Five Beams in thine eye, or, 'Beam me up Scotty'

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:17 am

Not a big White fan, but the others I find to my liking (I agree the Bookers is to damn hot - like a kick in the teeth)...

There is a Beam for every mood...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Beam

Unread postby Triple B » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:23 pm

I second the vote for Old Forester 86. Cheaper than Beam Black and no loss (to me at least) in flavor quality. Beam White is for shooting with friends, not sipping. I tried Knob Creek and loved it immediately. In fact, I think I'm going to compare it and Old Grand Dad tonight. By the way Eggman, How 'bout them HOGS!
Triple B

Make mine Beam black label

Unread postby Eggman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:00 am

Howdy,

TripleB: I'll have to try some Old Forester 86. BTW, I think NE Louisiana (ULM)isn't as strong as the 'Hogs! I think your Tide'll have thier hands full playing a 6-6 Colorado squad, but 'Bama will win, I'll be cheering for them while I'm at the game. Independance stadium is 20 minutes from my house in Bossier City.

Eggman
Eggman

Bourbon, Bama, etc

Unread postby Triple B » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:05 am

Yeah, I just finished the Bama/Colorado game (with a little help from Mr. Daniel); a bit of a disappointment. I really thought 4 million bought more than that. Anyways, I'm looking forward to watching LSU beat the snot out of the Buckeyes.
Definitely try the Old Forester, it competes favorably with Jim Beam, IMHO.
Cheers.
Triple B

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:57 am

get yourself a big bottle for that game... not sure if either team will dominate... might need to bring in a good pac 10 team to clean up :notworthy:
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Old Forester 86 vs. JBB

Unread postby Eggman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:05 am

Howdy,

For the record, I like JBW; it's good in Diet Coke (my preferred method of Bourbon consumption), but JBB is better.
Triple B and anyone else, how does Old Forester 86 compare to Jim Beam Black? Is it a similar taste profile, just good in it's own right and different or..?
Triple B: It looked like Bama would send all the TV viewers away before halftime! I give Colorado credit for making a game of it. 'Bama's "D" was too fast and strong. I'm sure glad LSU gets 'Bama in Baton Rouge next year, with ya'll's defense getting so much better. Congrats to 'Bama for winning the Indy Bowl; the 'Bama side was full, too!

Eggman

PS: I love College football and it was an honor to say that I saw Alabama play. And let's not forget Colorado, who won a Nat'l Championship just one year prior to 'Bama's last Nat'l title. "Ralphie" was really impressive!
Eggman

Unread postby Martian » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:19 pm

I have noticed a taste similarity between Old Forester 100 and JBB. I have not tried OF 86. I don't like either one, however. Both would be fine for mixing. I much prefer KC to either one.
Martian

Beam Black versus Old Forester

Unread postby Triple B » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Well, I'm no expert. I've only been enjoying (drinking) bourbon for about 4 months now. However since you asked, here's what I've tasted and thought:
Jim Beam White - first two bottles, ok, nothing exceptional
Jim Beam Black - got me used to the higher proof, definitely a better taste, but again nothing to dream about
Old Forester 86 - Younger age, but the taste seems more complex than any other 4 year old. The price is on par with JBW, but the proof is as high as JBB and the flavor is superior. My new standard pour.
Knob Creek - The first glass was amazing. Since trying some others I'm less enthused, but not to such a degree that I won't buy it again.
Bulleit - bought it for the proof and the bottle, flavor seemed one-dimensional. Will try again, probably won't buy again.
Elijah Craig - Very acceptable, especially for the first bourbon of the night.
Old Forester Signature 100 - Very significant alcohol; easy to get in deep, but again, great flavor for the price. Consider ice.
Ancient Age - cheap, shot it, don't remember much after that.
Old Grand Dad - very happy, especially compared to JBW (same price).
I also have Woodford Reserve and Elmer T. Lee on the shelf, I'm waiting on the right occasion for them. I've tried Maker's Mark in a bar, and wish I could have the $6 back.
Hope that helps
B
Triple B

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight