Ever hear of "Vintage Bourbon?"

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Ever hear of "Vintage Bourbon?"

Unread postby KFo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:09 am

Hello all. I've been enjoying the reading on these forums. Over the last year I'd decided to begin enjoying bourbon more regularly maybe even become a bit of a bourbon connoisseur. As I've been sampling various bourbons, avoiding the really spendy stuff for now, I was browsing around for my next couple of purchases when I ran across this bourbon called "Vintage Bourbon." They've got 17, 21, and 23 year old bottlings. I've attached a picture of the bottle from the BevMo website to see if it rings any bells for anyone. Might this be some sort of select blend?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

PS - are there any SoCal members out there?
Attachments
78457.jpg
78457.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 10125 times
KFo

Unread postby Mark » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:09 am

Vintage Bourbon is put out by Ky Bourbon Distilers, which is owned by the Kulsveens. Drew Kulsveen is a very nice guy and once in a blue moon he gets the chance to check in and make a post. Here's their website with the page info on vintage bourbon: http://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/vintage_line.php
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:25 am

This is one of my very favorites. My first pick is the 17 year old. I've been to BevMo in L.A. and they have a surprisingly great selection. My brother lives there and that's one of our must do visits when I'm there.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:26 am

Kevin,
None of these are blends. They are all Straight Bourbon Whiskey at different ages.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Joe,
You are correct in they are not blended whiskey as defined as whiskey with neutral spirits, but Drew told me none of his bourbons are the product of any one distillery. He creates the flavor profile by "marrying" or some would say "blending" straight bourbons of different ages from different distilleries to create the flavor profile he wants. I agree with Gayle here in that I prefer the 17yo flavor over the older ones. But I don't care for a whole lot of wood dominating the flavor of my bourbon so I tend to prefer bourbons and ryes at about 10 -15 years of age.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby KFo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Good morning all. Thanks for the link to the distiller's website. I guess I was trying to say what Mike clarifys; Vintage is from multiple distillerys. I'll catch on the appropriate vocabulary time goes by. :wink:

Along the lines of BevMo, I'm always pleasantly surprised with their local stock and frequent $2-4 off sales make them a regular stop for me.

Regards,
Kevin
KFo

Unread postby Mark » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:25 pm

I'll agree with you Kevin. I was stationed in Cali. for some years and BevMo became a regular stop. At the time back then I wasn't into bourbon yet but they had a great beer selection as well and they routinely had sales on some great brews.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:52 am

I have a bottle of the 17 year and love it. I can't get it here in VA so hopefully when I'm golfing in SC next month I'll come across a bottle down there.
ggilbertva

Return to Bourbon, Straight