Best Water to use for cutting

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Best Water to use for cutting

Unread postby ChicagoMike » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:08 pm

What's the best water to use in pouring a bourbon and water ?
"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..." (Keith Richards)
ChicagoMike

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:42 am

I would say any clorine free bottled water will be fine. Distilled water works as well.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby ChicagoMike » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:54 pm

bourbonv wrote:I would say any clorine free bottled water will be fine. Distilled water works as well.

I was wondering about distilled water... it's extremely "dry" in flavor and even has different hydrogen bond strength (weaker), I think, because of all the steaming and removal of minerals, etc.

It would be interesting to do a comparison to see if spring water or "plain old osmosis-filtered bottle water" is better...

Maybe it doesn't make much difference...
Last edited by ChicagoMike on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChicagoMike

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:46 am

I use Brita-filtered Chicago tap water for all drinking purposes, including the dilution of whiskey, and I'm happy with it.
Last edited by cowdery on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:29 am

cowdery wrote:I used Brita-filtered Chicago tap water for all drinking purposes, including the dilution of whiskey, and I'm happy with it.

Do you glow in the dark Chuck?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby jburlowski » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:25 pm

cowdery wrote:I used Brita-filtered Chicago tap water for all drinking purposes, including the dilution of whiskey, and I'm happy with it.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:39 pm

I don't even filter my Chicago city water but I tend to cut my bourbon almost never and when I do it's normally something I'm not to worried about ruining. I do however use it straight out of the tap for homebrewing and it has a perfectly fine profile for that.
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby Mark » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:56 pm

I never cut or add water to my bourbon too... The only time I do is when I add the occasional ice cube and then its just nyc tap water... I've never noticed it to make a difference.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:02 pm

I use my brother's method. I take an empty Pappy's bottle, fill it with distilled water that I buy in a gallon jug and put a bar pourer in it and then put it in the fridge. If it's a high proof, it will proof it down a bit and also chill it. Seems to work good.[/b]
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:28 pm

My own view on this is, I will dilute using any clean potable water to whatever proof I want at the time. This is essentially what the distilleries do. E.g., Very Old Barton comes in four proofs. The distillery does not say, I won't dilute the dumped barrel proof to 100, or to 90, they just do it, for those who want to buy a 100 proof or a 90 proof. Ditto for the various Blanton proofs, or JD, etc. True, the water used by distilleries is deionised or otherwise to their spec, but I just can't think the kind of water makes a lot of difference, not at the consumer level anyway.

So,I just keep the process going, or not, however I feel at the time.

This is not to say that all whiskey tastes as good at any proof. But why should I assume that, say, VOB 90 proof is the ideal proof? Especially when the house gives me four choices of VOB distinguished only by a difference in ethanol content? I should say I am aware some of the VOB proofs are made up of whiskeys of different ages than for the other proofs of VOB, but I don't think that matters for the point I am trying to make. Maybe Blanton proves the point better.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:39 pm

gillmang wrote:True, the water used by distilleries is deionised or otherwise to their spec, but I just can't think the kind of water makes a lot of difference, not at the consumer level anyway.

It'd certainly be an interesting experiment. The taste of bottled water, especially if you're talking mineral water or spring water, can really be pretty different between brands. I wouldn't be surprised if the much stronger taste of your bourbon overrode that but certain water profiles will emphasize certain flavors (at least in beer). Very hard water will emphasize bitterness, for example. Perhaps you might see some of that w/ your bourbon as well.

(That all said, I think you might be right.)
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:31 pm

I agree waters differ in flavor, but for practical purposes, (i.e., at consumer level) I think there is little difference. This is based of course on my experience, which is all I can attest to.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby ChicagoMike » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:52 am

LogicalFrank wrote:
gillmang wrote:True, the water used by distilleries is deionised or otherwise to their spec, but I just can't think the kind of water makes a lot of difference, not at the consumer level anyway.

It'd certainly be an interesting experiment. The taste of bottled water, especially if you're talking mineral water or spring water, can really be pretty different between brands. I wouldn't be surprised if the much stronger taste of your bourbon overrode that but certain water profiles will emphasize certain flavors (at least in beer). Very hard water will emphasize bitterness, for example. Perhaps you might see some of that w/ your bourbon as well.

(That all said, I think you might be right.)

... and distilled water is about the driest stuff going...

If you're just cutting to reduce the proof a few percent, then it probably doesn't matter much. If, however, you're serving a "bourbon & water" at a 70-30 or greater mix, presumably it could make a difference.

I find the poster's note about pouring distilled water into a pappy's bottle interesting. If the bottle still has dregs or aromatics of the residual bourbon, then distilled water will probably pick that up like a magnet, and it might make for a smoother water mixture.
ChicagoMike

Return to Bourbon, Straight