Eagle Rare SB vs. Eagle Rare 101

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Eagle Rare SB vs. Eagle Rare 101

Unread postby kystraightbourbon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:44 am

I recently bought the single barrel and decided to review them both side by side. In order to be fair and be assured that the 101 played fairly, I diluted it to 90 proof. It still didn't play fair.

The color difference was immediately evident. The SB was much lighter, a golden honey, while the 101 was dark amber.

If you read my reviews on both, I found the SB to be sharp and suggestive of a cheaper, less aged whiskey. It merely hinted at scents while the 101 delivered them with strength. It was like Popeye w/o spinach vs. Popeye with spinach.

Again, the flavor in the SB fell short. It was bitter and flat, while the 101 was sweet and flavorful.

Finishing, the SB offered up some burn. I did not find the 101 to have much at all. The little bit of water seemed to tame its spirit in this area. The finish was slightly longer with the 101 as well.

The 101 whipped the SB hands down. I cannot fathom why BT would replace one with the other. I would have kept both on the market.

It could be that my bottling was not a good one and that the person who chose it did so in error. Maybe they were having a bad day. I do not know. I wish I could agree with all the good reviews of the SB, but alas I cannot. My bottle will just have to sit on my shelf and look pretty.

Ken Lauwers
kystraightbourbon

Re: Eagle Rare SB vs. Eagle Rare 101

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:07 am

kystraightbourbon wrote:... I cannot fathom why BT would replace one with the other...

Same volume of whiskey = more bottles, higher price. Also, the lower-priced 101 was competing against its cousin, Buffalo Trace, in its price category.
Just 'bidness'.
TNbourbon

Re: Eagle Rare SB vs. Eagle Rare 101

Unread postby kystraightbourbon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:44 am

TNbourbon wrote:Same volume of whiskey = more bottles, higher price. Also, the lower-priced 101 was competing against its cousin, Buffalo Trace, in its price category.
Just 'bidness'.

All I have to say is "OUCH!"

Sometimes I get so nostalgic about whiskey that I forget there's a business side driving it all.

Now I'm going to have to compare ER 101 and BT.
kystraightbourbon

Return to Bourbon, Straight