Where to Buy and what to Buy while in KY?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Where to Buy and what to Buy while in KY?

Unread postby daisy3d » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:18 pm

On my way back down to Louisville soon and had a few questions.

Is it just as good to buy at the distillery as in a liquor store price wise?

And what should I pick up that I can't find else where outside of KY while in town? Of course other than VOB 100 and 4Roses SB & Small Batch, which are on the list.

Also, can you suggest the best places to shop while in town?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil D.
Brooklyn, MI
daisy3d

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:25 pm

If you're traveling down I-75, try Cork 'N Bottle at the first exit in KY south of the Ohio River bridge leaving Cincinnati. It's right ahead of you from the bottom of the ramp.
You'll find the prices at distillery gift shops comparable to nearby retail -- they gain nothing by underselling their product purveyors.
  • Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old
  • Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo BIB
  • Jim Beam 7yo white label, just because you can :D
  • Old Bardstown 10yo
TNbourbon

Unread postby daisy3d » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:02 am

Thanks! I'll be coming down through Indiana, but I'm sure I can find these around town. Anyone else, please chip in.

Cheers, Phil
Brooklyn, MI
Phil D.
Brooklyn, MI
daisy3d

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:16 am

Phil and Jen,
I hope we can do dinner at the Bistro sometime while you are in town. In the meantime, do go for the Four Roses products, maybe some Very Old Barton, Ancient, Ancient Age 10yo, and maybe top it off with some Birthday Bourbon.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby abcgroup » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:45 pm

"Best bet is Liquor Barn (502-491-0754). That number is for the Hurstbourne location, but they should know what their other stores have in stock."

Chuck Cowdery gave me this bit of advice when I was there and it was super great. There's a good store on Bardstown Rd across from Ear X-tacy and they have a good selection.

Pick up some Sazarac (sp?) when you're there. Stagg too. And if you see ANY Old Rip Van Winkle 90 or 107 proof, PLEASE let me know where you saw it. I need a couple bottles of this stuff.

Cheers,

abcgroup
abcgroup

Unread postby jomo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:47 pm

Will confirm. That Liquor Barn had PVW 20 year and 15 year in stock last night at amazing low prices compared to what I see in Louisiana. Between 12% and 22% below the cost I had seen back home with no tax on top of that.

Later,
Joe
jomo

Unread postby JH » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:25 pm

I also "buy big" when visiting KY. I agree with the above & my brother has 2 bottles of the fall Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B, along with a Stagg, waiting for me. I was a big fan of last year's Lot B, hopefully this year's is as good.
I also stock up on the 4 Roses SB (& small batch this year), Elmer T Lee (not available locally), & Old Forrester 100 proof (only 80 proof available here).
Good "hunting".
JH

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:54 pm

JH wrote: my brother has 2 bottles of the fall Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B, along with a Stagg, waiting for me. I was a big fan of last year's Lot B, hopefully this year's is as good.

Lot B is not part of the BT Antique Collection and, therefore is not part of the annual release program of BT. Lot B from before July 2005 is likely Stitzel-Weller and thereafter BT. It is continually released and, as far as I know, there is no way to tell what era it is from, let alone what year.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby daisy3d » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:10 pm

OK, here's my shopping list thus far (which I know I can't buy in MI):

4 Roses Singl B & Sml B
VOB 100
Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yr
Wathens
Old Forester 100

Anybody else have any other ideas for additions?

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input thus far!

Cheers,
Phil & Jen DeFant
Brooklyn, MI
Phil D.
Brooklyn, MI
daisy3d

Unread postby Mike » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:27 pm

If you cannot get the Saz in MI, get some of that.

I have only had the 'Baby Saz', but it is a winner! And, I got it in KY. As far as I know it is not available in GA.

Saz 18 is one of my top priorities when I next make it to KY.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby JH » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:22 am

"It is continually released and, as far as I know, there is no way to tell what era it is from, let alone what year. "

Thanks Joe, I didn't know that. I'm a newbie to this & first saw/tried the Lot B last fall, & liked it a lot. I was under the impression it was released only in the fall as I didn't see it on the shelves at the Lexington Liquor Barn after that & was told it was a limited release.

I get to/through KY a few times a year & any info or clarifications are greatly appreciated.
JH

Unread postby brendaj » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Hey Phil,
I second everything you've been told. (AAA would be a serious stock-up if it were me. I'm apprehensive about how much longer that will be around in its present expression.)

If you get time, you might want to trot thru The Party Source and Evergreen Liquors, both on Shelbyville Road. Last time I talked with him, Bill at Evergreen had a few bottles of the BT experimental stuff. And Party Source is a good place to find a 'sleeper'... :wink:

I y'all hook-up with Mike V., someone give me a ring.
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby daisy3d » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Now I just need to find the places! :)

-Phil & Jen DeFant
Brooklyn, MI
Phil D.
Brooklyn, MI
daisy3d

Unread postby Gojira » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:44 pm

Today I went to the Costco in Louisville today and discovered that Jim Rutledge had visited there some time in the last few days and had autographed at least a couple of cases of the Four Roses single barrel. He signed them on the bottle with a gold metallic pen.

I bought one for me and a couple for gifts for my brothers.

As noted elsewhere on this site, one doesn't have to be a Costco member to buy alcoholic beverages there. They only take Amex, their own credit cards, debit cards, and cash, so keep that in mind.
Gojira

Return to Bourbon, Straight