For Public View

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

For Public View

Unread postby Mike » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:16 pm

I have had a chance now to see all the posted pictures from the Bourbon Festival and the followup posts. I would like to take thie time to thank the picture takers (Brendaj, Joe Bourbon, and others) for posting so that those of us who weren't there could participate by proxy.

Congratulations again to Mike Veach for his induction into the Bourbon Hall of Fame. Never, in my opinion, was a person so deserving as Mike.

I like people in general and I can almost always find something good about anyone..............I consider this a gift, since I have so few other gifts.

With Mike Veach, it is a cinch that I would like him, because he is a model of good behavior. He fits the description of a gentleman in every respect.

He adheres to his own principles, is gracious to those who disagree, is willing to give credit where it belongs, holds his tongue when that is appropriate, and is a dedicated and tenacious scholar...........all wonderful qualities in a human being.

When I told him I planned to be at the Bourbon Festival, if only for a couple of the early days, he set up a tour and made plans for a memorable visit for me. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my plans and was unable to attend.

He graciously accepted my change of plans and went on with his own venue, and because he had already included other bourbon enthusiasts, he didn't miss a stride.

In my 64 years of life I can honestly say that I have had the pleasure of meeting and knowing (even though it is only through BE) few people of Mike Veach's quality. May he live long and prosper!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:10 am

Mike,
Thank you for the kind words. It is an honor to be part of the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame and I would have liked to have you and every other member there in person, but I guess the next best thing was to have Brenda and her camera there to document the event for those who could not make it. Personally I would rather have a real Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame and I would nominate two bourbons right now. My first would be a Very Very Extra Old Fitzgerald, 15 year old bottled in bond 1968-1983. My next would be Old Crow bottled in bond 1968-1973. These are two of the best bourbons I ever drank and deserve to be in my Hall of Fame.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:33 am

I had tendered congratulations earlier and renew them here most heartily.

Mike's knowledge is very great and all the more impressive since he shares freely what he knows.

I am sorry we could not spend any real time in B'town and this is always due to the schedules each must follow but next time will be better I hope. Anyway at least I saw Mike onstage helping at the auction of the rare items at the Getz Museum. His knowledge and opinions given as each item was auctioned no doubt helped secure the high knock-down prices achieved (much higher than I recall in the past). This is to the Getz' benefit, an excellent cause as we all know.

Kudos again and best wishes.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Thanks Gary,
I do hope the next time will include more time together. I have some Crown Royal waiting for you, compliments of Mike.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight