Four Roses too Feminine?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Four Roses too Feminine?

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:14 am

Kirin is launching Henry McKenna in Australia and New Zeeland. I helped Al Young at Four Roses get the historical background for the marketing firm handling the brand. The main reason they decided to launch a new, old brand, so to speak, rather than go into these markets with Four Roses is that Four Roses was not manly enough of a name. Do you think that Four Roses is too feminine of a name for bourbon?

I realise that most bourbons have names that appeal to men, as the fact is men are the largest market for bourbon. Even so, I never even thought about Four Rose in that context until Al told me this was the reason for the re-launch of Henry McKenna overseas in Australia and New Zealand. I also have to wonder if the brand really does appeal to the female market more than say Jim Beam?
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby NeoTexan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Perhaps it is just the power of suggestion but .....During the KBF Gala's I have been to, it seems as if they catered to the ladies. I seem to recall that there was a large contingency of ladies at their kiosk. Add them handing out temp tattoos to the ladies and it all adds up in my head.
NeoTexan

Unread postby Oregone » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:25 pm

Speaking of Four Roses . . . does anyone know where I can buy some? I thought that at least one of the bottlings was supposed to be generally available in the US, but I can't find it online or anywhere else.

Help!
Oregone

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm

For now, it's only sold in Kentucky.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Oregone » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:33 pm

I need to make a friend in Louisville.

Anyone want Oregon beer?
Oregone

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:33 pm

Hey Oregone, I'm going to Burbank, CA during Thanksgiving week. My brother and I will be having tastings every day, Four Roses included. If you're in the area, you're welcome to join us.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:35 pm

I would love some Oregon beer.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Oregone » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:40 pm

So.... now we're talking. I think we can work out a little shipping exchange.

:D
Oregone

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:46 pm

Oregone, I'm at gaylehack@hotmail.com
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:07 am

Four Roses has a supply problem. Under Seagrams they have been making their whiskey for the foriegn market without plans of selling their bourbon in the US. Now they have to increase production to meet the needs of a market in the states. This takes time since you make bourbon today for the market of the future that could be at the least 4 years and more likely 6, 8 or 10 years. I think eventually Four Roses will be available nationwide, but it will take time. Until then we Kentuckians get to be the only market for Four Roses.

Four Roses can make the bourbon. They have some obligations to Diageo that will slow down the process, but they will make all that they need. I expect a lot of good things to come out of this distillery before the decade is over.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:40 am

As Mike says, a whiskey maker can't respond to demand the way, say, a vodka maker can. From a business standpoint, the idea of trying to predict how much of my product I'm going to be able to sell in five or six years is terrifying, but that's what whiskey makers have to do. I don't know if Four Roses is operating at capacity, but most American whiskey distillers are right now and are making moves to increase capacity. However, they have to be cautious. Sales are good right now and have been for a few years, so industry-wide production is increasing by about 5 percent per year. I have no idea what Kirin's long-term plan is for Four Roses, but it seems that once they have the ability to expand their market coverage, the demand will be there.

I am told that the American whiskey business in Japan sucks right now, so they may very well be looking for some expansion markets.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:32 pm

cowdery wrote:I am told that the American whiskey business in Japan sucks right now, so they may very well be looking for some expansion markets.

It's so nice of them to consider the US an expansion market.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:20 pm

I suspect that they will be conservative in their initial production levels. They will want to see how well Four Roses sells in Kentucky and how well some of their new products fare. I think they will have to be optimistic about the reception of their new products. The single barrel seems to sell well and when I tasted the small batch at the Bistro, they had to open a second bottle. They had already sold one bottle and they only got it in this week.

They are also going to have to have whiskey to support the Henry McKenna overseas. If it takes off, they will have to increase production to keep up with the demand.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby photogjunkie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:53 am

Last week I checked out an older liquor store in Austin and couldn't believe my eyes when I found a lone, dusty bottle of Four Roses American Blend. How this ended up in Texas is beyond my understanding, but now it sits in line in the bunker at home. I'm sure this is the lowest expression Four Roses makes, but for $10.99, I just couldn't pass it up.
"Now it is time for that mellow moment"
photogjunkie

Return to Bourbon, Straight