George T. Stagg 141.2 Proof

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

George T. Stagg 141.2 Proof

Unread postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 pm

Has anyone tried the new release of Stagg at 141.2 proof? I have started to see this in many stores.
Virginia Gentleman

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:14 pm

Actually, I think this may be a case of old stock being moved on to the shelves. This sounds like a version from two yearts ago. I don't think the new Stagg is due to come out before September.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Thanks, Mike. I guess the Virginia ABC stores had some in the warehouse they are just now getting out to the stores. Do you know what year this came out?
Virginia Gentleman

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:37 pm

I think it was 2003, but I could be wrong.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby ChuckMick » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:Thanks, Mike. I guess the Virginia ABC stores had some in the warehouse they are just now getting out to the stores. Do you know what year this came out?

VG,

I think it was the Fall 2005 release.

ChuckMick
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby ChuckMick » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:10 pm

VG,

I think it was the Fall 2005 release.

ChuckMick[/quote]

GEORGE T. STAGG
KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKEY

Distiller
Buffalo Trace Distillery, Franklin County, Kentucky

Age Profile
Year of Distillation: Spring of 1990
Release: Fall of 2005
Release Brand Name: George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Proof for Release: 141.2

Recipe
Large Grain: Kentucky Corn; Distillers Grade #1 and #2
Small Grain: Minnesota Rye
Finish Grain: North Dakota Malted Barley

Cooking / Fermentation
Milling screen: #10
Cooking Temperature: 240 degrees Fahrenheit
Water: Kentucky Limestone with Reverse Osmosis
Fermentation: Carbon Steel / Black Iron fermenter
Mash: Sour

Distillation and Aging
Distillation: Double Distilled; beer still and doubler
Proof off still: 135 Proof
Barrel: New, White Oak; #4 Char; Charred for 55 seconds
Barrel Maker: Independent Stave, Lebanon, KY
Barrel entry proof: 124 proof
Barrel size: 53 liquid gallons; 66.25 Original Proof Gallons
Warehouse: Warehouse I
Floor: 2nd, 4th, and 8th
Evaporation Loss: 58.59% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation

Bottling
Barrel selection: 95 hand picked barrels
Filtration: None
Product Age: 15 years and 4 months old at bottling
Tasting Comment: “Rich, chocolate, chewy”
ChuckMick

Re: George T. Stagg 141.2 Proof

Unread postby ChuckMick » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:29 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:Has anyone tried the new release of Stagg at 141.2 proof? I have started to see this in many stores.

As I was looking at the tasting notes for Stagg I noticed that there are no tasting notes for the Fall 2005 release. Now if my taster worked better than I like or dislike I would gladly add my tasting notes but people want flowery copy and someone who is eloquent in speech which I am not. So VG after you taste it could you please add your tasting notes. Mike I think I have another bottle of this around here how about we get together and you can do the notes also?

ChuckMick
ChuckMick

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:01 am

Chuck,
I would be happy to do so.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Just to give my own take on this, I also do not want to read, or write, flowery copy. I like to read descriptions of the product (in whatever wording people want to use) to understand it better and decide whether to buy it.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:41 pm

Gary,
I think Chuck is too modest in his tasting ability here. He has a quite good palate but he does not have the confidence to write the notes himself. I don't think anybody will ever accuse my notes as being "flowery" or "eloquent" but more "short and to the point". I have tried to convince Chuck and JD both to do some tasting notes but both shy off from doing so. I might actually have some luck with Chuck's wife, Jean. She was quite good at picking out flavors at the party the other night. Maybe we can get Chuck to post her notes in the reviews.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Gayle Hack » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:48 pm

I guess I fall into the category with Chuck and JD. I know what smells good to my nose, and I can sometimes identify something. But, I don't think I am good enough to post any tasting notes, because I don''t think I can separate all the different aromas.

Gayle Hack
Gayle Hack

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:13 pm

ChuckMick wrote:
Now if my taster worked better than I like or dislike I would gladly add my tasting notes but people want flowery copy
ChuckMick

Just to give my own take on this, I also do not want to read, or write, flowery copy. I like to read descriptions of the product (in whatever wording people want to use) to understand it better and decide whether to buy it.
Gary

ChuckMikc and Gary, First of all, I don't think most people want flowery copy, certainly Gary doesn't and I am sure there are many others.

I am undoubtly the reviewer in your minds, and I admit I can sometimes go over the top. I like the reviews of Mike Veach and Gary Gillman (and others) because they come from a vast knowledge and experience with bourbon. They are short, accurate, and very reliable.

Even though there are many people among the BE members (and non-members) who do not care for my reviews (and maybe not for me), I try to write my reviews as I experience drinking bourbon, with lots of outside assciations.

But believe me, I do not consider my reviews to be superior in any way to anyone else's. I have purchased many bourbons over the past year and a half, almost all based on the 'short and sweet' reviews of others, so they matter a lot to me.

When I joined BE many months ago, I said I was a novice who wanted to learn more about bourbon. And I still consider myself a listener and learner. At first I had a lot of difficulty in identifying the aromas, tastes and flavors and found that the best way to improve was to write reviews. That led me to pay more attention, be more patient, and to try to put together words that described what I was experiencing. I relied on Mike and Gary and others to even know where to begin.

It pains be a bit that people don't care for my reviews, but I understand that, like some bourbons, they aren't to everyone's taste (maybe not to most people's taste). The same can probably be said about my 'stories', and sometimes overlong posts.

Perhaps it is time for me to stop the reviews, stories, opinionated posts and move on. I have learned a great deal and have enjoyed my association with Bourbon Enthusiast.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby White Lightning » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:21 am

Mike wrote:
ChuckMick wrote:
Now if my taster worked better than I like or dislike I would gladly add my tasting notes but people want flowery copy
ChuckMick

Gary

ChuckMikc and Gary, First of all, I don't think most people want flowery copy, certainly Gary doesn't and I am sure there are many others.

I am undoubtly the reviewer in your minds, and I admit I can sometimes go over the top. I like the reviews of Mike Veach and Gary Gillman (and others) because they come from a vast knowledge and experience with bourbon. They are short, accurate, and very reliable.

Even though there are many people among the BE members (and non-members) who do not care for my reviews (and maybe not for me), I try to write my reviews as I experience drinking bourbon, with lots of outside assciations.

But believe me, I do not consider my reviews to be superior in any way to anyone else's. I have purchased many bourbons over the past year and a half, almost all based on the 'short and sweet' reviews of others, so they matter a lot to me.

When I joined BE many months ago, I said I was a novice who wanted to learn more about bourbon. And I still consider myself a listener and learner. At first I had a lot of difficulty in identifying the aromas, tastes and flavors and found that the best way to improve was to write reviews. That led me to pay more attention, be more patient, and to try to put together words that described what I was experiencing. I relied on Mike and Gary and others to even know where to begin.

It pains be a bit that people don't care for my reviews, but I understand that, like some bourbons, they aren't to everyone's taste (maybe not to most people's taste). The same can probably be said about my 'stories', and sometimes overlong posts.

Perhaps it is time for me to stop the reviews, stories, opinionated posts and move on. I have learned a great deal and have enjoyed my association with Bourbon Enthusiast.
Wrong! IMHO, a review is a review. People that don't wish to read don't have to. Please continue to review things as you see / feel / taste them.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Brewer » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:44 am

My advice: write it as you see/smell/taste it. Short and to the point, eloquent with descriptors (if you're able, we know we're all not able to do so), and that's that. To me there has not been a single review that was in any way "wrong". I love readin' 'em all. In fact, I appreciate the variety of styles. If we were all writing the same 'ole, same 'ole time after time, that'd be pretty damn boring to me.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:34 am

I hope my comments were not misunderstood. I enjoy Mike's reviews very much (I just finished reading the new passel of them).

"Flowery" for me suggests not poetic but extraneous or empty wording, "gilding the lily", being wordy without saying anything that actually describes or suggests something useful about the drink. As I said in my original note, people can in their own words convey much of importance about whiskey. Mike does this in his way. He uses metaphor and simile creatively. But if someone says," this is the bourbon that first fired my soul and delivered me into the heavens...". That does not help me understand the product.

On the other hand, people should feel free to write what they want, as Bob said. No one should feel inhibited (and I usually find any remarks, taken as a whole, of some value).

What I really meant in my post is that I don't think I write in a flowery way, that's all.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight