grand dad's lost his nose...

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

grand dad's lost his nose...

Unread postby artfag » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:44 am

had some grand dad, bonded. Third time from this bottle. Strangely though it seems it's lost most of it's aroma. Very faint, not much of anything. Tried a splash of water to see if I could get anything out of it but no luck. Just wondering if anyone's got an idea. The bottle has only sat for a few days a little over halfway filled so it's not like it's really had time to go downhill. Hell, a wine would last longer than this. As for taste and mouthfeel, all's well as it was the first time.
carpe diem.
artfag

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:01 am

Did you use a different type of glassware? The glassware can make a difference on the nose.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby artfag » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:50 am

Yes, I did. The first time was actually out of a mug since I was at a friend's and he didn't have any smaller glasses. This time I tried both an old fashioned and a snifter. All the snifter did was bring out the alcohol. It smells weaker in the bottle though as well.
carpe diem.
artfag

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:20 pm

Different glasses can make a difference. Have you tried it out of the mug again? If so is it still different? I suspect the mug may have been shaped so as to help concentrate the aromas - narrower mouth than base or something similar. Try the snifter again but let it breath a few minutes before nosing the bourbon.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight