movin on up...

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

movin on up...

Unread postby artfag » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:51 am

So I've mostly been shopping in the 10-15 dollar range for bourbon but I've decided it's time to move up (just a little) Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Looking around the 20-30 dollar range. Considering WT rare breed. So far I find myself a fan of Old Overholt and Ancient Ancient 10 star. I recently had Basil Haydens at a bar and found it pleasant and easy to drink, yet hardly worth the price. I was going to try Booker's or Baker's but let the bartender push me towards the Basil. Anyway, let me know if you have any ideas. I'm in Ohio by the way so I don't have a lot of options. Kentucky trip will be happening shortly so suggestions for that are also welcome.
carpe diem.
artfag

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:09 am

If you make it to KY, I heartily recommend that you get a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel. It will cost around $32, and worth every single penny!

My opinion is that FRSB is the best buy in bourbondom at this time. If you try it, give us a review. I find that doing reviews gives me a greater appreciation of bourbon.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:17 am

Four Roses Single Barrel is a good choice. Other single barrels of note should include Elmer T Lee and Wathen's. Some small batch bourbons you should consider include Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, and Russell Reserve. Some standard brands that you may want to try include Old Grand Dad, both the 114 proof and Bottled in Bond, Old Forester 100 proof and Old Charter 12yo "Classic 90".

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby jburlowski » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:21 pm

I's second the Elmer T Lee and Buffalo Trace. Also Weller Centenniel or 12.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:15 pm

Try everything! Damn the reviews & ratings!
bunghole

Return to Bourbon, Straight