Global Warming

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Global Warming

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:41 am

In the press releases section there is an article about global warming destroying bourbon production. It was obviously written by someone who did not understand bourbon production. The way they describe it, there would be quicker aging of the whiskey rather than the opposite as they claim. It sure would save some distillers a fortune in heating their warehouses in the winter.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Yes, I especially like the 'darkly humorous' dumbass quote:
"Global warming will probably wipe out all of the southern mint supplies. No more mint juleps."
Anyone that has ever grown mint knows that once it takes hold, you can't kill that sh*t... :lol: (And truth be known, I don't know any Kentuckian that drinks a Mint Julep more than once or twice a year anyway... :roll: )
Wonder what they paid that guy to do that 'study'?
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:09 pm

I thought there might be some interest in that article! :wink:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:11 pm

I've had a couple of people ask me about that global warming thing. Apparently, some people take it quite seriously, as they become perturbed when you laugh at them.

I found the story about the fire at the VFW more interesting. Please, boys and girls, feel free to attempt to ignite any bourbon in your collection. You might get Stagg or Booker's to flame up weakly, but I doubt even that.

Of course, when you're cooking with spirits they will flambe because the heat makes the alcohol evaporate. If you want to make a drink flame, you need something like Bacardi 151 or Everclear and, even with that, you actually have to try to burn yourself.

That story seems to say that the attempted ignition of whiskey in a glass spread to the half gallon bottle, which haven't been sold for more than 25 years.

I think they must have been drinking gasoline.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:26 pm

"a patron at a VFW post accidentally ignited a half-gallon bottle of whiskey while trying to light a shot of the liquor."

I thought this pretty amazing, almost worthy of Letterman's Stupid Human Tricks. How the hell do you do this? Was his aim so bad that he lit the bottle instead of the glass? Maybe he thought the bottle was the glass? :roll: People certainly are amazing. :lol:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Brewer wrote:"a patron at a VFW post accidentally ignited a half-gallon bottle of whiskey while trying to light a shot of the liquor."

Only in Pennsylvania!!!! We got em.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Bourbon, Straight