How would you spend $100??

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:12 pm

I am not sure what is going on. I do know that for years the Texas market was the largest market for Weller products (Weller, Water, Wonderfull! was their ad campaign). I would guess, and without seeing the bags and bottles it will have to be a guess, that either these bags are something older done by the distributer in Texas. The distributer put a lot of their own money in the advertising campaign that built the Weller brand in Texas and it would not be suprising for to find out they had special bags made for their market. I have never seen Old Weller Antique marketed as the Heritage Collection, which was a different concept created in the mid 1990's by United Distillers. The Weller in that collection was Weller Centennial 100 proof.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby photogjunkie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:34 pm

I know what you are referring to as the Weller Centennial being part of the Bourbon Heritage Collection. That collection came originally in boxes, though just last week I saw half a dozen bottles of Weller Centennial Heritage for sale without the original boxes, so obviously the boxes were tossed out by the liqour store owner for space considerations.

Why these bottles were placed in Bourbon Heritage Collection Bags when no other Bourbon Heritage Collection expression to my knowledge came in a bag (never have seen a red bag)...they were in boxes...is a mystery to me? All I do know is this Old Weller Antique 107 was special in some way. The bottle alone makes it special and different. As I stated earlier, I read it was supposed to be sold in the duty-free shops, but special permission was obtained to release it for sale in the US.

The odd rarity of the Bourbon Heritage Collection perhaps. For completists...you don't have them all and I'll do my best to drink up all I can find. Yummy stuff.
"Now it is time for that mellow moment"
photogjunkie

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:50 am

Yhe Weller 107 has always been one of my favorite products. When I was at U D there were some ideas about expanding the duty free sales, but then they closed the archives as a prelude to selling their bourbon brands. Of course the Heritage Collection got split up with Weller and Old Charter sold to Buffalo Trace and Old Fitzgerald to Heaven Hill with U.D. (soon to become Diageo) keeping Dickel and Harper. I supect that maybe what you have are some bottles that were packaged for Duty free and given a special bag and title, but never made it because they were going to sell the brand. Instead, they dumped them into the Texas market, where Weller always sold well. I would say you are lucky. If you see more, buy them. I am sure you will not regret it.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Joeluka » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:02 pm

I have one of these Weller 107 Antiques Louisvile with a Black Bourbon Heritage bag. I bought it at LeNells' a couple of months ago. She doesnt have any left but maybe she knows something about them.
Joeluka

Unread postby Mike » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:17 am

bunghole wrote:Some days I'd plop those hundred smackers down for a bottle of 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Straight Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, and drink it straight from the bottle.

Other days I'd buy as much 10 year old Ancient Ancient Age as I could get.

Then there are days that I might also like to eat and smoke. so I'd take a bottle of Blanton's; a nice steak supper, and an AVO Signature Lonesdale.

:arrow: ima :idea:

Now that I have had 2 months to think about it, Bunghole.........your are exactly right.........forget planning it out, go for what you want on that particular day........if it is 'found' money, live a little!

Sometimes Bunghole is downright brilliant!! And sometimes, some of us are downright slow!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:17 pm

Mike wrote:Sometimes Bunghole is downright brilliant!! And sometimes, some of us are downright slow!!

Mike, I just try to live as whimsiclly driven a life as is possible.

:arrow: ima :wink:
bunghole

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight