How would you spend $100??

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

How would you spend $100??

Unread postby Dave Lesan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:22 pm

If you were given $100 to spend on bourbon - how would you spend it?

Have your eye on a $100 bottle?

Go for quantity?

A compromise - 2 @ $40 and 1 @ $20.

What would you do and why? What do you consider the best value in bourbon? Is the $100 bottle worth $100 or more... and why?
Dave Lesan

Unread postby Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:42 pm

I guess for me it would depend on what I've had before, what I have on hand presently etc. Are you just getting into bourbon and want to try differing pours, or are you 'experienced' and want something higher end than what you've been having?

Those are just some considerations... Now me personally, I'd get a few different things that are bargain bourbons and this way I'd be able to do some side by sides... Then, after I did that (or if I did it already) I'd take the $100 and spend it on something special like a bottle of Pappy 20 if I never tried it.

If you do want to try some differing bourbons that are not wallet breakers I'd go for WT Russell's Reserve, Old Forester 100, Buffalo Trace (if you can get it but mail order you should), ORVW 107 and I think there may be enough left for hmmm, say Eagle Rare Single Barrel. If you want even more forget the WT RR and maybe get a Bartons 90 or 100 proof and an Old GrandDad 114. There are so many things you could get though, these are just a few that jumped into my head.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:45 pm

Assuming I had no bourbon and this $100 amount could be renewed in a resonable amount of time....... and, by the way, all of these selections are available to me now, my choices would be:

Old Fitzgerald 1849 (the 8 YO) - $14
Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B 12 YO - $38
Jeffersons Reserve - $46

TOTAL - $98 before taxes

If I lived in KY, I would get:

Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO - $13
Old Fitzgerald 1849 (the 8 YO) - $14
Four Roses Single Barrel - $32
Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B 12 YO - $38

TOTAL of $97 before taxes

If the $100 purchase had to last me for a good while....... and, by the way, all are available to me now, I would probably spend it on:

2 bottles of Old Fitzgerald 1849 - $28,
2 bottles of Old Grandad Bottled in Bond $36
2 bottles of Eagle Rare 10 YO (101) - $40

TOTAL of $104

If I lived in KY and the $100 purchase had to last a while I would get:

2 bottles of Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond - $36
2 bottles of Old Grandad Bottled in Bond - $36
2 bottles of Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO- $26

TOTAL of $98

I could be happy with these last two choices, but would occasionally pine for the Van Winkle, the Jeffersons Reserve, or the Four Roses.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:51 pm

In treat ourselves mode: 2 bottles of ER 17 special ordered at the local VA ABC store;

In stock up mode - 2 1.75L of EW 1783 for Tina, 4 liters of AAA 10 yr for Dave;

If we just stumbled into the store of our dreams that stocks the non-VA items of choice - 2 ORVW 10 yr 107 for Tina, 2 Van Winkle Ryes for Dave.

Not your exactly question, but my biggest whiskey regret thus far is not buying every Van Winkle Rye I've ever seen. More pertinent to your question - I'd drop $100 for one more bottle of there was no potential alternative.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Dave Lesan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:48 am

First of all – Thank all of you for your replies thus far.

I am somewhat “new” to bourbons and while I have purchased what I perceive to be several very good bottles (at the guidance of my local liquor store’s resident expert) – I am interested in what other recommendations this group could give me.

Some of the bourbons that I have purchased and enjoyed the most thus far are:
Elmer T Lee
Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare

I do not drink enough that price is a strong consideration – but why pay $50+ for a bottle when there is a $25 bottle that is just as good?

From what I have seen on this board and from your replies anything Van Winkle would probably be worth trying – regrettably my local liquor store does not carry anything. I go on vacation next week and will keep my eyes open for some of the bottles that have been suggested and see if I can find something that is not available locally. Always adding to the collection…. (a fair amount of subtracting as well).

Again thank all of you for your input – I am just learning the nuances of bourbon. But it is one of the best learning experiences that I have had.
Dave Lesan

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:55 am

If I had $100 to spend on whiskey I would buy:

i) One Wild Turkey straight rye or Rittenhouse bottled-in-bond

ii) Very Old Barton (any proof but preferably 86, I like that for neat sipping)

iii) Elmer T. Lee

iv) Stagg Fall '05 (which really is a bottle and half or more when you adjust for proof).

This is about $100 in total, if necessary to get the total under $100, leave out the rye. Maybe substituting Heaven Hill 6 year old BIB or the 10 year old BIB for the rye would still get me under $100. Substitution option for the Stagg: Four Roses Single Barrel, which may allow to get the others first proposed at under $100 in total.

To get all these is not easy but they would offer an excellent range of flavours, quality and value.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 am

I would invest in some good glassware to make any whiskey you were drinking more enjoyable. Both Heaven Hill and Buffalo Trace have the Glencairn whiskey glasses for sale for about $7.00 each. I would hope you could order them from their website. It is well worth the investment.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Some days I'd plop those hundred smackers down for a bottle of 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Straight Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, and drink it straight from the bottle.

Other days I'd buy as much 10 year old Ancient Ancient Age as I could get.

Then there are days that I might also like to eat and smoke. so I'd take a bottle of Blanton's; a nice steak supper, and an AVO Signature Lonesdale.

:arrow: ima :idea:
bunghole

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:24 am

Mike . . . YOU have the right idea! Glassware is well-spent money. It makes all the difference.
BourbonBalls

Unread postby sevenmag » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:33 am

Then there are days that I might also like to eat and smoke. so I'd take a bottle of Blanton's; a nice steak supper, and an AVO Signature Lonesdale.

That would be one fine evening. :thumbright:

I think I'd get a bottle of Elmer T.
Blanton's and yet another bottle of Knob Creek.
sevenmag

Unread postby photogjunkie » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:44 am

I'm new to this board, so I'll start here with my first post. First....a 750ml bottle of Rare Breed 03-RB for $35. Then a litre of SW Old Weller Antique Heritage Collection for $28 followed with a 1.75L Louisville bottle of Old Charter "The Classic 90" 12 year old for $35. I guess I'm out of cash now.
"Now it is time for that mellow moment"
photogjunkie

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:53 pm

I am confused here by your middle choice - do you mean Weller Antique 107 or the Weller Centennial 100 proof fromthe Heritage Colection?
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby photogjunkie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:53 am

The Old Weller Antique 107 I'm referring to is the litre bottle with the Louisville bottling which had a handwritten letter and number on each bottle. Some of them came inside a bag which had Bourbon Heritage Collection written on it, some came without the bag. This is not, as far as I know, part of the standard Bourbon Heritage Collection which you are thinking of. I read somewhere that these bottles did contain SW product and were meant to be sold duty-free, but were released for sale in the US. I see them ocassionally, and pick them up when I can. Good stuff.
photogjunkie

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:07 pm

The Weller Antique is a very good bourbon and a good choice. I think your liquor store may be mixing bags because the Weller Antique bag was red and had Weller 107 of it. The Heritage Collection bags were for those products. Still, if you can get more of that Weller, I would grab it up. Great bourbon.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby photogjunkie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:39 pm

So what exactly was supposed to be in the black/blue W.L.Weller Bag which has Bourbon Heritage Collection in gold lettering? Everytime I've seen these at several liqour stores here in Texas they all have contained a litre of Old Weller 107, with a handwritten number, Louisville on the label, and are bottled in the container used for the long-gone, but not forgotten, Very Very Old Fitzgerald....golden hairs and all.
photogjunkie

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight