Bestest Bourbon Buys

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bestest Bourbon Buys

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:27 am

Now, me and my dog Barleycorn got to talking last night. In our 4 or 5 years (we reserve the right to change them numbers of years without notice when we want to) of drinking bourbon, what are the best buys we have come across. This will take into account sales (of which they ain't many), how much we like sumthin, and what it cost.

I allowed Barleycorn to act just like it was as much his money as mine, even though none of this cost him a damn cent! I didn't bring that up and neither did he.

Here they is:

Evan Williams 1783 - 750 ml for $12
Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO - 750 ml for $13
Old Fitzgerald 1849 (the 8 YO version) - 750 ml for $14
Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond - one liter for $15
Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond - 750 ml for $18
Eagle Rare 10 YO (old version) - 750 ml for $20
Four Roses Single Barrel - 750 ml for $32 (in my opinion this is the best buy of currently available bourbons - if you can get to KY to get it)
Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 YO Lot B - 750 ml for $38 (second best buy)
Wild Turkey 12 YO - 750 ml for $40 (not available except the odd bottle where you can find it, but my best purchase in terms of value yet)
Old Rip Van Winkle 15 YO - 750 ml for $40 (she's a goner, but I got me 4 bottles laid back)
Jeffersons Reserve 12 - 17 YO - 750 ml for $46
A H Hirsch 16 YO - 750 for $70 (still available some places - a classic well balanced bourbon in my opinion)
George T Stagg both 2005 versions - 750 ml for $70 (some of y'all can buy this for less)
Pappy Van Winkle 20 YO - 750 ml for $70 (ain't cheap, but it is worth it - I always, always have some on hand!)
Wild Turkey Tribute 15 YO -750 ml for $90 (she's a goner too - I bought 4 bottles and am working on the last now - no regrets)

Pappy Van Winkle 15 YO - I can't find this anywhere anymore anywayhow

Anyone else got comments on their bestest bourbon buy?
Last edited by Mike on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:13 pm

We definitely agree with your "budget" picks. Would add Weller 12 and Weller Antique to those.

Would also add the newer Eagle Rare 10 year SB, although we think (as we infer you do?) the older ER 101 is better.

For some reason, the Old Rip 10 year appeals to us more than the 15, but we think we're in the minority.

IM(Dave's)HO, Eagle Rare 17 yo (at least, based on 03 and 05) is the overall best bourbon buy available generally speaking. However, all of your high end choices are top notch, and we would never argue that you're "off" on any of them! :cheers:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:36 pm

On two recent trips to KY I searched for the ER 17 YO, but could never find it. I have tried the ER SB and did find it inferior to the old ER, but others seem to like it a lot. Maybe the barrel my bottle came from was not as good as some others?

I agree that for the money ($19) one could easily choose the Weller 12 YO..........a very good whiskey. And yes, the ORVW 10 YO at $24 is another good candidate.

And damn, I leff off my old buddy A H Hirsch 16 YO for about $70. It can still be had. I can't believe I leff it out as I me and Barleycorn was just sipping on it last night when we starting our musings about the value of bourbon. I gotta go back and put that in.

And P.S.
Me and Barleycorn talked it over and decided we would change the 4 or 5 years of bourbon drinking to 8 or 9 years. Maybe that will get us more respect........sorta like me puttin a touch of white paint in my hair to make me look wiser..........OK, OK, that didn't work either!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:40 pm

Mike wrote:... Maybe that will get us more respect........sorta like me puttin a touch of white paint in my hair to make me look wiser..........OK, OK, that didn't work either!

I had a friend who put paint into his hair to look wiser.
In his case it was brown paint because he was afraid he was beginning to look like me.
Came in a spray can.
As seen on Tee Vee.
It worked, too.
He looks a lot wiser now.
Wiser than to ever do a damn fool think like that again.
Me, I don't look wise, and I don't want to.
If I had one more white hair on top of my head that'd make... one.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Return to Bourbon, Straight