Louisville Liquor Stores & Daytime Bistros/bars

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Louisville Liquor Stores & Daytime Bistros/bars

Unread postby abcgroup » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:45 pm

I'm gonna be in Louisville this weekend for a family reunion. I'll have a good bit of time to run around during the day on Saturday so I'm wondering which liquor stores have the best selection of bourbons?

Also, are there any bars or bistros that I should check out that have a good selection of bourbons?

Please advise gents!

abcgroup....
abcgroup

Re: Louisville Liquor Stores & Daytime Bistros/bars

Unread postby ChuckMick » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:09 pm

abcgroup wrote:I'm gonna be in Louisville this weekend
I'm wondering which liquor stores have the best selection of bourbons?

Also, are there any bars or bistros that I should check out that have a good selection of bourbons?

Please advise gents!

abcgroup....

ABC

We have a few very large liquor stores in the area. Be sure to stop in to the Evergreen Liquors on Shelbyville Rd. Bill Bowling (Owner) has a superb selection and he also has a Buffalo Trace single barrel bottled for his store that is out of this world. Any of the Liquor Barns have a good selection. The Springhurst and Hurstbourne stores are a great place to find just about anything.

As far as bistros with a good bourbon selection you have to go to the Bourbon's Bistro on Frankfort Ave. John and Jason are the owners and they have over 130 different bourbons you can order (generous pours also) plus the food is top notch. Call ahead for reservations (502) 894-8838. There is also a place downtown, on 4th street, called Makers Mark (I think) I've never been there so I'm note sure of their bourbon selection.

ChuckMick
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:08 pm

For liquor stores, I also recommend Old Town Liquors on Bardstown Road in the Highlands. Cool neighborhood too. Check out Ear Ecstasy, a nearby music store. For lunch, I recommend the Bristol Bar & Grille, also on Bardstown Road. Try the artichoke fritters. The bar has a good bourbon selection. I had my first taste of Booker's there, about 20 years ago.

I'll confess to a certain amount of nostalgia and personal prejudice, as the Bristol was at the center of my social life for much of my time in Louisville.

The place on Fourth Street is, indeed, the Maker's Mark bar and is designed to promote Maker's Mark Bourbon, but they have a good selection of other brands, and it's a nice place. Near there is the Seelbach Hotel, which has a very classic and comfortable bar.

Actually, if you walk into any bar in Louisville and they don't have a good bourbon selection, just leave and go to the next one. Just about every bar in Louisville has a better bourbon selection than just about any bar anyplace else.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby abcgroup » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Rittenhouse Rye...who's got it in Louisville (stores that is). Neither Evergreen or Old Town has it in stock.

Evergreen bosts having "every bottle out there," with the exception of the beloved Rittenhouse.

Any other exclusive to KY, or highly allocated bourbons, worth getting while in town?

Only a few good places in Atlanta. Keep'em coming gents.

cheers,

abcgroup
abcgroup

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:10 pm

Four Roses Single Barrel is only available in Kentucky and is a must-have.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:41 am

cowdery wrote:Four Roses Single Barrel is only available in Kentucky and is a must-have.

2nd that one!

Also, Ancient Ancient Age is a GREAT value if you can't get it where you are.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Return to Bourbon, Straight