Just Curious.......

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Just Curious.......

Unread postby Geekboy » Tue May 30, 2006 9:48 pm

I was wondering how many pours you have a night?

I average about three to four old fashioneds a night. I use a 1.5 ounce shot glass to measure.

Granted, sometimes on the weekend while cooking and eating all day I can average about 6 to 8 old fashioneds on Saturday.

I know about the health benefits of a few cocktails everyday and I'm a huge believer in that and thank goodness. It sure makes life more pleasant.

Just curious what the norm is around here. Maybe there is another thread on this somewhere.
Geekboy

Unread postby Mark » Tue May 30, 2006 10:06 pm

I wouldn't say I have one every night but on average I probably have 2-3 a night and if I don't drink bourbon I'll have 3-4 beers...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed May 31, 2006 9:26 am

I do not drink bourbon every night. I drink plenty on Wednesdays when we have our weekly whiskey tastings. I also consume some on weekends if friends drop by.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby OscarV » Wed May 31, 2006 5:05 pm

If I get off work early I will have at least 3.
But when working late no alcohol at all.
On weekends, like on a Saturday if I am all done with errands and stuff, and it is early I will drink a little more than a half bottle. The first few neat and then on to the Bourbon Mists.

Oscar
OscarV

Unread postby bunghole » Wed May 31, 2006 7:33 pm

ima always moderate in my drinking, and almost never drink more than one bottle per day.
bunghole

Unread postby Geekboy » Wed May 31, 2006 8:05 pm

Bunghole, how is your liver holding up?

One of my worst incidents was during the 2004 Sugar Bowl game between LSU and Oklahoma for the BCS national title.

I'm an LSU fan. I drank an entire fifth of vodka with orange juice during the game which was about three hours! I was lucky I didn't die.

Believe it or not I didn't blackout. I remember the end of the game (we won) and what I said to people before going up to bed.

I can't even describe how I felt the next day.
Geekboy

Unread postby bunghole » Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm

ima doing just fine!

Winston Churchill drank a quart of whisky every day and smoked a box or more of Havana Romeo Y Julietta double coronas now forever known as "Churchills". As I recall he lived a long and full life.
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:06 pm

More good times!

Mark Twain was never a stranger to straight bourbon whiskey, and he smoked Havana cigars by the boxfull - day after day!

"If there are no cigars in Heaven - I shall not go!" - Mark Twain
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:11 pm

Ted Kennedy must be America's Most Infamous Drinker of all time.

Teddy was carrying a case of scotch when he tripped and fell down, but he didn't spill a drop!

He kept his mouth shut! :roll: :lol:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:22 pm

U.S. Grant ought to be mentioned, but not by ima! :evil:
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:44 pm

I grew up with LBJ during the Viet Nam War. U.S. involvement started when I was 9 and kept going until I was 21. I never saw a 'non-war' last so long or kill so many of my friends. I served my country during the Viet Nam Conflict in what was then called "West Germany" and fought the 'Cold War'.

LBJ fought both cold and hot wars at the very same time. It's no wonder he drank so much straight bourbon whiskey!

ima prayed to GOD every damn morning and drank 90 proof Jim Beam bourbon every damn night!

AND ima still loves Beam Bourbon to this very day. That's the flavor ima knows and loves. That's the bourbon that helped keep America and the rest of the free world free.

:flag:

GOD BLESS JIM BEAM!
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:57 pm

AMEN brother.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Geekboy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:39 pm

bunghole wrote:More good times!

Mark Twain was never a stranger to straight bourbon whiskey, and he smoked Havana cigars by the boxfull - day after day!

"If there are no cigars in Heaven - I shall not go!" - Mark Twain

I'm asking because I'm ignorant of the situation. How can one drink a quart of whiskey a day and live a long life? BELIEVE ME, if I thought I could I'd do it in a minute that's how much I love it.

But is the liver deal sort of like smoking and lung cancer? Some people can smoke their entire lives and smoke many packs a day and never get lung cancer while others barely smoked at all and get lung cancer.

Is it the same thing with cirrhosis of the liver?
Geekboy

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:53 pm

The Queen Mum supposedly drank a quart of gin a day, a fact the Royal Family neither denied nor tried to suppress.

The key, I think, is "a day." Literally, some people drink all day and by the end of it, a quart of spirits has been consumed. This is a bit different from sitting down and going through one in a couple of hours. Eating and drinking other, non-alcoholic beverages over the course of said day also makes a difference.

I had a friend in Louisville who bought a pint of Old Grand-Dad BIB every day at noon, at the same little grocery store close to his sculpture studio where he would buy a sandwich for lunch. It would be gone before he went home for dinner. If he had company, he shared. If not, it still would be empty by evening. His wife didn't drink and they kept no alcohol in the house.

I'm not suggesting consuming that much ethanol is harmless or recommended but it apparently is something to which the body can grow used.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:05 pm

cowdery wrote:I'm not suggesting consuming that much ethanol is harmless or recommended but it apparently is something to which the body can grow used.

I think I would add to the above that consuming large daily quantities of spirits is something to which 'some' bodies can grow used without apparent harm.

I believe that a person's ability to 'safely' absorb ethanol is individual, like their tastes. I suspect that Mark Twain, Winston Churchill, and the Queen Mum are exceptional in this regard. Why that might be, I don't know.

Twain and Churchill certainly led very active lives right up until they died (Twain at 74, Churchill at 90 years of age). As to the Queen Mum (died at 101), I know nothing about her except that she lived a very long life and undoubtedly had far better than average medical care.

I probably consume about 5 or 6 ounces a week, and that is probably too much for me, given a couple of medical conditions (gout and acid reflux) I live with which are known to be antagonized by alcohol.

Churchill also suffered from gout, but from what I have read, he seems to have believed that Port, not whisky, was particularly bad for gout. He reportedly called Port the sister of gout. I love Port, but remembering his caution about it, I drink it rarely and only in small quantities. A damn shame, I say!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight