Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame

Unread postby brendaj » Fri May 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Well Folks, I don't want to steal Mike Veach's thunder but, I haven't found mention of this in any of the threads, and it is so very cool. We spoke yesterday, and he's either too busy or too shy to post this. Since silence is not one of my virtures, here goes... :lol:

The Kentucky Distillers' Association has inducted Mike Veach into the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame to recognize his contributions to the stature, growth and public awareness of Kentucky Bourbon.

This September he'll receive an engraved miniature copper still, and his name will be added to the permanent Hall of Fame display at the Getz.

Mike will joining the likes of Jimmy Russell, Parker Beam, Booker Noe, Elmer T. Lee, etc....you get the idea.

I believe they made an excellent choice.
CONGRATULATIONS MIKE!!
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Mark » Fri May 12, 2006 2:48 pm

:wow:

Thanks for posting this Brenda! I too found out about this last night but didn't post about it for the same reasons... But hey, you put it into much better words than I could have anyways.

So Mike, a great big CONGRATULATIONS is in order. Tonight I will toast your achievment with a double pour of some Wild Turkey 12yo I still have open. I'm sure GA Mike is drooling by now! lol

Brenda, if you can, please pop off some pics of professor Mike :lecture: this September while at BT.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Fri May 12, 2006 3:00 pm

This is indeed a great piece of news, Congratulations Mr Veach!!

Thanks, Brendaj for not keeping this to yourself. Mr Veach is a modest man and might never have let on. Don't it just crank yo tractor when somebody you know and respect gets a deserved honor?

Mark, I will be ajoining you in that WT12 tribute (yeah, I know, but I couldn't pass it up), to our friend.

Let's all raise our glasses and salute him on this wonderful honor!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Fri May 12, 2006 5:10 pm

My congrats to Mike V as well. A well deserved honor! :cheers:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby brendaj » Fri May 12, 2006 5:30 pm

Mark,
Brenda, if you can, please pop off some pics of professor Mike this September while at BT.

You can absolutely count on it!!
And the WT12 toast sounded like such a grand idea, I'm raising a glass myself... Here's to you Mike!
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby daisy3d » Fri May 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Congrats Mike!!!!!!!

Phil & Jen DeFant
Brooklyn, MI
Phil D.
Brooklyn, MI
daisy3d

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri May 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Thanks, everybody. I did send out a few emails and PM's yesterday, but did not have time to tell everybody I wished to. I spent today at a KCA (Kentucky Council on Archives) meeting in Lexington and I have just got home. I am sure I will get a chance to celebrate with many of you after the ceremony on September 15th. Others I hope will be at the Bourbon Society meeting on Monday at the Bourbon's Bistro. I will have to find an appropriate bottle for the occasion on Monday.

It is a great honor to be part of this Hall of Fame, but I do wonder. I personally would have put in a few more true Hall of Famer's like E H Taylor, Jr., William LaRue Weller, James E Pepper, John G Carlisle... the list goes on and on, before hitting the scrubs like myself. Even so, it is nice to know that there is an appreciation for the history of this great industry.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Art L » Fri May 12, 2006 6:46 pm

This is great news!
We have all learned so much from Mike and the enormous amount of work that he's done for this forum.
It's an absolutely appropriate honor to be bestowed upon such a very deserving individual.
Congratulations Mike!

P.S.: since I don't have any WT-12 I hope that Tribute will make an acceptable toast. :)
Art L

Unread postby Chris » Fri May 12, 2006 6:58 pm

:yay: :clapthumbsup:

Congratulations, Mike!
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Strayed » Sat May 13, 2006 1:03 am

Michael Veach, KDAHoF
Let me again reiterate: Just about everything we know about Kentucky bourbon we've either learned from Mike Veach, or from someone who was quoting Mike Veach. How important to the heritage of American bourbon whiskey is that?
At the very least, you should get a reserved parking space at Bourbons Bistro.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Bourbon Hall of Fame

Unread postby ChuckMick » Sat May 13, 2006 9:02 am

Mike V
BW and BHoF

How many more initials can we put after your name? I 'm sure we could come up with others. :lol:

Congrats Mike it is well deserved.

I would like to see the still somtime

ChuckMick
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby gillmang » Sat May 13, 2006 9:22 am

Mike is richly deserving of the award and kudos to him for this achievement. There are so many things I learned from Mike about whiskey and its history I've stopped counting. Wishing you many more fruitful years of whiskey investigation and research, Mike, and keep those historical notes coming, they add greatly to our knowledge.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bunghole » Sat May 13, 2006 11:02 am

:clapthumbsup: HUZZAH PROFESSOR VEACH! :clapthumbsup:

This honor is well deserved by a man that has worked tirelessly to promote bourbon as America's spirit. He has given freely of his exhaustive research on the history of bourbon as evidenced here at Bourbon Enthusiast in his accurate distillery timelines. The list of his selfless community involvement is a long one. He volunterred his time and expertise to properly archive documents at the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History and started the Oscar Getz Memorial Fund for Acquisitions just to name a few. Mike Veach is among the very finest of Kentucky Gentlemen and a man I am proud to call my friend.

:urock: :cup: :cheers: :bananarock: :rockettes: :band: :1st: :beer: :smilecigar: :yay:
Attachments
Tasting Room WEB.jpg
Strayed; bourbonv, Brendaj, & bunghole
Tasting Room WEB.jpg (204.62 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
BourbonEnthusiatsWEB.jpg
bunghole; Strayed, Stoopsie, & bourbonv
BourbonEnthusiatsWEB.jpg (162.96 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat May 13, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks again everybody. Mike has helped me decide what to take with me Monday to the Bourbon Society meeting at the Bistro to help me celebrste - a bottle of Wild Turkey 12yo, the older version I picked up in Maryland with Chris Sigmon. I am sure we will toast all of those people who could not be here for the celebrastion. I hope those living nearby will be there.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby fricky » Sun May 14, 2006 6:28 am

Congratulations Mike. It is a well deserved honor.
Doug
fricky

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight