Woodford Reserve on National TV

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Woodford Reserve on National TV

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 09, 2006 11:45 am

How many of you saw Chris Morris serve the $1,000.00 mint julep on national television on Saturday. Bourbon has come a long way. 20 years ago NBC would never had showed a host sipping a julep, let alone with the bottle of bourbon sitting in plain view before him. I guess since many stations are buying spirits advertising, they allowed this to happen this year.

The thousand dollar mint julep is the subject of an article in the business section of the Courier-Journal this morning. Brown-Forman and YUM Brands are major sponsors of the Derby now and you do see their advertisments all over the track. There was even a spoof of the thousand dollar mint julep on Saturday Night Live.

Times are changing!

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Tue May 09, 2006 12:52 pm

Yep, we saw that all the way up here in Mass. We weren't really watching the show closely, but my buddy Art caught Chris Morris out of the corner of his eye and yells "What the ...".

Three comments:

1) Very cool to see that kind of thing on TV.

2) The host choked on the drink like a little girl. Actually even that is not accurate as even my young daughter would not have coughed that dramatically.

3) Seeing YUM brands large presence partially answered the question of why are the roads in KY lined with fast food and hardly a non-chain restaurant in sight. I want some local home cookin' darn it!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 09, 2006 1:28 pm

Mike,
My first thought when he choked on the drink was "What a Whoosie! It's a mint Julep for God's Sake and the ice is bound to have watered it down under the TV lighting!" I told Chris that he was the more professional of the two on camera.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Strayed » Tue May 09, 2006 2:49 pm

What's the matter with y'all? Don'tcha have no Culture?

Everyone knows expensive liquor has more "kick" to it than that sissy cheap stuff.
    Real top-rate s#!^ will set yore nose hairs on fahr an' lay yore butt right out, unless yer man enough to take it.
    The technical term for this quality is "smooooth".

Costas faked it. He had to. It would have been an insult to Chris if Bob had just tossed that back (like yer suppose' ta do, y'know) and said, "Yup, mighty good, but it could use a little more bite".

Besides, it's important that the "family" contingent clearly understands that Bob isn't familiar with such sinful things such as alcoholic beverages, depite having to give air time to one of the chief sponsors of the event.
You notice you don't see any horse poop either. Strange thoroughbreds, these Derby plugs.
You know what I think they do with the horse droppings?
I think they make them into women's hats.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm

John,
A word of advice - don't make fun of Derby hats in front of the women down here. They can get quite testy about such things and it does make life difficult.

I agree with what you are saying about the faked reaction, but it is still a pitiful example of prohibition thinking. It would have been better if he had said something along the lines of what a great drink for a great cause.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Strayed » Tue May 09, 2006 5:10 pm

All in jest, Mike.
Actually, I love the hats.
And there are NO women more beautiful than those grown in Kentucky (except for three Pennsylvania examples I'm familiar with)
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby BSS » Tue May 09, 2006 5:25 pm

When watching that, he made it look like he was completely acting. I thought he was trying to be funny, but it just didn't turn out as funny as he would have like it. His cup didn't even have anything in it, you could tell by the way he tipped it up to take a drink.
BSS

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 09, 2006 7:47 pm

BSS wrote:When watching that, he made it look like he was completely acting. I thought he was trying to be funny, but it just didn't turn out as funny as he would have like it. His cup didn't even have anything in it, you could tell by the way he tipped it up to take a drink.

Shit! I reckon me and you and the rest of us ain't much in a snit about any of this stuff! I like bourbon, and I like y'all..........the rest of 'em can go to............well you know where!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed May 10, 2006 10:52 am

John,
Of course all in jest. It is just that some women don't have the same sense of humor about their hats...

I thought Costas was pretty pathetic in his act and I do wish it had been a more mature reaction. That would do more than anything to promote responsible drinking as well as the bourbon. He looked more the bufoon than the civilized gentleman he should have portrayed. I have to wonder what kind of act he would have put on if it had been a $1,000.00 beer!

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight