I envy you people

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

I envy you people

Unread postby Geekboy » Thu May 04, 2006 10:10 pm

As a lover of Old Fashioneds I am making them with less sugar and fruit and bitters to get to where I can taste the whiskey more and more.

Tonight I sampled neat and not on the rocks several brands. Weller Special Reserve, Dickel #8, Old Charter 10 year, Elmer T. Lee and Old Overholt.

The reason I envy you people is because after tasting these straight I can't taste any of the wonderful things you people describe. I wish I had the taste sensitivity you have. One may taste a little 'sweeter' than another but I can't find the caramel, fruit, cinammon, oak, etc. that you can sort out. I wish I had that ability.

I start with the bourbon at the front of my tongue and then slowly swallow but I can't discern the seperate tastes. Maybe one day I'll get there.

Is there a primer on how to correctly taste whiskey?

Thanks in advance.
Geekboy

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri May 05, 2006 9:22 am

Experience is the best teacher. Simply get you a very good nosing glass - a white wine glass works if you have nothing else, and take your time on the nosing of the whiskey. After a while you will be able to seperate some of the basic aromas such as caramel, vanilla, wood and some of the spices. The tasting is the same process but after a few drinks your taste buds will weaken due to the alcohol, but you will slowly learn to pick out the tastes you find in the product. Simply practice tasting and don't rush things. Enjoy the experience and remember patience is a virtue.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 09, 2006 9:16 pm

Well, ole buddy, I wish I could help you, but I am not sure I can. I can tell you that I like very flavorful things. I like spicy things, but not really hot spices. I prefer things that 'challenge' my taste buds. That is not a value statement, but a personal statement.

My wife does not like strong flavors..........she doesn't care for beer or bourbon or scotch or cognac, but she likes a screwdriver or a madras or some other semi-sweet drink.

She wouldn't understand what you mean by 'envying us bourbon drinkers' and you shouldn't either. Whether one likes bourbon straight or mixed or not at all has zero to do with anything other than one's taste. Now those tastes can and will change over time...........just how much is open to question. Mike Veach's suggestions above are right on the mark for making your taste universe larger.

Drinkng bourbon is a great pleasure for me, and I take pleasure in other people's asessment of the bourbons I find especially good, but you have no need to take pleasure in the same things. If you happen to like bourbon mixed with something, so what? Learn your own tastes, cultivate them, and enjoy them.

The best advice I ever heard came from an old man who said, 'Be what you is!'
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Geekboy » Wed May 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks Mike and Mike. Good info!
Geekboy

Return to Bourbon, Straight