Most underrated bourbon?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Most underrated bourbon?

Unread postby BourbonSteve » Tue May 02, 2006 1:11 pm

One of the earlier threads got me thinking..............what's the most underrated, under appreciated bourbons out there today?
For my money it's JB Black. I have yet to try Old Grandad but here it's in the same league.
Your opinion?
"Let lovers whine of the pleasures of wine but give me a bourbon and cup. Not any will do you see it's true, I like it from ole Kentuck."
BourbonSteve

Unread postby bunghole » Tue May 02, 2006 8:31 pm

Steve here are a couple of bourbons that I think are under-rated: 1) Old Forester 86 proof, and 2) Evan Williams 86 proof black label.

Old Forester was never a very popular bourbon, but I have always liked it. These days I feel that it has become over-priced and although I do like it for a change of pace from time to time I find myself buying less and less of it.

I think Evan Williams is a good solid bourbon that sells very well (#2 behind Jim Beam) and is either ignored or loudly pooh-poohed. I picked up a 375ml to drop by a friends house for a nip. I hadn't had any in many years, and I was surprised by how good it was.

As for Old Grand Dad, the last bottle I bought was so tannic that I haven't bought another since.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed May 03, 2006 10:07 am

Unfortunately the distillers seem to be on to us here. They are either discontinuing or raising the price on most of the real bargain bourbons. I agree with Linn on the Old Forester 86 but I do prefer the 100 proof for a few bucks more. The Evan Williams Black label is quite good for the price. I would also recommend Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old if you can find it. I also had some Old Bardstown 90 proof the other day and found it to be quite good and reasonably priced. Very Old Barton 90 proof is also quite good and a bargin. For a real cheap drink that is quite good, I also like the Mellow Corn Bottled in Bond corn whiskey - under $10 and very nice.
Old Carter 10 and 12 year olds are also quite good and underated.
Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed May 03, 2006 5:08 pm

Even though it is not cheap at about $28, I find Sam Houston bourbon to be underrated. It has a slightly different taste from that of other bourbons and I like it for a nice change.

Two distilleries that I find underrated are (1) McLain and Kyne with their Jefferson's Reserve (thanks, JoeBourbon, for putting me on to this terrific bourbon with one of your tastings - old Joe won't steer you wrong on bourbon) and their Sam Houston, and (2) Kentucky Bourbon Distillers with their Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, and Kentucky XO.........all excellent bourbons in this man's opinion.

One bourbon that ain't underrated is Wild Turkey Tribute! I opened my last bottle today. I have never hoarded anything in my whole life...........'til today. I WILL hoard this last bottle of Tribute. There is only one of my friends that knows about this bottle and I will give him the occasional sip, but that is it. I am old enough to be selfish sometimes and this is one of 'em!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby BourbonSteve » Thu May 04, 2006 5:09 pm

I'm with ya Mike, I tend to like the stuff coming out of KBD. It's very good.
"Let lovers whine of the pleasures of wine but give me a bourbon and cup. Not any will do you see it's true, I like it from ole Kentuck."
BourbonSteve

W.L. Weller

Unread postby Keith » Thu May 11, 2006 4:26 pm

I don't know if it counts as "underrated," because it always gets great reviews, but the W.L. Weller 12 year is an outstanding value at $16.99. Unfortunately, its packaging makes it look like a bottom-shelf no-name brand. So, yuppie liquor snobs are unlikely to display it proudly on their bars.

That may change soon.

Yesterday, I visited the Buffalo Trace distillery and had the privilege of seeing the new bottle design for the Weller 12-year. While it's not being groomed into an "ultra-premium" brand, the new duds definitely make it look less generic.

And I, too, really like the Kentucky Bourbon Distillers products. Kentucky Vintage is a great bourbon for around $21, and the cask-strength Noah's Mill is very good but pricey at $45.

However, the fellow I was talking to at Buffalo Trace said there isn't a "Kentucky Bourbon Distillers" distillery, and that the origins of their products are somewhat of a mystery... Yet their Web site says they are a family-owned distilling company. Anyone here have the inside scoop?
Keith<p>
Central Kentucky
Keith

Return to Bourbon, Straight