Sweetest Bourbons?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Sweetest Bourbons?

Unread postby Geekboy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:34 pm

I used to be a dirty vodka martini man.

I'm now completely involved in the world of bourbon turning my back on vodka.

However, I'm a wuss. I LOVE Old Fashioneds. It's my favorite cocktail of all time.

For quite awhile now I was drinking Kessler's which I found to be very smooth in my Old Fashioneds.

Now I'm experimenting with many others and love many more than Kesslers. Old Overholt Rye too.

I would like to get to the point where I can drink bourbon straight.
I'd like to start with the sweetest tasting bourbons. What do you folks
recommend?
Geekboy

Re: Sweetest Bourbons?

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:12 pm

Geekboy wrote:I'd like to start with the sweetest tasting bourbons. What do you folks recommend?

Try some Forty Creek Barrel Select. It is a Canadian whiskey, not technically a Bourbon, but very similar. It is very smooth and sweet. And it only costs $20-$25.

Mike
Last edited by MikeK on Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Sweetest Bourbon

Unread postby The Duke » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:12 am

I find Wild Turkey pretty sweet. I've been trying the new Walthen's and while not very sweet it has grown on me.
Whiskey slows you down
Whiskey clouds your thinkin
But as long as they keep makin whiskey
I'll keep on whiskey drinkin
The Duke

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:32 am

In my opinion, the wheated bourbons tend to be a bit more sweet than the traditional bourbons. Try Weller products or Old Fitzgerald products. If they satisfy your sweet tooth then step up to the Van Winkle products. From there you should be able to go to any bourbon and appreciate it neat. If you don't ever get to drinking it neat, that is fine as well. Old Fashions are a good cocktail. Simply start using more bourbon and less sugar and fruit.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:57 am

Geekboy;

Let's not talk about Kessler's. :roll: Just read the label carefully. :wink:

As for bourbon suggestions, just try the 'big three' - Jim Beam white label 80 proof; Evan Williams black label 86 proof, and from Tennesse good old Jack Daniel's black label. You can find them in any bar or liquor store and can be had in small 200ml or 375 ml bottles so you don't have to spend a lot to get a broad sampling.

Try this :arrow: before you mix your old fashioned - just pour your bourbon into the glass with a couple of rocks. Look at the color as you nose the aromas. Take some time with this as you should be able to pick up the sweetness of the chared oak and corn. Then take a small sip. Chase with water if you have to. Then mix your old fashioned as usual.

After a while you will either be drinking Booker's (126+ proof) straight from the bottle (not for wussies) or you will happy with a modestly priced 80 or 86 proof bourbon that suits your palate for your cocktail mixing needs.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:19 pm

Well, my opinion is that Maker's Mark is a good introductory sweet bourbon. You can get it in the 100 ml bottles so as to sample it on the cheap. It is 90 proof so not overpowering for someone not accustomed to the straight stuff.

But now, my real advice is that you should find yourself a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 YO, either in the regular version or the Single Barrel version (the older version is 101 proof so that may put you off). They are both in the $20 range and are first rate sweeter bourbons.

Let the Eagel Rare breath in the glass a bit before nosing, then don't put your nose in the glass too far. If you ain't used to it, all you will experience is the alcohol. Then sip slowly, don't take much at a time, and let it move smoothly to the middle and back of your mouth.

In my experience the sweetness will be picked up quickly at the front of the mouth. Look for a slight change in taste in the middle toward the creamy and spicy and away from the sweet. Then toward the back you will notice the spice and maybe some peppery alcohol burn (the real reason for sipping small amounts).

A good bourbon will leave your mouth with a combination of sweetness and spice in the mid-palate area and the tastes will linger a bit (these are my opinions, others will experience it differently)

Now, relax and prepare yourself for the next sip. If you found no enjoyment in that first little sip, go play checkers or something and make yourself an Old Fashioned............bourbon straight out of the bottle don't suit you. And, if it don't, so what?

For me, drinking bourbon is a wonderful experience, whether with friends or by my own self. It adds pleasure to my life. But my lovely wife and most other people ain't going to go near it. If you like it straight, as do many BE members, consider yourself among friends here. If you don't, still consider yourself among friends and tell us about the pleasures of Old Fashioneds...........I haven't had one in years.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby jburlowski » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:35 pm

Try Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel (if you can get it in your area). It tends towards th sweeter side and is an outstanding value for the money!
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby White Lightning » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Maker's is a good starter.

I think Mike might be on to something with perhaps starting out with wheat formula bourbon... generally sweet (not sure they are the sweetest on a whole) but to me, often, are more approachable and subtle.

Jack Daniels is a sweet one, though if wandering through Tennessee, I prefer Dickel No.12 to JD...

Just for the sake of clarity, and so as not to confuse the guy... Jack Daniels isn't technically "bourbon".
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:30 pm

I picked wheated bourbons not only because they are sweet, but also they don't have the spicey bite that a traditional bourbon usually has. This will make it easier to make a transition from blended whiskey to bourbon.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:25 pm

I (Dave) tend to think of Jim Beam Black as having a maple syrup character to it. The Old Charter 8 year might suit you, too; I feel it has a light candy-like character. Unfortunately, OC is not available in VA, but if you can find it where you are, it should be affordable, too.

Mike makes a great point about wheaters, too. I think in his review of MM Chuck noted "lemon candy" or something similar. After going back to the glass with Chuck's review in mind, I agreed.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby BourbonSteve » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:24 pm

I agree with Mike, the sweeter bourbons tend to use wheat in their mix such as Makers' Mark and Bernheim. JB black label is also a good choice as the syrupy influence is certainly present. Another choice could be Woodford Reserve. When I tested it against Knob Creek it seemed much sweeter. Also, I'm told Conecuh Ridge is very sweet. I went to try it but one reader said it wasn't that great and tasted like it had Mrs. Butterworths' in it! I couldn't tell you if that's true but wherever you go there you are.
"Let lovers whine of the pleasures of wine but give me a bourbon and cup. Not any will do you see it's true, I like it from ole Kentuck."
BourbonSteve

Unread postby rhapsody » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Would it be safe to say that Woodford Reserve, is perhaps the sweetest of all bourbons?

More so than Makers Mark, JD, etc?
rhapsody

Unread postby Smokewagon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:42 pm

rhapsody wrote:Would it be safe to say that Woodford Reserve, is perhaps the sweetest of all bourbons?

Holy thread Necro.

It would be pretty un-safe to say such a thing, since it is subjective. I personally find that Woodford has very little sweet to it. Almost any wheated bourbon I have tried beats it in the sweet flavor department.
Smokewagon

Unread postby gauze » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 pm

I find Evan WIlliams very sweet.
gauze

Unread postby rhapsody » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Smokewagon wrote:
rhapsody wrote:Would it be safe to say that Woodford Reserve, is perhaps the sweetest of all bourbons?

Holy thread Necro.

It would be pretty un-safe to say such a thing, since it is subjective. I personally find that Woodford has very little sweet to it. Almost any wheated bourbon I have tried beats it in the sweet flavor department.

Thank you for sharing.

I do agree that that wheat based Bourbons are sweeter. I'm just trying to find what could be the sweetest of the wheat bourbons.

Thanks!
rhapsody

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight