Good ole Woodford Reserve - again!

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Good ole Woodford Reserve - again!

Unread postby Mike » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:11 pm

I was off on an overnight jaunt recently with an old friend whose company I thoroughly enjoy. We were in a small town and had visited the sites we wanted to see and one that was a surprise. We happened upon a gigantic old Civil War cannon lathe that neither of us could identify without some assistance. Too soon it was time for lunch on our last day.

This friend is not much of a drinker but I been trying to get him introduced to the wonderful experience of drinking bourbon. He has said he is willing to give it a go.

We go to a nice restaurant and bar in the town's restored hotel to have lunch. We have a seafood lunch that is just passable and when we finish, I tell him it is time for a sip of bourbon.

The bar is not very well equiped having only the ubiquitous Jack Daniel, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, and................Woodford Reserve. Even though I have given WR slightly less than steller reviews on BE, I still think it is the class of that bunch, so I order us up a shot, no ice, no water.

Mmmmm, the WR smells very nice. I begin to tell my friend what I look for in a bourbon and that WR on that day has it in spades. I could not have wanted a better sample bourbon to introduce him to the various bourbon aromas, flavors, finish..........the whole experience.

I am glad for this because I wanted my friend to have a good first bourbon experience. And somehow, I have never been quite comfortable with my WR reviews. And I have seen so many nice things said on BE about this guy Chris Morris and how he works hard trying new things and how he knows his stuff.

Well, my friend may not be a bourbon convert yet, but he was open to the fact that the WR had its good points. If there had been a WR bottle available for sale, I bet I could have sold it to him!

Good ole Woodford Reserve!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:35 am

Mike,
Did you happen to ask to see the bottle? I was wondering what the batch Number was.

The last couple of times I had lunch with Chris Morris, I have had the Woodfors Reserve from the bar and I thought it was pretty good. Of course that could be because Chris was buying and free bourbon always taste better.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm

bourbonv wrote:Mike,
Did you happen to ask to see the bottle? I was wondering what the batch Number was.

Mike Veach

I did not see the bottle closely enough to see the batch number but did enjoy the bourbon! I will probably buy a new bottle shortly, what should I look for in terms of batches?

Brown Foreman is doing a good marketing job, because when I go in the odd (meaning not 'my') liquor store and browse the bourbons, if there is anyone offering assistance they will usually ask if I have tried Woodford Reserve.

Incidentally, 'my' liquor store was closed for 10 days by the GA spirit police, apparently for selling a $10 bottle of wine that he didn't get from an approved distributor.

Like in most places, I guess, the liquor laws are manipulated by those with money, power, or a misguided religious sentiment..........and they killed Kenny, the bastards.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby conecuhridge » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:11 pm

Mike,

Isn't Chris a great guy?

I have an ample stock of Woodford that I will never touch, but it is more tempting all of the time.

Hope all is well with you.

Wes Henderson

Mike wrote:
bourbonv wrote:Mike,

Mike Veach

I did not see the bottle closely enough to see the batch number but did enjoy the bourbon! I will probably buy a new bottle shortly, what should I look for in terms of batches?

Brown Foreman is doing a good marketing job, because when I go in the odd (meaning not 'my') liquor store and browse the bourbons, if there is anyone offering assistance they will usually ask if I have tried Woodford Reserve.

Incidentally, 'my' liquor store was closed for 10 days by the GA spirit police, apparently for selling a $10 bottle of wine that he didn't get from an approved distributor.

Like in most places, I guess, the liquor laws are manipulated by those with money, power, or a misguided religious sentiment..........and they killed Kenny, the bastards.
conecuhridge

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:22 am

Wes,
Chris is indeed a great guy and very knowledgable. I think Woodford Reserve, Old Forester and Early Times are in great hands for the future. But between you and me, I think he needs about another 20 years of experience to catch up to Lincoln! He has a great start and hopefully Lincoln will be around to advise him when needed for those 20 years.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight