Old Grandad at 100 proof?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Old Grandad at 100 proof?

Unread postby HondoJohn » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:58 pm

Got a question for you knowledgeable folks. While visiting friends in Phoenix, AZ last week I located a bottle of Old Grandad, 100 proof. The bottle was kinda hidden away on a back shelf and was dusty. To make a long story short.........to my uninitiated palate this was really good stuff!

What say y'all? Did I find something unusual? I don't remember ever seeing Old Grandad in 100 proof.

Ol' John :D
HondoJohn

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:48 pm

John,
Old Grandad 100 proof is very common and is released in large quantities even today. You may have gotten an older version which some people contend is better than the newer bottlings.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby scratchline » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:36 pm

Thanks to Mike Veach, I got a chance to sample the ND Old Grand Dad when I was in Louisville and thought it was wonderful. A caramelly nose and a very lively fruity taste. Great neat and mixes well even at 86 proof. Liked it so much that I've laid in several bottles including some old BIB. It's very common here in California and a great value.

If someone who is familiar with the Beam incarnation (which I understand is also very good) could do a side-by-side with the older bottling, I'd be very interested.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Return to Bourbon, Straight