What to do???

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What to do???

Unread postby Joeluka » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:24 pm

I have been buying every bottle of Bourbon and Rye I could find the last 9 months. Everytime I go hunting for spirits I pick up any new bottle I don't have. Thses bottles are then put in my bar and they are opened over time. I have opened over 65 differents bourbon and rye bottles since this obsession started. I still have another 70+ bottles to open and try. Here's my "problem", what do I do with the bottles that dont deserve anymore of my time.. I give every bottle two tries on different occasions to make sure nothing is missed and to see if I want a third try.
There are plenty of open bottles that I dont plan on revisiting again. I have favorites and those I revisit pretty often. But these opened "losers" just dont do it for me. I find that I'm staying away from opening new bottles because I dont want to keep collecting open bottles of unenjoyable whiskey. I have finished and replaced my favorites pletty of times but I wont force myself to drink something I dont like.
I dont know if this makes sense to anyone but i was just looking for some feedback from everyone. I know plenty of people here must have a ton of opened bottles that just dont do it for you. Do you force it down or just keep in the collection and offer it to your in-laws.
Let me know what your thoughts are...
Joeluka

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:27 pm

Joe,
Take 'em down to the Bowery and hand 'em out to the winos. You'll make their day.
Joe :roll:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Chris » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:37 pm

Keep those bottles aside for people who come over and ask for "the best bourbon you have" and want to mix it with coke... :shock:
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: What to do???

Unread postby ChuckMick » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:45 pm

Joeluka wrote:Do you force it down or just keep in the collection and offer it to your in-laws.
Let me know what your thoughts are...

Joe,

I understand that you really do not want to drink the stuff you are not really fond of but have you tried using those to cook or marinate food with? That may be one use for them. Do you have friends that enjoy bourbon/rye whisk(e)y that may like the brands you don't; you could invite them over to help finish them off. Come to the July sampler in Bardstown and bring those partially empty bottles someone will drink it I am sure. What are the ones that you are having trouble finishing? What are the drinks you go back to? I am just curious.

Although there are some bourbons I will not buy again I had no trouble finishing the bottle. It must be a throwback to childhood when I was told to finish eating everything on my plate.

:laughing9:
Good luck

Chuck
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:09 pm

Joe,

I had the same problem with a bottle of Jack that just kept hanging around. I found 2 uses...marinating maraschino cherries and the other was for soaking wood chips for bbq's. Both were better options to me than having that bottle take up valuable space.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Blue » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:20 pm

I'll second the whole cooking alternative. A half cup of even bad bourbon makes a nice addition to a pot of Chili or any tomato based sauce. I've also used it successfully in reductions and glazes.

Might have to try it in the smoker this summer.
Blue
Epi-curious

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:38 am

Simple solution for me: my duds end up drowning in ginger ale.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby Strayed » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:07 am

:band:
In the summertime when the weather is hot,
You can stretch right up and touch the sky,
When the weather's fine...

well, you know the rest.

Not sure how is is with y'all, but unfortunately (or maybe not) most of OUR friends' idea of a fine alcohol beverage is something they call, "smooth".
By which they mean they can't taste any of the evil, demon alcohol in it and they can pretend they were just enjoying a healthy fruit drink and didn't know they'd get snockered. ** 8-)

Tropical fruit punches!
Long tall drinks with skewered melon slices and paper umbrellas sticking out!
Mudslides!
Sex-At-The-Beach!
Strip-and-Go-Naked!

Who needs to waste good rum or even vodka on these??!!!
:yay: :yay: :yay: :bananarock: :noisemaker: :bananarock: :yay: :yay: :yay:

** "But Honey, I shwear I only had two beers anna coupla glasseses o' tha punch stuff! Honest!"
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby artfag » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:33 pm

You could just send the rejects to me. I'd be happy to take care of them for you.
carpe diem.
artfag

Unread postby Gayle Hack » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:54 pm

SEND IT TO ME![/b]
Gayle Hack

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:15 am

I too operate a fully bonded and certified bourbon disposal service that is ready to meet your needs.

Another suggestion is Gillmanization.

Another is wait six months and try again. You might be surprised.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Joeluka » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:11 pm

cowdery wrote:
Another suggestion is Gillmanization.

Well, This is the route I decided to take. I've been putting together different vattings over the last 2 months. To be Honest with everyone, I LOVE DOING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enjoy trying to find the best combos and I also love just pouring a bunch together and seeing what happens. This surprise vatting has surprised me a couple of times and the vatting that involved time and thought also surprised me.
I dont remember where I read it but I wanted to make my own 4 grain manhattan, this quest lead me to my vatting passion in return. I now have several "4-grain" manhattan reciepes that just knock the socks off of any whiskey drinker who likes whiskey cocktails. I usally mix a rye, ryed-bourbon, and wheated bourbon to get the base whiskey for my manhattan. Man I really went off on a tangent here. The point is I have found a use for my "loser" bourbons by Gillmanizing them. I now have three different bottles of " JOEMOMMAS VATTED WHISKEY", and when I pour them for people, I am always asked "who makes this?"{

Thanks for the idea Gary and Chuck, and if anyones interested I will post my favorite "4-grain Manhattan" reciepes.
Joeluka

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:23 pm

I really think it only fair to Gary that you post your recipes. I know many of would like to see what you have done and have a chance to duplicate your success stories, but for Gary, it is a passion. To withhold these would fall somewhere under "cruel and unusual punsihment" and thus against the U.S. Constitution. In my opinion, though I am no lawyer, It is your civic duty to post these recipes. Please procede.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:21 pm

I love the coinage of a new word, especially one that describes an important concept that has previously not been legitimized as it should be. Such a term is "Gilmanization" (and its associated infinitive declinations, i.e., "to Gilmanize", etc.). I, for one, readily accept this addition to the English language (native to Canada and one of the United State's currently-approved languages). Am I correct in my definition of "Gilmanization" as, "the intentional mixing of commercially independent whiskeys (or other spirits) in such a manner as to produce a product with characteristics more pleasing than those of any or all of the component ingredients"?
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:24 am

EllenJ wrote: Am I correct in my definition of "Gilmanization" as, "the intentional mixing of commercially independent whiskeys (or other spirits) in such a manner as to produce a product with characteristics more pleasing than those of any or all of the component ingredients"?

I'd be a bit more specific, but I think yu're on to something. i'd insert "mixing of specific percentages an array of particular products with the end result being more pleasing than any of the individual or any other of the myriad of combinations that might result. I'd call it "Gary Gilliam's Spirit"
Bob
Brewer

Return to Bourbon, Straight