old potrero, anchor

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

old potrero, anchor

Unread postby xforce » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:34 pm

anyone know the availability of anchor's old potrero? is it possible to find it in east PA, Philly area? i'm a big fan of their beers, and i'd love to try the bourbon.

side note. is bourbon a product like champagne, where it has to come from a particular region to be called by that name? or is it strictly a style issue.
xforce

Unread postby dale3mike » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:24 am

Hi, xforce, and welcome to the board.

To be labeled as Bourbon the whiskey must:

Contain natural grains of which at least 51% must be corn

Be distilled at less than 160 proof, or 80% alcohol

Be aged in charred, new oak barrels

Be aged at least 2 years to become a “straight” Bourbon whiskey

The spirit must go into the barrel at no more than 125 proof

Nothing can be done to alter the flavor or color in any way, from the time it is distilled through bottling. Only water can be added to adjust to barrel and bottling strengths

Straight from the Four Roses Distillery web site.

Mike
dale3mike

Unread postby Mark » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:44 am

I honestly don't know for sure... Does PA have any regular liquor stores or are they all those state ran places? I was going to post that around Philly I'm sure there would be a place but if they are state run I just don't know.

I've yet to try the straight rye whiskey... I did try the single malt whiskey version and it totally reminded me of a scotch taste. They have 'evolved' over the years though. Now I have seen them at lower proofs like 90 whereas as when I first saw them they were fairly high running around 124-125 proof. I have to give Anchor credit for giving products such as this a go though.

There is one more 'bourbon' made out in California by Charbay. It's called Charbay One but sells for somewhere in the mid $300 range I think.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:34 am

Mark,
All the stores in Pennsylvania are State controlled. Such a pity.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby fricky » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:34 am

xforce,
I am also a fan of Anchor Steam Beer. In my opoinion, they should stick to brewing beer. I have a bottle of Old Potrero 18Th Century Style Spirit at 125.1 proof. It is the worst-tasting distilled spirit that I ever sampled. I included it in a rye tasting with 2 other rye whiskies. Based on blind tasting, the 5 people at the tasting placed it dead last by a wide margin. The other 2 rye whiskies were Sazerac (18 yr) and Michter's SB. All had negative comments concerning the unpleasant taste of the Old Potrero.

If you want to try a very good rye whiskey, I suggest Wild Turkey. Unfortunately, that is also unavailable in Pennsylvania. However, if you leave in the Eastern part of PA you may not have far to drive to get it in New Jersey, New York, or Delaware. I forgot to mention that the bottle of Old Potrero was somewhat expensive - about $60.

If you live in the South-Eastern part of PA, you are welcome to come here and sample the Old Potrero and Wild Turkey.
Doug
fricky

Unread postby Mark » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:33 am

I very much doubt that you can also find The Classic Cask 21 or 22 year old ryes in PA but if you do even out of state they are worth a try. They are around $55-65 but for their age I think its a worthwhile buy, especially how impressed Bob and I were with them. And that was putting them up against Sazerac 18 and Van Winkle 13...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby MikeK » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:54 pm

There are a variety of Old Potrero bottlings out there. I have seen them priced from $60 - $95. Ouch! The "essay" number on the neck apparently tells you when the batch was made. Jim Murrays book gives notes on bottlings over a several year period. I generally see the earlier bottlings, but never the more recent ones. Murray (for what it is worth) likes the newer ones a lot better, but I have never come across one to try.

I had one of the earliest bottlings and found it completely enjoyable, but nothing remarkable. I then tried a slightly more recent bottle and found it to have an overpowering cinnamon flavor. Think Goldschlager liquor. I recently had the 18th century style at a tasting and it had the same big cinnamon flavor.

I AM very happy that Anchor is making the effort, and I want to encourage them, but I personally didn't like the bottles I've had. I wish I could try one of the more recent bottlings because I just don't get the hype so far.

For inexpensive rye, try Wild Turkey or the new Sazerac ~7yo. For older and more expensive rye I like the 18yo Sazerac and the 15yo or 18yo Black Maple Hills.

MikeK
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 am

My experiences with Old Potero unfortunately have all been negative. I just didn't like the versions that I tried at WhiskyFest. As Mark noted, the Classic Cask is fantastic, but I'd also add Rittenhouse...it is a very good rye, at a very good price.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:14 pm

Well, I've said it afore, and Imo say it again..........I like Old Potrero (the one year old Rye Malt whiskey at 123.5 proof).

It is strong but quality stuff. You would never guess (at least I wouldn't guess) that it is that strong. It is a unique spirit and certainly not to everyone's taste. And, although it ain't my everyday pour, it is still something I want to have available!

BTW, I think Anchor's Old Foghorn is one of the world's greatest beers!! In fact, all their beers are excellent.
Last edited by Mike on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Mike wrote: BTW, I think Anchor's Old Foghorn is one of the world's greatest beers!! In fact, all their beers are excellent.

Mike,

I'd have to agree regarding Anchor's beers...they are good! But Old Foghorn stands in a league of its own IMO, when compared to other BarleyWines. Damn good stuff.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Brewer, I will be posting soon (in the What Ale You forum) about my homebrew Celebration Ale (it is now in secondary fermentation) and a Barley Wine called 'Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout' from Terrapin Ale out of Athens GA. They make some first class beers, including their Terrapin Ale, a rye beer.

Hang on, I may send you one of each.........they are THAT good!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:53 am

Mike,

I'll be looking forward to reading about your homebrew, and I'm hoping that I'll be drinking some GA brew as I do so! :drink: :beer:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby kbuzbee » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:02 pm

fricky wrote:If you want to try a very good rye whiskey, I suggest Wild Turkey. Unfortunately, that is also unavailable in Pennsylvania. However, if you leave in the Eastern part of PA you may not have far to drive to get it in New Jersey, New York, or Delaware.

... and if you live in Western PA Ohio will gladly sell you a bottle. Wild Turkey Rye is awesome stuff. One of my favorite everyday pours.

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby OscarV » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:00 pm

go to http://www.samswine.com and order it home delivered

Oscar
OscarV

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:23 am

Mike wrote:Well, I've said it afore, and Imo say it again..........I like Old Potero (the one year old Rye Malt whiskey at 123.5 proof).

Mike, hopefully this won't offend too many others, but the fact is, the people who don't appreciate Old Potrero often are people who simply don't like rye whisky. There is plenty of (otherwise) bourbon out there that can have the rye content pushed up over 51% and will be appreciated as rye by those who don't know any better. I personally love Van Winkle Family Reserve, but the truth is that real rye doesn't taste like that. Thank you for noticing!
EllenJ

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight