Me and Barleycorn (my dog) had a sip last night, we did.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Me and Barleycorn (my dog) had a sip last night, we did.

Unread postby Mike » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:17 pm

I been on the wagon for a few days and decided that I needed a sip. Barleycorn seemed to know where I was going and asked if he could join me in a drink. He will always ask for the Old Rip Van Winkle 15 YO, it has been his favorite for a while yet.

I gave him the last of the open bottle of ORVW (fortunately, I gots 3 mo) and he took it to the corner by the campfire........ok, ok, it was the fireplace, and it didn't even have no fire in it.

Each sip he took was followed by a long sigh cause he goes on the wagon when I do..........he don't like it, but, hey, he is my dog and must suffer with me. When I went over too close to him the sigh changed to a growl........damn dog got no sense of appreciation.

Well, I couldn't make up my feeble mind just what I wanted so I pitched in and tried a small handfull. I whipped out the 21 YO Black Maple Hill (almost gone and at $110 a bottle, I don't think Imo replace it), the Elijah Craig 12 YO, the Rowan's Creek, and lastly, the Old Fitzgerald 1849.

Now, lest you think I was putting away too much, I only took a drap from each and every bottle, just a drap, mind you.

I couldn't seem to get quite comfortable with none of 'em 'til I hit on the Old Fitz. That was what I had been awanting and had to pick through them others to get there.

Now Barleycorn and me was all both happy. Toward the end there he couldn't contain himself and let out a howl (he has a good bit of bloodhound in him, you know). That woke up the wife and when she started down the hall toward our campsite..........er, ah, I mean great room, Barleycorn lit out, taking the ORVW with him.............he knows who the REAL boss is around these parts.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight