"Alex Perino's" Aged 14 Yrs Kentucky Straight Bou

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

"Alex Perino's" Aged 14 Yrs Kentucky Straight Bou

Unread postby Alan Hambra » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:18 pm

hi,
i'm new to this board and a budding bourbon enthusiast! does anybody have any info on this bottle of bourbon i just purchased at an estate sale? i'm trying to figure out if it's any good or not before i open it. i think it was made especially for Perino's restaurant here in los angeles which is no longer in business. hoffman distilling co. lawrenceburg and bottled by trojan distillers are both listed on the label. any info would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
-alan

http://www.perinos.net/
Attachments
perino's.jpg
perino's.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
perino's label back.jpg
perino's label back.jpg (314.68 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
perino's label.jpg
perino's label.jpg (318.52 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
Alan Hambra

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:05 pm

The Hoffman distillery is the distillery that created Ezra Brooks in the 60's. It went out of business in the 70s and Julian Van Winkle bought the old distillery. for about 20 years it was the location for the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery in Lawrenceburg. Julian recently sold it when he signed a deal with Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. I have had mixed opinions on the Hoffman whiskey. I have drank some that was quite good and some other that was not so good and even bad. I say open it up and try some. I suspect that the restaurant would stock only good whiskey for their private label so the odds are in your favor for a good whiskey.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Alan Hambra » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:31 pm

thanks for the info! my main concern was that i didn't want to open a bottle of whiskey that was really worth a lot. i'm afraid of someday somebody telling me "oh my god you drank one of the finest bourbons around" as my appreciation for good whiskey is just starting to develope. what i'm trying to say is that i don't think i would be able to tell the difference between a $50 bottle and a $500 bottle and i didn't want to waste it. do you think i am in any danger of this or is there no way that the hoffman distillery ever produced that fine a caliber of bourbon?
thanks again!
-alan
Alan Hambra

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:08 am

I noticed you posted this twice. Mark has locked out the other post but chuckmick made some good comments at the other posting before Mark locked it out. I do want to clarify one thing about chuckmick's comments. The Hoffman distillery was not associated with the Van Winkle Family until after it went out of business. Julian did not bottle your bottle of whiskey so if it is a dissapointing pour, don't blame Julian Van Winkle. He will still have a spotless record of picking great bourbons to bottle.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby stevemk » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:53 pm

bourbonv wrote:The Hoffman distillery is the distillery that created Ezra Brooks in the 60's. It went out of business in the 70s and Julian Van Winkle bought the old distillery. for about 20 years it was the location for the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery in Lawrenceburg. Julian recently sold it when he signed a deal with Buffalo Trace in Frankfort.

Mike Veach

Who bought the Hoffman Distillery? Are any bourbons being distilled there?
stevemk

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 pm

There has not been anything made at the Hoffman distillery since the 1970s. If I am not mistaken the still was removed before the Van Winkle's purchased it. Nothing is made there now. I do not know who bought the place from Julian but it was probably not anyone interested in distilling.
Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Strayed » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:14 pm

It should be noted, for those not familiar with the real Sunset/Wilshire Hollywood culture, that this bourbon's selection by Perino's for its house label is possibly a more impressive statement about the quality than selection for the Pendennis house bourbon. Label hyperbole aside (and I have to say, this example is certainly piled higher and deeper than most) I wouldn't be surprised to find a connection with the Van Winkles (probably II).
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Return to Bourbon, Straight