The bourbon find of the DECADE

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The bourbon find of the DECADE

Unread postby Joeluka » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:20 pm

Hello everybody, My wife's grandfather (who passed in Sep. '00) was a big shot businessman. He owned a couple of successful buisnesses and had a taste for the finer things in life. His wine and spirit bunker filled 4 full-sized closets in his basement. I've raided before last night and scored some crazy scotch and wine in the past. Both times I had to stop raiding when my wife felt I had too many bottles each time. (She has sinced stopped that and has raided it for me a couple of times on her own)

Last night I was asked by my wife's grandmother if I wanted to go and take a couple of bottles since my wife told her about my current obession with my whiskey obession. "YES YES YES" I said.

Here it is folks: Old Grand Dad-4/5-Bottled in 68
Old Grand Dad-quart-Bottled in 71
2- Wild Turkey- 4/5- bottled in 66-8yr
Wild Turkey- 4/5- bottled in 72-8yr
Wild Turkey-quart-bottled in 75-8yr
The dates I'm giving for as bottled are the numbers on the bottom of the bottle. I assume that how you find out the date of the bottling. The OGD has the same number on the bottom of the bottle and the lower left corner of the label

George Dickel Commeriative bottling ( the horn shaped bottle with leather handle)

AND NOW THE GREATEST FIND EVER!!!!!!!
Very Very Old Fitzgerald-12yr- Fall '57-Fall '69 in perfect condition with the red felt bag.

I couldnt beilieve what I found, I opend one of the '66 Wild turkeys and it is out of the world. I plan on bringing one of the OGD's to the Gaezebo (unless someone PM's me with a trade I cant resit) I am also willing to trade one of the Wild Turkeys. PM me if your interested.

Now please let me all know what you think of my score and what the impact of these bourbons are to my drinking enjoyment.

Joe
Last edited by Joeluka on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeluka

Unread postby Joeluka » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:23 pm

I trying to figure out how to make my digital camera take smaller pictures so I can post them. I took a butt-load of pictures last night and I cant attach them yet . Please stay tuned for them. I can Email them to you if you want to see them for the trade.

Joe
Joeluka

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:41 pm

Well done, Joe, it sounds great. I have a partly full Old Grandad from just before the sale to Jim Beam and I plan on bringing that to Gazebo and much else (ee.g., ND Old Taylor Quart): it will be interesting to compare different eras of ND ownership! The WT sounds great, too - and the Old Fitzgerald. If you open it, post a note in Whiskey Reviews, that will bea coup!

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Chris » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:58 pm

That's a great find!... The only thing that hurts is seeing auctions like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=6244884620&id=&sasel=

..at over $600 it hurts to break that seal :shock:, but the VVOF is great stuff...
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:57 pm

The George Dickel Powderhorn bottle is also a very exciting find. The whiskey is excellent and after the bottle is empty you a very nice collectable. Not only do whiskey collectors prize that bottle, but Star Trec fans doa s well. It was used as a prop to serve Romulan Ale in several episodes.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Joeluka » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:33 pm

What was the price of a VVOF 12 compared to other bourbons of the time? Was it considered a "super-priemum" at the time? If any of our older BE.com's could fill me in I'd appriecate it. By the way I opened the OGD '68 and it is like no OGD currently out there. What a shame the way JB destroyed it!!!

Joe
Joeluka

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:12 pm

Joe,
From what I remember from price lists in the United Distillers Archive, the 12yo version was more expensive, but not as much as you would think. I think it was about $25.00 or $30.00 a fifth in the 60's.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Strayed » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:31 am

Joeluka wrote:OGD '68... is like no OGD currently out there. What a shame the way JB destroyed it!!!

Have mercy, Joe :) Beam actually did pretty well by OGD, considering. The old National Distillers OGD stock had to run out sometime, and it did. But Clermont/Boston-distilled Grand Dad of today is quite remarkably similar to the old flavor profile. Last time Mike Veach visited, we did a side-by-side between a current 100-proof BIB and a 1959 BIB we have and he found only superficial differences. It's not like what they did with Old Taylor and Old Crow.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:40 pm

John,
In Joe's defense, Bonded bourbon is truely a vintage bourbon and it could very well be that his bottle is clearly superior to the present make. That is one of the things I truely like about old bonded bourbons is the differences from year to year. You can not add a little older bourbon to match the profile I think only a three way tasting of Joes Grand Dad and your two bottles are the way to settle the difference.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Joeluka » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:13 pm

When and Where are we going to do this????

Joe :)
Joeluka

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:47 am

Wow, congrats, Joe, that is a very cool stash you stumbled onto!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:42 am

John, this is not my experience. I have a 1980's ND Old Grandad and even at only 80 proof it is, IMHO, better than any OG available today. It is rich, balanced, fruity and sweetish: current OG's are less of each and have a characteristic "zesty rye", "fresh wood" note I do not detect in the ND whiskey. I think what I am noticing is nothing peculiar to Clermont OG but rather current house characteristics of Clermont production and aging process. I note similar characteristics in the Beam range and even, say, Old Overholt. Many people like them and it is all a question of personal taste. The only thing I can think of to explain that '59 BIB being similar to today's OG Bonded is if OG actually got BETTER between the mid-50's and 1987. I can't rule that out, but frankly I doubt that occurred. Hang on to that BIB and I'll hang on to my ND OG, we'll have a shootout one day against a current one.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:59 am

Gary,
Another possibility is that the Old Grand Dad sold in Kentucky by Beam could be superior to the Old Grand Dad sold in Canada or other distant markets. This does bear some looking into so if you bring your old bottle, also bring a new bottle as well.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:13 pm

Mike, thanks, the Old-Grandad currently available in Ontario is the 114 proof bottling. It is the same as those available in the U.S. as far as I know, but I don't know if Kentucky-released OG may be better. Is there any precedent for that, why would Jim Beam distinguish in quality between the Kentucky and other markets?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:04 pm

Gary,
There is a strong precedent for such practices. The 86 Proof products are often called "Kentucky Proof" because people in Kentucky would not buy an 80 proof product. The brands also "take care of" established markets and those markets are usually the last to see a change in flavor profile. Old Grand Dad has always been popular in Kentucky, thus Beam maybe saving the best for Kentucky.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight