Whisky Fest in Chicago

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Whisky Fest in Chicago

Unread postby gluce » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was curious to kow if anyone plans on attending the Whiskey Fest in Chicago in March? Also any feedback on the event, is it worth the trip and expense, is it fun?

Thanks,

George
gluce

Unread postby MGillespie » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:06 pm

George, I go to the New York events each year, and I would recommend it for every whiskey lover. Because it's so close to Kentucky, you may see even more of the bourbon legends around than we get in New York. Last November, I was able to tape interviews with Jimmy Russell and Parker Beam, along with Bill Samuels, Jr. The guys from Buffalo Trace were there as well...and I can't see why they wouldn't be in Chicago. (By the way, they tend to pour generously at these events)

Plus, if you have little experience with Scotches, there's plenty of chances to try some out for free...

Go...just be sure to plan on driving back late the next day...

Mark
MGillespie

Unread postby JAORobot » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:00 pm

where is this whiskey fest and how much is it?

is there a website?
JAORobot

Unread postby Mark » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:38 pm

WhiskyFest goes to certain cities during the year and is put on by The Malt Advocate. Here's a link:

http://www.whiskyfest.com/

The next one is in Chicago: http://www.whiskyfest.com/html/chicago.html

I went to the one in NYC not this year but last and although crowded, it was a lot of fun. I heard this year they raised the price but sold less tickets so moving around was a bit more managable. It's a bit pricey but it is nice to do at least once IMO.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm

I enjoy Whiskeyfest. Each year it becomes more of an event beyond the Hyatt Regency Ballroom, with local bars and package stores staging events to coincide with it. I can't speak for New York, but in Chicago Whiskeyfest is quickly becoming Whiskey Week.

I should also say that I live in the city, so I can conveniently use public transportation.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby doubleblank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:07 pm

I went last year and will return this year. As Chuck said, the activities outside of the official event are where the action is. Nothing more fun than watching the Van Winkles wait bar at Delilah's.....and have to locate some customer's request for an obscure SMSW.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby JAORobot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:33 pm

doubleblank wrote:I went last year and will return this year. As Chuck said, the activities outside of the official event are where the action is. Nothing more fun than watching the Van Winkles wait bar at Delilah's.....and have to locate some customer's request for an obscure SMSW.

Randy

someone PLEASE let me know when this is happening next!!!
JAORobot

Unread postby doubleblank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Go to the Malt Advocate website for details and tickets. Its March 29 this year IIRC.
doubleblank

Unread postby Mark » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:44 am

Click on the links I gave ya' a few posts up, all the details are there. I'm sure you'd have a great time as everyone else has said. I liked the Ny one very much.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby JAORobot » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:01 pm

oh no, I am more interested in the special events around the city, such as the van winkles tending bar at delilah's!
JAORobot

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:25 am

JAORobot wrote:oh no, I am more interested in the special events around the city, such as the van winkles tending bar at delilah's!

That's all unofficial and not necessarily decided until late in the game, but stay tuned here and as people hear about things I'm sure they'll post them. There is usually something at Sam's, something at Binny's, something at Twisted Spoke and something at Delilah's, and maybe somebody new will jump in the pool this year.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby jvanwinkle » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:46 pm

The Van Winkles & a few other distillers will be at the Twisted Spoke at 3369 N. Clark, on Wednesday the 29th of March.
We'll be guest bartending at Delilah's after the Whiskfest Thursday night, as usual.
Julian
jvanwinkle

Unread postby doubleblank » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:26 pm

I'll take one (or more) of Preston's mean Old Fashion'ds please. ORVW 10/107 will be fine. See you in Chicago.

Randy
doubleblank

Return to Bourbon, Straight