Pittsburg or Cleveland?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Pittsburg or Cleveland?

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:00 am

I may end up in Pittsburg or Cleveland this month on business. (for about a day)

I always make a point to check the liquor stores when I travel for treats that may not be available back home.

Does anyone know of any truely outstanding liquor stores in either of these 2 cities where I might find some interesting bourbon?

Your answers may influence which city I visit :D

Thanks!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:04 am

Mike,
They are both in control states so you should be able to go on line and see what each state offers in their ABC stores.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:53 am

Mike, Thanks for the info.

I found the PA product listing pretty easily, but cannot find an online stock list for OH. If anyone knows where this is, please post the link.

Thanks!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:37 pm

Mike,
I don'y kmow the link, but I will say most people I know that live in Cincy come to Kentucky for their bourbon. I don't remember it as being anything special the one time I was in an Ohio ABC store.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Pittsburg or Cleveland?

Unread postby NeoTexan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:06 pm

MikeK wrote:I may end up in Pittsburg or Cleveland this month on business. (for about a day)

I always make a point to check the liquor stores when I travel for treats that may not be available back home.

Does anyone know of any truely outstanding liquor stores in either of these 2 cities where I might find some interesting bourbon?

Your answers may influence which city I visit :D

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,
I have also looked and have found nothing. That's ok, though because that is what you will find on the shelf. Gotta love control states!!

Let me know in a PM when you are in Cleveland and I will try to meet you for a drink or two.

Dale
NeoTexan

Unread postby kbuzbee » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:50 pm

Dale is correct, there are stores here (Cleveland) but nothing you would consider particularly interesting. I think Pittsburgh might be more interesting but that could be a "grass is greener" thing. Particularly there isn't much downtown. All the better stores are in the outlyingareas. I would say the most interesting are on the East side. I can send you the address if you like or you can follow this link:

State of Ohio locations

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:49 pm

The best liquor stores in Pittsburg AND Cleveland are in Louisville. Go there instead.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby dale3mike » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:13 pm

Mike wrote:The best liquor stores in Pittsburg AND Cleveland are in Louisville. Go there instead.

:wink:

Mike
dale3mike

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Mike wrote:The best liquor stores in Pittsburg AND Cleveland are in Louisville. Go there instead.

I agree Mike. I visited the liquor stores in Louisville, Lexington, and Bardstown last spring and brought home as much as I could carry. There are regulations about carry-on, but nothing about how much can be in your luggage :D I have a standing arrangement at work; if they ever need to send someone to KY, it shall be me.

But I often find something interesting in other cities as well. In Phoenix for instance, the best liquor store I found was actually a grocery store. I picked up a BMH at a much better price than in my area and I also got a 750ml ceramic jug of Evan Williams Master Distillers Select, which I never saw in KY. (Other than the 375ml jug at the HH gift shop).

While in TX not too long ago I brought back AAA (which I can't get up here) and WT Rye, which can be tough to find.

Cheers!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Strayed » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:21 am

Amen to all of the above.

HOWEVER!!!.....

Ohio DOES offer an opportunity to prove just how dedicated a collector you really are. This is one of only a very few control states where you can purchase -- in the supermarket -- distilled spirits such as bourbon and rye whiskey, vodka, rum, brandy, and many others that you cannot find anywhere else.

There is a reason you won't find them anywhere else. Although they often have familiar labels, this is a category of liquor that is so far away from what anyone would consider "spirits" that even the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms folks don't have a definition for it. The labels all contain the word "diluted". That's because the contents cannot exceed twenty percent alcohol. That's 40 proof. There are WINES that have more alcohol in them than that! Pennsylvania and Virginia (just two examples I'm familiar with) may have cockamamie liquor laws, but at least the whiskey you can't buy is (or at least would be, if you could get it) a decent 80+ proof. And of course, since there's no reason to do such a horrible thing to your good whiskey, the brands that ARE available in diluted form are not exactly top shelf, either.

Nevertheless, if you are a TRUE COLLECTOR of American spirits, you don't wan't to miss the diluted brands found in most Ohio supermarkets. You won't find them in state-licensed liquor stores, just supermarkets. Liquor stores have the real, full-proof versions of Beam white label, Maker's Mark, Jack Daniel's, and Wild Turkey.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby NeoTexan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:00 am

Strayed wrote:HOWEVER!!!.....

Ohio DOES offer an opportunity to prove just how dedicated a collector you really are. This is one of only a very few control states where you can purchase -- in the supermarket -- distilled spirits such as bourbon and rye whiskey, vodka, rum, brandy, and many others that you cannot find anywhere else.

BOY!!....... Am I lucky or what!! I get to live in this state!! All the deluted stuff I can handle. (Please let me transfer to KY)
NeoTexan

Return to Bourbon, Straight