Favorite Glassware

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Favorite Glassware

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:14 pm

I have been drinking bourbon out of Reidel bourbon glasses for several months now. I bought 4 of them so that I could make comparisons with the same glasses.

I have been pleased with them, but my friends at 'my' liquor gave me a Eisch bourbon glass (I guess they gave it to me because I wouldn't buy it and they wanted me to try it).

It is shaped like a generous highball glass. The guys at the liquor store tell me that it breathes much better than regular glass and they say that their wine drinkers are quite taken with this Eisch stuff.

I looked it up on the web and the manufacturer (Eisch, a German company) claims that the glass is breathable and does in a couple of minutes what it takes other glassware about 30 minutes to do.........let the spirit breathe. They had an explanation of sorts but it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Anywayhow, I have tried the glass twice now and by golly I am a convert. I tried my regular Reidel and this Eisch side by side with Van Winkle Reserve 12 YO and with Wild Turkey Tribute (one of the finest bourbon noses known to homo sapiens).

After a couple of minutes I nosed the bourbons and the alcohol was much more prominent in the Reidel glasses. The Eisch glass revealed more aromas and in the case of Tribute more vanilla, oak, and brown sugar came through than in the Reidel glass. The Reidel glass seemed to concentrate the alcohol and the rye.

I am sold on the Eisch glass, anyone else tried them? At the liquor store they sell for about $15, I believe. I would not have bought one but could not turn down a free one and Nikko went on and on about them.

The difference to the nose of this bourbon drinker is readily apparant. I suppose I will end up with mo bourbon glassware............but first Imo try it with my drinking buddies and see what they think.

Barleycorn, my dog, is ecstatic about the Eisch glass. He can get his mouth in it much better than the Reidel and it is less delicate so he isn't so concerned about breaking it. If he breaks my new Eisch glass, Imo whup his ash.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby ChuckMick » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:24 pm

Mike,

I'm was so interested that I went to the Eisch glass web site and tried to find what you are describing. Is it the Superior Breathable line? I don't suppose you could post a picture of this remarkable glass for me (us) could you? Please 8)

Thanks for the info.

Chuck
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby Mike » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:27 pm

Let's try this and see do it work.............

Ah, that is better.

I looked over the Eisch site and several others and could not find this specific glass and I don't know its name. Next time I am at the liquor store, I will see if I can get more info on this particular glassware.
Attachments
P1000114.jpg
P1000114.jpg (12.18 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
P1000109.jpg
P1000109.jpg (14.84 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Drinking glasses

Unread postby gluce » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:02 pm

I purchased the Riedel at Williams and Sonoma. The glass is very nice, I haven't tried the Eisch but agin the Riedel is fine. The history behind the glass and its development is interesting too.

There are two types of whisky glasses by Riedel, one is mass produced and the other is made by hand the cost is significant though. Hand = $64.00 and mass = $22.00.

You can find it on the web cheaper but the wait may be weeks before it arrives. The more expensive glass is minutely thinner than the mass produced but the design and the final outcome is almost the same. Being that the hand made one is thinner it may breathe somewhat better. But for the cash get the mass produced 2-4 for friends and you can get one of the hand made ones for your own use.

You can tell the difference by the stem. The less expensive is the Vinum and the more expensive is the Sommeliers. Riedel Whisky Glass.

Hope this is helpful. it is a beautiful glass by the way. Here is a site to check it out. I did not purchase it from here just to read only. Don't know if they are reliable.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/riedel/b ... 4975.shtml

George
gluce

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Mike,
I have been sold on the Glencairn whiskey glass. I was given one when I visited George Washington's still house site at Mt. Vernon a couple of years ago and have been hooked ecer since. The nice thing is you can get them fairly cheap. Heaven Hill sells these glasses in their gift shop for about $7.00. Julian has some with the Old Rip Van Winkle logo on them that he has been giving away at tastings with a purchase of his products but I assume he has also placed them in the gift shop at Buffalo Trace.

They are a nice tulip shaped glass that really enhance the nose of a bourbon. They are sturdy without a stem so they can be carried with you to bourbon tasting parties with friends. They also feel down right good in the hand with a healthy shot of whiskey in them. Barleycorn may not like them because it would be hard for him to get his hose deep into the glass, but I am sure that won't bother you!

I had some of the Reidel glasses that Beam gave away with a Knob Creek event at D Marie's. Both glasses are gone now with the stems having broken off and I have no desire to replace them.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:04 pm

I find that a plain old brandy snifter works for me. I can get 'em at a local glass outlet for 3 bucks apiece. They work just fine.
Joe :flag:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby kbuzbee » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:11 pm

My favorite goes back and forth between the rocks glasses WT gave away with Rare Breed several years ago (not the new barrel shaped glasses) and the Schott Zweisel cask aged Spirits glass (a foofee stemmed job but it's a great glass). The Rare Breed glasses are WAY more sturdy feeling and the very heavy base keeps them stabile where I put them (can you say couch cushion :o ) where as the SZ glass is stemmed so that just won't work. Both show off the nose nicely. Which is better varies by which bourbon (GTS and Bookers in the Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit and Saz in the SZ)

Ken
kbuzbee

Return to Bourbon, Straight