An interesting experience

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

An interesting experience

Unread postby Mike » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:53 pm

Some will say I did the unforgiveable.............a friend and I just did a side by side with Bourbon and Scotch.

I bought him a bottle of Bowmore Darkest Islay Sherry Cask Scotch for Christmas (naturally I was a bit selfish in wanting to have a sip myself). He likes Scotch better than Bourbon, but I am getting him to acknowledge that Bourbon is the equal of Scotch.

So we try the Bowmore, and it is some of the best Scotch I have ever had. To verify that we tries a bit of Aberlour a'bunadh along with a smidge of Ardbeg Uigeadail, and a skosh of Balvenie 12 YO Doublewood. The Bowmore has a deep and complex nose that carries right over into the taste. It was our choice on this occasion over the others.

Now, says I, let's see how this great Scotch compares to great Bourbons!
Out comes the WT Tribute, the Pappy 20 YO, and the Blanton's. Each and every one of these whiskeys is very, very, good. But doing side by sides with Scotch was an enlightening experience.

They are different to be sure, but in my mind, at least, they were not at odds with each other. It was like the uniques characteristics of each was amplified.

For this particular evening we thought the Bowmore Darkest Islay and the Wild Turkey Tribute were the most complex, most interesting, deepest, and richest of them all.

Because they were different and offered a contrast, the strengths of each was apparent. My friend, who has always preferred Scotch, was willing to admit for the first time that Bourbon is the equal of Scotch. And, as for me, it rejuvenated an interest in Scotch.

I will be buying a bottle of Bowmore Darkest Islay for myself soon, soon.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: An interesting experience

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:03 am

Mike wrote:Some will say I did the unforgiveable.............a friend and I just did a side by side with Bourbon and Scotch.

Although you may get run out of town on a rail for this grievous infraction, it does not make you a bad person. We can talk about your other behaviors at a later time :)

Art and I used to regularly taste a flight of Scotch and a flight of Bourbon over the same evening. Satan did not appear and drag us away. I think the only reason we don't do this anymore is because our bunkers have gotten large enough that we can easily stay with one or the other.

One odd thing though. You MUST get a fresh glass between Scotch and Bourbon. Rinsing will not do. An interesting chemical reaction occurs when even the smallest trace of one contacts the other. Maybe this is the gods showing their disapproval. Anyway, even with a thorough rinse your glass will skank and particulates may even grow. Beware!

Mike wrote:I will be buying a bottle of Bowmore Darkest Islay for myself soon, soon.

Thats sounds pretty damn good. I think I'll have to try some soon as well ...

Cheers Mike!

[NorthEastern] Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:22 am

Mike,
When I do a class on the history of bourbon, I always assign this project as homework - take a glass of scotch, a glass of cognac and a glass of bourbon and compare the products. After the comparison is made tell me which of the two products are most alike. Try it yourself and let me know.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:28 am

Mike,
I've done this. The Bourbon and Cognac are very similar but the Scotch tasted like "Asphalt". Scotland can keep it's Scotch. Give me Bourbon and maybe an occasional Cognac.
Joe :flag:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:30 am

Last night at an informal tasting at a colleague's we tasted a Bonded Old Grandad, current issue, and a 25 year old Highland Park right after. The comparison was not flattering to the Beam product. We did not intend any kind of comparison though and had we wanted to we would have chosen an older, more refined bourbon (that KBD 1976 Vintage Bourbon would have been ideal, or perhaps a Craig 18 year old (many of which are 22 years old or so), and so forth. But still, the bourbon came off as crude and almost undrinkable next to the elegant rich old malt whisky. Next time we'll taste, say, ORVW 20 year old against an inexpensive blended scotch. :)

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Art L » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:03 pm

It's funny, when I've been drinking scotch and bourbon in the same sitting, I haven't actually sat back and thought, "which is better?" I've felt that both are tasty in their own distinct way.
But I think a mixed tasting is a great idea. Especially if it gives you more appreciation for both products.

gillmang wrote:Next time we'll taste, say, ORVW 20 year old against an inexpensive blended scotch.

If you do that Gary, I think the ORVW 20 will just crush the blended scotch!

I wonder if Mike Veach gives more specific examples of what types of bourbon, scotch, and cognac to compare in his history class's homework? Just so they are playing on a even field.
Art L

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:51 pm

JoeBourbon wrote:Mike,
I've done this. The Bourbon and Cognac are very similar but the Scotch tasted like "Asphalt". Scotland can keep it's Scotch. Give me Bourbon and maybe an occasional Cognac.
Joe :flag:

To me the ultra-peated Islay malts are a flavor abomination of the very worst kind, and to say they taste as good as "Asphalt" (or tarmac) is being WAAAY too kind. :roll:
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:21 pm

I agree bourbon and scotch are apples and oranges (and the very peated scotch vs. other malts also are a completely different animal, yes). But I think one can compare them in a rough kind of way in the sense of whether they are similar in quality (not taste). Grandad Bonded isn't bad but there are many bourbons, including in its price range, that are better, IMO.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:47 pm

For the homework, I was suggesting whatever products they had in the bar that were similar in price range. This usually means a blended scotch unless they have some Pappy 15 or similar product in their bar.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight