The ole desert island scenario thingy again

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The ole desert island scenario thingy again

Unread postby Mike » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:09 pm

I know that the true blue knowledgeable bourbon lovers frown on picking a favorite bourbon (and I, while not a true blue, have said the self same thing about picking a favorite or best my very own self).

So Imo break my own rule and indulge in a little fantasy and you are welcome to join those of us who like to play silly 'what if' games.

To make it a bit more interesting, I ain't gone say you gotta pick just one bourbon on this 'rest of your life trip' to a desert island (since it is the 'rest of your life' and you frequent this site, I know you gone pick yo bourbon most carefully). You can pick up to 7 bourbons, based, of course, on your current state of mind and drinking experience.

My own approach will not be to pick specific bourbons first but distillers/bottlers that I would want to include.

Two immediate must haves come to mind. I must have at least one thing from the Van Winkle line and one thing from the Wild Turkey line (in my mind, Wild Turkey represents bourbon so very well).

I also think that Buffalo Trace (even though I can't get most of their stuff and have never tried the BT label itself) should be included, based on the George T Stagg I have had. I also think that Jim Beam ort to be in the picture.

I am beginning to experience a bit of stress here because I must, absolutely must, include an A H Hirsch bourbon, and since the onliest one I have tried is the 16 YO, it must go with me.

Now to my mind, I know I want to have the ocasional rye on hand and here my experience is limited to Jim Beam and Old Portero.

And I also want a lower shelf bourbon to drink sometimes so that I can enjoy the gooder stuff more better when I return to it.

This is taking more thought than my pea brain is used to.

Here is where I stand now

Pappy Van Winkle 20 YO
Wild Turkey Tribute (Mark can get me some more of that, if not, the Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit are good too)
A H Hirsch 16 YO
Bookers
Jim Beam Rye (I know somma y'all gonna cringe, but I do like it and haven't had the Van Winkle or the Sazarac, or even the WT, which is available to me)
George T Stagg (the 2004 spring release is the onliest one I have tried but I likes it a bunch)

Off the lower shelf, I am having a bit of trouble, but what comes to mind is the Ancient Age 10 Star. It is a bit rough, rougher than Old Granddad or even the Jim Beam White, but still not rot-gut (I ain't taking no rot-gut........in fact, I don't even know no rot-gut whiskey). I couldn't tell you the worst bourbon I have ever had cause I ain't had none that I said 'This is some bad shit'. I have had such in the beer line...........remember Carling Black Label Beer? Now, that was some bad shit!!

So, add Ancient Age 10 Star to my list of bourbons that are going with me to that desert island.................and if you don't ask what I did to deserve being sent there, I won't ask what you did to get YOU there.

Hope this will be interesting to at least a few people who like to play these silly games.

I look forward to seeing your response and the reasons for your choices, and it don't bother me some atall if you take a completely different approach.
Last edited by Mike on Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby sevenmag » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:54 pm

Knob Creek
Booker's
Stagg
Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 yr. Rye
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Eagle Rare 17
Makers Mark.

These are the ones I like, and reach for most often, so that's what I'd want around.
sevenmag

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:41 pm

Well, with seven to choose, I'll pretty much stock my desert-island bar the same way I do my normal one:

1. AAA 10yo (even in this fantasy scenario I still want my faithful friend around!)
2. BT (If there's such thing as a one-bourbon-does-it-all, this is my choice)
3. Pappy 20 (this'd be my pick for ultra-high-end)
4. OFBB (even though the recent releases are declining in quality, I still like it for its uniqueness and is the only B-F bourbon I keep)
5. EC12 (I want this around for a change of pace...it's certainly not a 'fantasy' bourbon, but there are times when it's the only bourbon that'll 'scratch' my 'itch'.)
6. Eagle Rare 17yo (another ultra-premium I'd like onhand)
7. Blanton's

Not a good distillery cross-section is it? No matter--I wouldn't lose any sleep on the island.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby kbuzbee » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:18 pm

Fun exercise, Mike.

Wild Turkey - Tribute - If I can have it, I'll take it. Enough to drink every day (if I can't have the Tribute, fill in Kentucky Spirit!)
Buffalo Trace - George T. Stagg - A nice full bodied pour with plenty of spice to it. Enough to fill in those few days I'd not be drinking Tribute.
Beam - Booker's nice and fully flavored, chewy and plenty of oomph!
Buffalo Trace - William Larue Weller, I'm not much for wheaters but this stuff is wonderful and a very nice change of pace.
Buffalo Trace - Sazerac Rye 18 - Gotta have a good rye in the mix.

So there, 5 and Ken's a happy boy. I have room for two extra if someone else needs me to carry for them.

I don't really need a low end pour but if I took one, JTS Brown. It's ggod enough to drink straight but if I have Stagg and Tribute, why would I??

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:28 pm

iffen ima gonna be shipwrecked upon some desserted isle, then ima would need at least 1,000 cases of each of the following:

1) Blanton's

2) Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

3) Four Roses Single Barrel

4) Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1994

5) Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

6) Knob Creek

7) Pappy Van Winkel Family Reserve 20 year old

8) Virginia Gentleman 90 Proof 'The Fox'

9) Old Charter 12 year old "The Classic 90"

10) Last, but not least - my everyday pour Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old.

That's 120,000 bottles and ought to last ima a year or two.
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Here's my 7:
1. Wild Turkey Tribute
2. Old Ezra 15 y/o 101 proof sippin whiskey
3. Pappy Van Winkle 20 y/o
4. Old Rip Van Winkle 15 y/o 107 proof
5. George T. Stagg (any iteration)
6. Eagle Rare 17 y/o 90 proof
7. Ancient Ancient Age
Joe :santa:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Art L » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:42 am

I think I'll go from lowest proof on up, the same way I plan my night out.

1. Van Winkle special reserve 12 yr (lot B) 90 proof
2. Sazerac Rye 90 proof
3. Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel 100 proof
4. W.L. Weller 14yr Single Barrel 100 proof (special bottling)
5. Wild Turkey Tribute 101 proof
6. Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr 107 proof (I haven't tried the 20yr old but I hope to soon!)
7. George T Stagg (any of their various proofs)

I think it's nice that Mike included some rye whiskey in this equation even though we are in a Bourbon forum. I love my Rye, and Bourbon, and Scotch too. I'd be sure to bring some scotch with me to that desert island but I reckon that list doesn't quite fit in here...
Art L

Return to Bourbon, Straight