Which one's in your sights?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Which one's in your sights?

Unread postby NFlames » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:53 pm

Seems like there are plenty on here who've got plenty of bourbon in their bar. But if anyone else on here is like me (and I suspect the majority are) you're always thinking about what to pick up next, whether it be an old favorite, or a long sought after brand you've yet to find. But there's always something on your mind isn't there? :D

I'm planning on picking up some Bulleit here within the next few days (was avoiding it based on a Whisky mag review, but it seems as though it's highly regarded here.) Also looking for W.L. Weller 19yr old, Eagle Rare 17yr old, Sazerac, George T. Stagg, Elmer T. Lee and some of the younger Van Winkle's. I'd also love to find some of the "non-standard" Blanton's bottlings.

Trying to pace myself as I've spent about $300 in less than a month on "impulse" whisk(e)y purchases. The wife loves when I do that! :D
NFlames

Unread postby Mark » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:44 pm

Oh man, in the old days I could have given you a list of several bottles but honestly now I can't think of one! I mean yes, I'm getting this years Stagg and the new Weller BP but making it a 'mission' to huint stuff out like days of old... I just don't have that 'drive' or time to be honest. Now its more when something comes out that sparks my interest I try and get a bottle so I can say Oh yeah I've had that and I though "this about it"

One thing from your list that I have to say is absolutely great but you 'may' have a hard time finding it is the Weller 19yo. It has been gone for several years now which is a shame as it was great stuff! Bottles may be out there but they may be priced quite high now if the shop owner knows what he has. If you should find any though, and they are still priced at their original (say $46 or less), get one and I'll pay ya to mail it to me. :lol: I really did love that original Weller.

Oh, so new for this year is the new WL Weller Barrel Proof which is 15 years old. I haven't tried it yet but I still have to make it out to LeNell's to pick up my bottle. I hear it is good so should you find that grab one. Also, my opinion again, but anything from BT especially their Antique collection is a winner and you will not wrong. The eagle rare 17yo is great and their Sazerac Rye is a bit floral (at least in past years) for a rye.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby NFlames » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:32 pm

Mark wrote:One thing from your list that I have to say is absolutely great but you 'may' have a hard time finding it is the Weller 19yo. It has been gone for several years now which is a shame as it was great stuff! Bottles may be out there but they may be priced quite high now if the shop owner knows what he has. If you should find any though, and they are still priced at their original (say $46 or less), get one and I'll pay ya to mail it to me. :lol: I really did love that original Weller.

Yep, that's the one I always looked for and never found, then when it was discontinued it became my white whale, not overly optimistic, but there's gotta be a bottle out there somewhere for a reasonable price.
NFlames

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:12 am

Ebay right now. $275. Is that a reasonable price? :lol:
Dave

Unread postby NFlames » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:29 am

Dave wrote:Ebay right now. $275. Is that a reasonable price? :lol:

LOL, no...not really, you almost made me spit my Black Maple Hill all over my laptop. :D
NFlames

Unread postby Mark » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:34 am

Damn, they're getting THAT much on eBay?! Wait, someone is asking that mush Dave or the bid is actually that high? Wow, I honestly can't imagine a bourbon being that good. :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby NFlames » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:15 pm

That's the "buy it now" price. No one's bid, the seller is in Osaka Japan, the photo used is a "ad" photo, doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence. Not that I'd bid that much on it anyway.

There's also an interesting bottle of "William Larue Weller" 121.9 "Barrel Proof" going for $99 right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/W-L-Weller-Bourbon-Bottle-KY-scotch-Whiskey-Rare_W0QQitemZ6233447436QQcategoryZ13916QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
NFlames

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:37 pm

Thanks to angleshare, I was able to snag a bottle of the 2005 fall release of George T. Stagg. It's very good and strongly reminded me of the original 2002 release.

I have my sights set on accquiring the rest of Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection. Their Eagle Rare 17 year old is a favorite of mine that I always enjoy, as is the 18 year old Sazerac rye. The unfiltered/uncut Weller should be excellent, and I am anxious to try it.

Two whiskies I'd like to sample are the Bernheim Wheat and the pot stilled four grain from Woodford Reserve.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:22 pm

http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZjackQ2ddanielsQ2dwhiskeyQ2djohnnieQ2dwalkerQ2dwhisky

That guy on ebay is occassionally getting his outrageous "buy it now prices". I've watched a few of his auctions.

Here are some of his pricings right now (unbelieveable but true)

WT Kentucky Spirit $200
Buffalo Trace $160
JimBeam Black $110

and the winner is...
Pappy VW $750

I'm not saying he's GETTING these prices, but sometimes he does!
Dave

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:26 pm

Back to topic,... I'm lucky enough to be picking up the fall release of Stagg, Sazerac and the new WL Weller this weekend. That it for what's in my sights. (I've decided not to buy the ER17 anymore, I prefer the regular BT better).

It's become too exhausting so I'm giving up trying to find the holy grail! I think I've found it in some the BT antique collection and a couple of the WT products.
Dave

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:33 pm

It's not bourbon, but I'd love to lay my hands on some more Van Winkle rye. I like it better than Sazerac. Haven't had this year's release yet, though.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby jburlowski » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:09 pm

Buffalo Trace $160
JimBeam Black $110

You're kididng, right? These are widely available locally for under $20.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby Chris » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:29 pm

Buffalo Trace $160
JimBeam Black $110

You're kididng, right? These are widely available locally for under $20.

If he's the guy I'm thinking of on ebay, that guy doesn't seem to know much about bourbon and i think he's just buying everything that he sees on the shelves in japan and putting them on ebay for 5-6 times the price, he doesn't seem to know what's available in the us and what's japan-only...
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:23 am

My story is similar to Mark's: Lately I've toned down my bourbon quests considerably. There was a day when I'd have driven several hours or taken hellacious subway journeys into the bowels of DC to find some elusive gem and then pay an atrocious markup for the privilege.

I guess I've been disappointed too many times.

As to what's in my sights...I'd be content just to get my hands on some Eagle Rare 17yo. My "Holy Grails" at this point would be the BTAC Weller and the 21yo Hirsch-branded rye, but I don't see myself making special Kentucky trips for 'em.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby Joeluka » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:50 am

As to what's in my sights...I'd be content just to get my hands on some Eagle Rare 17yo. My "Holy Grails" at this point would be the BTAC Weller and the 21yo Hirsch-branded rye, but I don't see myself making special Kentucky trips for 'em.

Lenell had the 21 yr Hirsch rye as of friday. Its going for $110. You should see if she has any left

Joe
Joeluka

Return to Bourbon, Straight