Anybody know anything about a bourbon called "80 Strong

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Anybody know anything about a bourbon called "80 Strong

Unread postby Joeluka » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:26 pm

I was just at one of my many spirit stops(liquor store) I check in at and I saw a bottle of "80 Strong" I never heard of it and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. They have a website http://www.80strong.com that is no help at all. It was going for $21.99.

On a different note, do I bunker another bottle of PappyVW 15yr or go for the more expensive Hancock SB.

Joe
Joeluka

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:42 pm

Joe,

I've never heard of 80 Strong.

The Hancock's Reserve is a great bourbon, but outside of KY, its overpriced IMO. Go for the Pappy 15.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mark » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:24 pm

I could be wrong but LeNell, was that the stuff you had in your store the last time I stopped by there?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:38 pm

Never heard of "80 Strong". Anybody else?
Joe :)
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mark » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:47 pm

You know, I didn't answer you 2nd question Joe but I'd go with Bob on that one. It's not often I turn down a Buffalo Trace product but I'd go for the Pappy 15. Not to say the Hancock isn't good but get a bottle in KY when you go since it is cheaper there by a little...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby tlsmothers » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Mark,
Yup, you did taste the Strong at the store. It's the young one with the pinup girl on it. I'll try to post a pic sometime. Sorry, folks, busy holiday time for retail so I'm not on much right now.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Mark » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:53 pm

Thanks LeNell, that's why I shot you that email right quick... I know this is an extra hectic time of the year for you. Thanks for verifying that for me. :)

Yeah guys and gals, I tried it and it did taste young. Almost had a mix between whitedog and moderately aged bourbon. Different but as I said, quite young.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby ChuckMick » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:17 pm

Here is what I found on the web

A sexy, blonde, tough girl created as part of the logo for 80 Strong, a new brand of bourbon whiskey set to debut Autumn 2005. She embodies the spirit of pinup girls of the past along with representing the edginess of the indie lifestyle today.

End Client: Strong Spirits

Industry Type: Food and Beverages

Medium: Point of Sale

Media Used To Create: Digital

Copyright Owner: Strong Spirits
Attachments
80-strongGirl.jpg
80 strong girl
80-strongGirl.jpg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 10338 times
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:15 am

Mark wrote:You know, I didn't answer you 2nd question Joe but I'd go with Bob on that one. Not to say the Hancock isn't good but get a bottle in KY when you go since it is cheaper there by a little...

Ditto. Actually, the cheapest I've EVER seen it was in MD, so you might want to check stores along the way if you're traveling through.

Or, if you find yourself around these parts, you can try some for free! :cheers:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Info on 80 Strong

Unread postby 80STRONG » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi. I'm Michael Kanbar, the founder and owner of 80 Strong, the new Kentucky bourbon brand that just hit the market. I received an email from a bourbon drinker who heard about Strong here in the postings and he wanted to know where he could get some. Right now 80 Strong is available in NYC and surrounding areas. We are rolling out in NJ in January and are rolling out in Kentucky December/January. We're talking to distributors in various states who seem very interested so we could be expanding very soon.

We're working on getting a full website up hopefully in the next few weeks.

There is a retailer selling Strong online at http://www.grandwinecellar.com and more are coming online soon.

If you want 80 Strong in your area please let me know, it will help with my talks with distributors and retailers. And if there's anything I can do/answer whatever, feel free to shoot me an email at info@80strong.com

I think this site and the forum are outstanding and this community is great. I welcome and value all your ideas and input, and if there's anything I can do please let me know. You can check out the label at http://www.80strong.com and if you email me I can keep you posted on news, developments, etc.

Thanks.
80STRONG

Unread postby Joeluka » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:02 pm

Thank You Michael for taking the time to help me out here. I will admit that I bought a bottle (for $21.99) and wil be giving it a try very soon. I went to Lenells for the first time yesterday and went nuts with the purchases. I bought a Woddford 4 grain, Pappy 20yr, ORVW 10yr, W L Weller 12yr, Weller Antique 7yr 107 proof Louisville bottling, and a Potrero 18th Century straight rye. So needless to say I've got alot of tasting to do. If you havent been to LeNell's GO RIGHT NOW. What a great place for the whisky lover.
Thanks again for the help.

Joe

Everybody let me know what you think of my purchases by the way.
Joeluka

Hey Joe

Unread postby 80STRONG » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:35 pm

Thank you for buying a bottle to try out. Thats a great lineup you got, you got a lot of great tasting ahead of you! Lemme know what you think of the Strong.
80STRONG

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:54 pm

The Strong is a bit overpriced in my humble opinion for a 4 year old 80 proofer, and while I can appreciate a sexy woman, I guess I'll have to wait until hell freezes over to see a scantily clad man on a bottle of whiskey. I guess marketing folks think only straight men and lesbians are bourbon drinkers. :roll:

Hmmm...maybe that's what I should talk to the Kulsveens about putting on my label. Anybody want to model to be my pinup man? :wink: :wink: How about some stripper shoes to wear?

That being said, I did make it my whiskey pick of the month for a local bar called Pioneer BBQ that puts a bottle on the shelf behind the bar each month with my logo.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Hey TLS

Unread postby 80STRONG » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:34 pm

Pioneer is a cool spot, we were there a week or so ago doing an event and the place and the gang there were all awesome, we had a great time. Thanks for the props, much appreciated!

On the pricing, we are encouraging and suggesting a shelf price a dollar or two lower than Jack, which I think is a pretty good deal. It's complicated between distributors and retailers and their various markups to always get where we'd like, but we're working on it, and they are pretty close mostly, and in some cases right on.

And you bring up some very good marketing points and they are well taken.

Thanks.

PS: we are doing an event tomorrow night at Bar Room on 52nd and 2nd, everyone is invited. 6:30 to midnight.
80STRONG

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:38 pm

I think you have the wrong Pioneer. If you were in Red Hook, I'd be shocked. Pioneer BBQ is right down the street from my shop in Brooklyn. I can't imagine you'd be there and not visit NY's largest bourbon selection, especially if you are tooling around with Renny Alba. Now there's a pinup boy! ha ha

I've got the bottle priced at $22.75, but we have to pay more for it in NYC than the rest of the state.
tlsmothers

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight