How many different bottles do you have and HOW MANY ARE OPEN

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

How many different bottles do you have and HOW MANY ARE OPEN

Unread postby Joeluka » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:26 am

Hello to all,
I tend to think an un-opened bottle of spirit is a true crime. I open and taste every single bottle I have. Thats just me. Please let me know what you all (ya'll) do with your collections and why you do it that way.
Joeluka

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:16 am

All of 'em! Sealed bottles are a crime.

ima thinks he has 32,000 bottles open as of today.

But ima will polish off two or three today, so something like 31K+

:arrow: ima :partyman:
Last edited by bunghole on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunghole

Unread postby kbuzbee » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:48 pm

If it's a regular (like, for me, Kentucky Spirit) I'll have one open and 4-5 tucked away (in case I break my legs or something and can't get to the store!) I also always have a bottle of regular 101, for mixing or whatever.

Other than that I'll usually buy two of anything (not cats and dogs, but nicer stuff) and open one. When it's gone, I'll wait for the mood for that one to hit me and open the second one. It goes back on the shopping list then. Examples of things like that are 1792, Jefferson's Reserve, EC 18yo, ETL, Rare Breed. Any of those may be open at any time but I usually only have 5-6 Bourbons, 2 Scotchs, 2 Irish, 1 rye, 2 rums, 3 tequilas and one gin open at any given time. (sure, it sounds like a lot when you say it like THAT!). There have been a few inital 2 bottle purchases which were not replaced either because they just weren't enough of what I wanted them to be or (more likely) because they aren't available here.

I also have that special Bourbon, tucked away for special occasions. Right now, thanks to a good friend here, that happens to be Wild Turkey Tribute. To me, the perfect Bourbon. I will open a bottle in Sept for our anniversary, have some on her birthday in Oct and finish it on my birthday in Nov. Don't know what I'll use for that when the Tribute runs out.

I don't have anything I classify as 'Will never open' Not really a collector. I enjoy Bourbon for drinking. Some now, some later, some whenever, but all for consumption.

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:14 pm

I collect and I consume. Right now I have over 100 Bourbons. About 25 % are open. I usually have two of everything I like and open one. Eventually, I think, they'll all be open (plus one in the bunker).
Joe :salute:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:52 pm

kbuzbee wrote:I don't have anything I classify as 'Will never open' Not really a collector. I enjoy Bourbon for drinking. Some now, some later, some whenever, but all for consumption.

An excellent summation of our philosophy as well!

Right now, bottles that are "later" (IE, waiting for the right mood or moment):

Tribute
Benchmark SB
Pappy 15
Stitzel-Weller Cabin Still
Sazerac 2001 Rye
Stagg Fall 2005 (I expect this will be open in a few days - we just bought it)

Otherwise, our bar - about 100 bottles - is open. AND, if a bourbon enthusiast drops by and has a hankering, the "later" bourbons become "now" bourbons!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Joeluka » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:46 am

I'm happy to see that an open bottle of whisk(e)y is the best bottle for most of us. I would like to know when the NYer's on this site get together and be there for it. I will be more than happy to share my stash with the right Enthusiasts. There is nothing worse than pouring a great bourbon for a person who doesn't know or care about the dram your giving them.

Joe
Joeluka

Unread postby Mark » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:07 am

We'll be sure to let ya know Joe. I know next spring I'll definitely try and get another bbq set up out here on SI. In the meantime, maybe something small will go down at Bobs house or LeNell will have another bash at the store where we can all meet up.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:15 am

All of my current and future bottles are destined to be opened and enjoyed. Right now, I've got quite a few open...WT Tribute, Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed & Rye; Buffalo Trace (our SB, the SB from the Thoroughbred Shop), Old Rip 10 YO & 15 YO, VW Rye; Ezra Brooks; Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve, the 12 YO Classic, & the 10 YO; Rebel Yell; Fighting Cock; Old Overholt.

The list of unopened bottles is quite long, but they're not for collecting...they're for drinkin'! :)

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby White Lightning » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:04 pm

From what I count in my head 27 open bourbons although that number will drop as several are getting into the contents area that I concentrate on polishing em' off... I'd say well over 70 open containers in total.

No idea how many un-opened bottles.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Chaz7 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:43 pm

Although bourbon is a pretty color, and so nice to look at, and the weight of a full bottle is perfectly balanced, ALL of mine are open! Ok, I bought a bottle of Noah's Mill that I haven't gotten around to, but all 39 bottles of mine are open. Except for duplicates, of course.
Chaz7

Unread postby Mark » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:41 pm

Many of you already know this but I only keep 6-8 bottles open at a time... As I finish one I open another one. Right now I think I have about 8-9 opened. In total I have somewhere near 450 bottles, give or take 50, I dont even know anymore.

My collecting days are gone now so now I buy one or two bottles when something new comes out that I really want and when I need to open a bottle its a short trip under my basement steps and a reach into one of the many many boxes stored under there... Everything that I used to have on display is now stored under there with everything that used to be stored away in my old place.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Whiskme » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:50 am

2 Irish, open
18 single barrel, all open but 1
3 rye, open
27 single malt, all open but 2
1 "melting pot" bourbon mixed, way open
4 sherry
The only unpened bottles I have are duplicates. I'm 59, what would I save anything for!
Whiskme

Unread postby jburlowski » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:37 pm

Currently open:
Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr
Woodford Reserve
Hirsch 16 yr
Old Fiorester Birthday
Buffalo Trace
Stagg (Fall '05)
Blanton's
Beam Black Label (for the bourbon & Coke'rs)
Usually have an Elmer T Lee but that was finsished off last weekend and needs to be replaced.

Also have Jack and Jack Single Barrel open.

All I have in "reseve" are three bottles of Stagg, two of Eagle Rare 17, and one of William Larue Weller. The latter two will be likely open before the end of the holidays.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:30 pm

Just about every bourbon I own is going to be open, unless it's a backup.

Right now, here's my list of open bourbons:

OFBB '02
OFBB S'03
OFBB F'03
AAA 10yo
BT
Elmer T. Lee (opened this backup today to give a 2nd chance)
Four Roses SB
Pappy 15yo
Pappy 20yo
ORVW 15yo
Ridgewood Reserve 1792 (the pre-lawsuit bottle...it's open so I'm finishing it!)
Knob Creek--VA single-barrel version
BT Private 2004 bottling
Booker's
Stagg S'05 KY-only
Stagg S'05 other-states release
EC12
Maker's Mark single-barrel (not a commercial product)
A. H. Hirsch 16yo
Distiller's Masterpiece 18yo Cognac Finish
W.L. Weller 12yo
Blanton's

Really the only bourbons I own that aren't open are ones I can't replace. Those are:

Jacob's Well
Stagg '03
OFBB '04
Van Blankle 12yo
EWSB '94

and finally

OFBB '05 (unopened only because I'm in no hurry to resample)
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby OscarV » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi All,.... I have 68 bottles. 36 unopened. 28 emrty. 4 that are open and am "using".
I am always looking for something I don't have.
I intend to drink them all, but I save some of the best for last.
I have a 20 year old A. H. Hirsh that was bottled in 1994.
I just found it, I think it was on that store's shelf for 11 years.
And I have 3 of the 4 "Antique Collection" from Buffaloe Trace.
The 4th, William Larue Weller, I just bought it over ebay and will get it soon.
My 4 open ones are a mix of good to very good. (no such thing as a bad bourbon). for drinking neat, on the rocks and mixing.
They are Black Maple Hill 16 year old, Old Poque, Maker's Mark, and an Old Crow. Yeah I like Old Crow to.
OscarV

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight