Chocolate, baby!

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Chocolate, baby!

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:19 pm

I can't eat while I'm enjoying whiskey of any kind. Once I have a snack, any subsequent whiskey tastes nasty to me.

The one thing I've found that goes great with Bourbon, and even Scotch, is good dark chocolate. I'm not talking about chocolate flavored sugar, like Hersheys, but the good stuff; ElRay, Valharona, etc. at 70% or higher cocao content. 100% if I'm in a weird mood.

Anyone else keep a plate of chocolate next to the bottle?

"Nothing clears the room of amateurs like 100% cocao and a nice smokey Islay"

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:29 pm

We don't have a premium dark chocolate here, but, indeed, dark chocolate does frequently accompany our bourbon for snacking/tasting. Specifically, dark chocolate chips that are used for baking. We keep them in the freezer and snack on them when the mood strikes,
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Whiskme » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:30 am

Isn't it funny how we try to discover chocolate in all the things that we enjoy? I find, and look for, comparisons in cigars and bourbon. And, I measure the quality of both by the chocolat-i-ness I perceive. If I could only keep it lit, I'd make the switch!
Whiskme

Unread postby jbohan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:16 pm

Check around your area or go online to find Divine Chocolate, it's 70% chocolate mass, and comes in dark, milk, and other varieties. It is also a Fair Trade product.
Last edited by jbohan on Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:08 pm

ima likes Hershey's Special Dark & Negra Modello with a well aged Padron!
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:23 am

I am a long standing chocolate lover too. Can't say that I have tried it with bourbon though.............bet I will when I get some credit built up again in the bourbon bank. I go for the Belgian dark chocolate, momma mia, that is some good stuff.

By the way, even beer can be good with a touch of chocolate. Ever had Bert Grant's Perfect Porter? That has a nice chocolate flavor (derived from chocolate malt......not true chocolate)!

A few years back, when I was amaking beer regularly, a friend and I actually put a few ounces of dark chocolate (Ghirardelli) in the wort. Our chocolate porter turned out to be very good, so good in fact, most of it was consumed at a party we called our 'Pull my Finger Brewhaha'!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Whiskme » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:56 pm

Funny schtick Mike! lol
Whiskme

Unread postby MikeK » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:17 pm

Here's something to try.

Find some good quality 100% cocao.
Pour a glass of light to medium bodied bourbon.

Chew on a small amount of 100% from time to time in order to "reset" your tastebuds to zero. The next sip or 2 of bourbon is 5 times as sweet, rich, and full bodied as normal.

Not for serious tasting of course, but a very tasty treat.

Warning: Trying this with Pappy 15 will probably make your head explode ...

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:35 pm

MikeK wrote:Warning: Trying this with Pappy 15 will probably make your head explode ...

Mike

What a way to go!!
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:28 pm

I finally got around to trying this combination. I was really in the mood for some bourbon tonight and had some rich dark chocolate ready at hand. I tried the chocolate with Pappy 20, with Rowan's Creek, and with Eagle Rare 10 YO (one of the sweetest bourbons to my taste buds).

It was a good combination with all of them, but I believe it went best with the Rowans's Creek. I got a slight buzz going and just sat back and marvelled at how good the bourbon and chocolate combo was.

Another combination with food that I have found works very well is to mix bourbon and maple syrup to your own taste and serve it with smoked salmon.
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:51 am

Mike wrote:Another combination with food that I have found works very well is to mix bourbon and maple syrup to your own taste and serve it with smoked salmon.

That sounds pretty freaky Mike, how did you stumble across that one? Bourbon, Maple syrup, and salmon are among my favorite things, so I will have to try this out!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:51 am

MikeK wrote:That sounds pretty freaky Mike, how did you stumble across that one? Bourbon, Maple syrup, and salmon are among my favorite things, so I will have to try this out!
Mike

My dog Barleycorn came up with this recipe, says it came to him in a dream. Seemed like it would work and so it did.

I first served it at one of my brewing parties, and will again soon, as I have a 'Pull My Finger Brew Ha Ha' scheduled in late February. There will be me and five other male children....... cooking, eating, drinking, brewing, smoking, farting, lying, and pretending to be grown up men.

Ain't it shameful? Me, at 63 years of age still cutting the fool...... I am beyond help.
Mike

Unread postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:12 pm

I to love dark chocolate when I am drinking whiskey. They go great together. Dagoba makes an 87% cacao that is really good if you like it bittersweet.

http://www.dagobachocolate.com/

Scott
Virginia Gentleman

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:48 pm

Mike wrote:Another combination with food that I have found works very well is to mix bourbon and maple syrup to your own taste and serve it with smoked salmon.

Hoping that you didn't make this up just to mess with me, I finally got around to trying it. Pretty good!

Are you coming out to play at the Sampler this month?

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:46 pm

MikeK wrote:Hoping that you didn't make this up just to mess with me, I finally got around to trying it. Pretty good!

Are you coming out to play at the Sampler this month?

Mike

Mike, glad you like my bourbon/maple syrup concoction, but I am deeply offended (and Barleycorn is offended too) that you would think I make anything up. It is and has been my policy not to lie unless it is convenient or fun.

As to my coming to the Sampler, unfortunately the BIG BOSS has inserted other events on my calendar at that time. I hope to make it to a bourbon event sometime.........sure are a lot of BE folks that need to meet me.........er, ah, I mean that I want to meet!

I wish you one and all a grand time at the sampler, sipping bourbon while I will be doing whatever has been placed on my calendar.
Mike

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight