Gillman's challenge

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Gillman's challenge

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Gary Gillman, a gentleman, a very knowledgeable and experienced bourbon drinker, and a man worth knowing (even if at a distance) for many reasons, has thrown down a challenge. He claims by way of a review that Evan Williams Black label, which sells for about $12 hereabouts, is a bourbon that he scores as a 9 out of 10. The current release of EWB has No Age Statement (NAS). Since I have not had this particular bourbon in several years (2008), his review prompted me to try it again. At the time of my review in 2008 I gave it a thumbs up with the caveat that it was a mite rough around the edges.

I decided to try it agin its stable mate EW Single Barrel ($22), a bourbon that always has a home in my liquor closet. Both EW bourbons are 86 proof. To make things a bit more interesting, I included a sip Ezra Brooks 90 proof bourbon ($10) and a sip of Very Old Barton 6 YO 90 proof ($10) for a more full comparison.

I was surprised that there seems to be no edge on the EW Black in the finish. Gary is right about this being an excellent bourbon. It is well balanced, and, like its older sibling, nearly delicate. I still prefer the Single Barrel, especially for only $10 more per bottle, because to me its sweetness is rounder and deeper.

As to the Ezra Brooks, it has that noticeable distraction of a sharp edge in the finish......... the tell tale edge of a too young bourbon. And the VOB has an earthy taste that makes it quite different from the others (the Barton taste), but it too is a bit rough in the finish.

For them as might be inclined to dismiss any bourbon below a certain high proof, I would suggest going into the tasting with a slightly different, but not inferior, set of expectations. Look for a 'softer' experience that can be, and is, completely satisfying in its own right.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Gillman's challenge

Unread postby corpse_welder » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:49 am

I tried EWB a few weeks back after a long absence from it and I was amazed. I have seen it as cheap as $6.99, and it's an absolute steal at that price. I bought the Evan BiB today and am eagerly awaiting my pour tonight
corpse_welder

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 am

Count me a fan of Evan Williams Black Label. Here in NE PA it's about $12.00/bottle. One heck of a buy if you ask me.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Yes, it is a good one for the price.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:58 pm

looks like the mods have some work to do..........
393foureyedfox

Unread postby jaycamm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:19 am

This is a great reminder to all of us that there is good bourbon to be had at any price point.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby Squire » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Evan Williams black label is the most consistent in quality of any of the value priced brands out there.
Squire

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Mike thanks for essaying that comparison (and your kind comments); your findings are very interesting. Frankly I'd agree with them "at a distance" based on my recollection of the palate of the whiskeys you mentioned. I was kind of hoping though, when I had read part way through the post, that you would do the tasting blind! Still, most instructive.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Gary, it would have been a good idea to do the tasting blind. It did occur to me later that it is likely that I would find the EW Black better on many occasions.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Agalloch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 pm

With all this talk about Evan Williams Black Label I'd like to see how it compares to 1783. Having tried neither of them I'm very curious.
Agalloch

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 am

One of the appealing traits is its sweetness and roundness, which you noted. I remember this bourbon when it was seven years old and feel it was even better then, but it is still an excellent whiskey and the price is attractive.

Gray
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Squire » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Traditionally the 1783 was an older, fuller, richer dram but now the age statement has been dropped and with some other changes the difference between 1783 and Evan Williams is so little I would buy which ever one was on sale.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight