Home Aging Exparaments

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Home Aging Exparaments

Unread postby Elijah » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Hello!
I'm currently aging some white dog in a 2L med+char new oak cask and planning on doing some finishing experiments within the next year.
Planning on aging Port, Sherry, Maderia, Rum, and Brandy in new oak casks to impart their flavor(may do some other stuff to impart their flavor faster don't know yet) but I was wondering If people had an opinion on a good high proof(preferably 100+) young aged whiskey that is reasonably priced to play with longer aging.

Let me know your opinions! :D
After I have a few I'll go out and get them to compare.

Best,
Elijah
Elijah

Re: Home Aging Exparaments

Unread postby corpse_welder » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:23 am

Buffalo Trace White Dog sounds perfect
corpse_welder

Unread postby jaycamm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:42 am

Trybox by HH.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby Elijah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:09 am

Hi Everyone, these were my notes from my first evaluation that I copied over into a word doc.

Evaluation 1 (3 weeks, 1 day)
Color: light reposed tequila, or hay, fast moving thin legs

Aroma: mello corn, developing notes of spice, very feint oak tannins
(with water): more wood, slight developments of caramel

Taste: mild oak, sweet corn, slightly sour finish (meyer lemon, key lime, or finger lime maybe [sour but not to sour])
(with water): the beginning softened, however the finish got much more punchy with corn and the same sour taste, then vanished much more quickly.

Mouth-feel: soft (especially for 125proof) with a pleasant warming burn going down the back of the palate.
(with water):as noted above much more abrupt punchy finish that disappears as fast as it came.

Overall: I felt that there was an obvious and sup rising change over the first 3 weeks especially in the mouthfeel (much softer then the whitedog) and in the color of the new whiskey. It is definitely not going to be ready for a while, as there is little to no sign of vanillin or tannin development.

Notes for other geeks who care about the details:
One Quarter rotation of the barrel every 1-2 days.
Temperature where it is being kept seems to be steadily between 62-66 degrees F.
Barrel was completely full on fill and has already lost what seems to be 1/8-1/16 of its volume.
No information on daily average Humidity.
Location, Oakland, CA
Elijah

Unread postby VaderTime » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:20 am

What about just adding burnt charcoal staves/sticks to 750 bottles? How long would it take to interact?

I could see there being an interesting industry of someone selling properly cut square vacuum sealed charcoal staves for home aging.
VaderTime

Unread postby loopline » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 pm

VaderTime wrote:What about just adding burnt charcoal staves/sticks to 750 bottles? How long would it take to interact?

I could see there being an interesting industry of someone selling properly cut square vacuum sealed charcoal staves for home aging.

30 mins to a couple of days. So says Ralphy anyway, I haven't tried it, but I want to. Specifically he was speaking of Scotch, but Bourbon is "built" using similar enough principals it should work. In the video below he has a couple other tips. This is an old one, but if you search the channel for the word

improve

you will find newer ones with more suggestions.

http://youtu.be/bN-1mNqCLpc
loopline

Return to Bourbon, Straight