Trying to like Bourbon neat.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Trying to like Bourbon neat.

Unread postby Thig » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:17 pm

This probably should be in a beginners forum somewhere. I am fairly new to Bourbon and I am trying to get to the point I actually enjoy it neat or on ice. I have tried Makers Mark, Larceny and Eagle Rare 10yr. I can tolerate all of them but I want to enjoy them. I think back to when I started drinking beer about 40 years ago and I threw out at least a 6 pack before I could drink the whole beer, couldn't stand it.

I feel like I am"copping" out if I just give up and mix it with 7up or whatever. Is it really an acquired taste if I just stick with it. My coworker says you have to be an alcoholic to actually enjoy the taste. Rediculous, I don't believe it for a second.

I have read Mike's stickies on drinking Bourbon. Any other ideas? How long did it take some of you to actually enjoy the taste?
Thig

Re: Trying to like Bourbon neat.

Unread postby Wasatch » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 pm

I believe it is an acquired taste, just like beer, wine, and other spirits. Just have to keep trying, just sip it. I usually put the cheaper bourbons mixed with coke and ice. The higher priced I really enjoy neat, but sometimes also mix with coke and ice. To me some are just to hot/oaky to really enjoy neat, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve Doubled Oak are two that come to mind.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby jneyer05 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I remember my first bourbon neat was Makers and it was tough for me to get down. I moved to drinking Manhattans and Old Fashions with Makers and really enjoyed them. I would then drink Makers with cherry juice on ice. Now I enjoy bourbon straight. This was all over a 1-2 year period. I believe tastes change and can adjust. Also I agree it just isn't for everyone (ask my wife).

The most important thing is find something you like and enjoy it (even if it is not bourbon.....blasphemy I know)
jneyer05

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:24 pm

The easiest drinking bourbon I can think of is Evan Williams Single Barrel. It's also an exceptional bourbon if you ask me. You might want to give it a try. As Wasatch said, small sips are the key. Very small whistle wetter's if needed. Adding a little water would also be a way to reduce the burn a little. Since adding water can have quite an effect on the taste, add it slowly and in very small amounts, trying it after each addition. Ice is a good one too, letting it sit in the bourbon a while if needed.

Take it slow and enjoy the journey,
Mr. G
RandyG

Unread postby thomas15 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:29 pm

It took me a couple of weeks, two or three before I started to really enjoy it. Sip a shot glass worth over a 30-40 minute time frame. Others will give advice on a good brew for beginners and so will I, my recommendation is Bernheims Wheat Whiskey. If not maybe Jim Beam Rye.

Main thing is just hang in there and drink only as much as you enjoy.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:57 am

thomas15 wrote: Sip a shot glass worth over a 30-40 minute time frame. Main thing is just hang in there and drink only as much as you enjoy.

well said. I first got into it trying to calm some nerves. I never had really liked alcohol, even beer (especially beer), so I just downed it to get it over with, but never enjoyed it.

Now, I get maybe a half to one ounce and slowly sip on it, for a good half hour at least. Try taking a 1/2tsp or so in your mouth, and slowly moving it around for 10-15 seconds, then swallow. You get to pick up on all the flavors that way, and get to truly enjoy it. The other key is finding styles you like. Each distillery has its own house profile; many distilleries have different recipes, at different ages, aged at different areas, and bottled at different proofs. Try lots of stuff. You'll likely find patterns you find enjoyable....maybe you like high rye recipes/high wheat recipes/high proof or low proof/young or old in age/etc. Then just follow a progression in the style you like.

To me, neat is the way to go. I like most of my beverages room temp, and I'm not much of an ice fan in any beverage, so I naturally like my stuff neat.

Enjoy!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby corpse_welder » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 am

This may seem like sacrilege but I believe the best way to get started is avoid the "good" bourbon. Stick with the mass-produced brands like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, or even venture out a bit to some Jameson. They are made specifically for people uninitiated to whiskey with simpler palates. Most likely you will eventually try better whiskies and not look back at these but for now it's good to have a solid baseline.
corpse_welder

Unread postby Squire » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 am

Human beings don't like the taste of alcohol, particularly in a highly concentrated form such as whisky. Ignore the peer pressure of a whisky board and mix it any way you like. More than one Master Distiller has admitted they mix their Bourbon with Sprite, 7up or ginger ale when out of the public eye.
Squire

Unread postby PollardsVision » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:15 am

I went bourbon, a few ice cubes, and a splash of ginger.
Removed the ginger, then the ice cubes, one by one. Each step took about a week, I believe.
Eventually, I noticed I enjoyed each pour more before the ice melted.

I think really small pours help a lot. (still do small pours, by the way, but it's because I like a lot of variety).

Among the things I like about drinking neat is that, when I do drink, I end up drinking far less. When mixing bourbon, it's awfully easy to put a huge dent in the bottle in no time.

As mentioned, Evan Williams Single Barrel is a nice choice. Though, I wouldn't say it really matters much. I wouldn't get anything terribly expensive or high proof, but most bourbons are pretty good. I haven't encountered a Straight Bourbon that wasn't suitable for drinking neat.
PollardsVision

Unread postby Spitfire » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Perhaps I am displaying my lack of experience, but I have found that cask strength (barrel proof?--whatever Bourbon people call it) whisky is actually better to drink neat. I find the flavours are more vivid, and the "burn" isn't necessarily any worse. (Mind you, I'm sipping, not gulping...)
Spitfire

Unread postby thomas15 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:07 pm

Spitfire wrote:Perhaps I am displaying my lack of experience, but I have found that cask strength (barrel proof?--whatever Bourbon people call it) whisky is actually better to drink neat. I find the flavours are more vivid, and the "burn" isn't necessarily any worse. (Mind you, I'm sipping, not gulping...)

I would agree with this. Beginning the Bourbon journey is almost like learning how to ski. It takes time and money. For some skiers, it takes more time and money than others.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby Thig » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks for your help, the last couple of days have been better. Small pours, very small sips. I opened a Wathen's Single Barrel today to make some Bourbon BBQ sauce and had a small pour, nice.
Thig

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:41 pm

I generally prefer barrel proof/high proof myself as well. My favorites range from 100 to 125, but, as I said before....just sip on them. 9o proof is okay, sometimes. 80 proof wont even come in my house....theyre just so watered down.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby CWelch » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:29 pm

I expect you might not be used to enjoying high-strength spirits, so I would suggest that you mix your bourbon with an equal amount of a good bottled water and add a small ice cube. With most standard bourbons, this will get you to somewhere around 20% abv. You will still be able to taste most of the flavors in the bourbon (though they will be muted), but the alcohol burn will be gone. Don't worry if some folks frown on on adding so much water to your bourbon. The goal is to find a sweetspot at which you can learn to enjoy the flavors coming through without being turned off by the alcohol burn. If you stick with it, I think you will find over time that you will be adding less and less water to get to your desired taste.
CWelch

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:08 pm

I suggest mixing it at first. I use to like bourbon and 7 or coke. Later I moved to bourbon old fashioned which is great. A bit of sugar and bitter can help out a lot. There is no wrong way to enjyoy bourbon.
Birdo

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight