Rip Van Winkle Question

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Rip Van Winkle Question

Unread postby prunyon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum. I am just starting to learn about Bourbon. My father-in-law has slowly introduced me into this amazing world lol. He loves Rip Van Winkle, which as you know is impossible to find right now. I have not had the priviledge of tasting it yet. So, two questions for ya. Does someone know where I can get a bottle of the 10yr or 12yr old Rip Van Winkle? I have had no luck at all. Or can someone point me in the direction of a Bourbon with similar taste profile? Thanks!

Paul
prunyon

Re: Rip Van Winkle Question

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm

I think Wild Turkey Rare Breed is very similar to Pappy Van Winkle 15YO in "character" and somewhat reminiscent in "taste". Jefferson Presidential Select 17 or 18YO are very, very similar to Pappy Van Winkle 20YO if you ask me but it can be tricky to find as well. Old Weller 12YO has some similarities to the 10/12 YO Old Rip Van Winkles if memory serves me, but it's been a while since I had the Weller.

Maybe not exactly a match for the Pappy Van Winkle's, but I think superior to the Old Rip Van Winkle offerings are:

Blantons Single Barrel
Rock Hill Farm Single Barrel
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

Just my $0.02

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:23 pm

theres a thread today in another forum about this. A guy did a side by side out of curiousity to see if ORVW 10/107 was basically the same thing as Old Weller Antique 107, since theyre from the same distillery. His results were that theyre close enough, but not exactly the same. He wasnt sure hed be able to pick one from the other blindly, unless it was the older ORVW 107. but, thats just one mans opinion.

since you cant find anything Van Winkle these days, you might as well try OWA 107....its cheap enough and everywhere.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Skope » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Rip Van Winkle is a Wheated bourbon, so you can toss anything with rye out the window.

You can get the Weller Antique, it's good, but it's not the same as ORVW, and I believe anybody would be able to pick the VW out anytime, its just far superior.

I was luck enough to get 3 bottles of this last week, that all I could afford

In Michigan the 15 was $300 & 23 was $500

The hype is well deserved
Skope

Unread postby prunyon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks guys!
prunyon

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Skope wrote:the 15 was $300 & 23 was $500

really? at $300 it is worth it?

I'll never know, however, because Im not playing that game
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:53 am

393foureyedfox wrote:
Skope wrote:
really? at $300 it is worth it?

I'll never know, however, because Im not playing that game

Then you'll never know.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 am

If that store got the Pappy's from a distributor, and marked them up to those prices, I'm sure the Van Winkles would like to know. Might be the last time they get any. If they bought them from a store, who bought them from another store ...., well that's another story.

As far as the bourbon goes, I think the Pappy 15YO is worth every bit of it's [normal] asking price. The 20 & 23 are probably priced correct for their age but I think the 15 is better (confession - I have never had the 23) so I doubt I will ever get a 20 (and almost certainly will never get a 23). I would however, buy up every 15 that I could get my hands on [again, at normal price]. Both the 2011 and 2012's are THE best whiskey I have ever tasted. Every once in a while another bourbon comes along (BTAC Stagg, BTAC Weller, Jefferson Pres., 4 Roses Ltd., etc.) that I think might be better, but over time I come to the conclusion that the Pappy 15 is still my favorite. If all I had in my cabinet was Pappy 15 and Rare Breed, I would be quite content. Fortunately though, this is not the case :mrgreen:

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Skope » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:48 pm

I am sure the store got there stock from the supplier, while I don't like the prices, I am not forced to pay them.
They currently have 5 different private barrels, thats a lot of $$$ to put out to maintain a top notch selection.

I chose not to pay 300 for a bottle of 15, but maybe next year.
Is 300 overpriced... Yes, but I want one. I work hard.. 60 hours a week
I'll make that bottle last a few years,

I was able to get 3 bottles of ORVW
Paid 50/100/130

While I was very happy to only pay 50 for one. I was ok with paying 130 for the other.
It is by far the best bourbon I have.
Skope

Unread postby pierceography » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Skope wrote:Rip Van Winkle is a Wheated bourbon, so you can toss anything with rye out the window.

You can get the Weller Antique, it's good, but it's not the same as ORVW, and I believe anybody would be able to pick the VW out anytime, its just far superior.

I was luck enough to get 3 bottles of this last week, that all I could afford

In Michigan the 15 was $300 & 23 was $500

Where in Michigan did you get your bottles at? I'm in the Detroit area and paid more than $300 for a 15. I wasn't happy about it, but given how hard they are to find I had no other choice.

I wasn't able to get my hands on a 20yr, and would really love to get one if anyone in the area has one to sell or knows of any (ha).

Thanks!
pierceography

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Skope wrote:In Michigan the 15 was $300 & 23 was $500

Those prices are outragous. I would pay the normal price for the 15, when it becomes available again. Because of the very very limited supply this year because of the theft. Maybe next year will be better availibility.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby JLH3 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:44 pm

I just got a bottle of Lot B for $55. They had one of the 20's for around $140. Glad I have one unopened.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Squire » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:51 pm

RandyG wrote:If that store got the Pappy's from a distributor, and marked them up to those prices, I'm sure the Van Winkles would like to know. Might be the last time they get any.

Those decisions are made by Buffalo Trace, the Van Winkles have no say in the matter.
Squire

Unread postby Mwhite » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:36 am

I have 3 bottles of 12 year and a 23. Im not much of a bourbon drinker so maybe I could part with a 12.
Mwhite

Return to Bourbon, Straight