new to bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

new to bourbon

Unread postby Jonny D » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:19 am

i really don't have a opinion on what brand drinks the best i'm new.....but i'm here to learn
let's start with how i ended up with a bottle of bourbon,Beer now there is something i know a little about i've always enjoyed a few after work but as i get older sleeping all night seems harder and getting up to use the restroom really throws a wrench in things
so i said no more beer.....but boy its nice to relax after work with a drink so i find myself at the liquor store with a dumb look on my face(never bought anything other than beer/wine) so i see Jim Beam i know that name give me that i said.after i figured out that mixing it with coke/pepsi made an awful yucky tasting drink but on the rocks.....now i'm on to something i really like it on the rocks.so i have finished that bottle and figured well i'll try a different brand so i come home with Evan Williams black label even better!!!!!now i cant afford the $60 a pint stuff(i work for a living) but recommend me a brand to try next and in the mean time i'm going to do more research on here
Jonny D

Re: new to bourbon

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Welcome to the club! As you have probably noticed there are many bourbon reviews on this site.

Here is a cost comparison between Beer and Bourbon in my area (NE PA) using the actual amount of alcohol per volume consumed to determing the cost.

Yuengling Lager costs about $19.00 per case of 24 so each beer cost 79 cents

Evan Williams Black Label costs $12.50 per 750 mL so a shot glass (1.5 oz.) costs 81 cents
A good mid range Bourbon such as Buffalo Trace costs $25.00 per 750 mL so a shot glass costs $1.60

On average, a regular beer such as Yuengling Lager, a 12 oz glass contains about .54 oz of alcohol (assuming the beer is 4.5 abv). Compare that to the Evan Williams 86 proof which a 1.5 oz serving contains .645 oz of alcohol and Buffalo Trace 90 proof a shot contains .675 oz of alcohol.

So, what does all of this mean? If you drink your bourbon neat or on the rocks, Evan Williams will cost 3 cents more (per serving) than a beer but you get slightly more alcohol per serving so between the two, the bourbon is a better value assuming that you don't drink to intoxication every day. For me personally 1.5 oz of Bourbon is enough and if I were to drink two servings in a 1 or 2 hour time frame then it's the end of anything productive for the rest of the day and maybe the next.

If you drink Buffalo Trace then it will cost more obviously but a larger shot of say 2 oz (.9 oz alcohol) will cost less than two beers when you do a cost analysis. So if you drink 2 beers/day, switching to a mid shelf Bourbon really shouldn't a cost concern assuming moderation with respect to the amount of alcohol you want in your system.

Then there are good bourbons such as Wild Turkey 100 proof that cost less than BT, about $22.00/bottle, so my point is that drinking decient bourbon has a cost compatable to beer and you are not visiting the RR all night long. I also personally want to cut down on the carbs so I'm not drinking a whole lot of beer these days but beer still has it's place; when you are splitting logs or are cleaning out the garage.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:05 pm

as far as recommendations, a lot of that is going to depend on where you live, as availability varies greatly from state to state.

I can understand your confusion. When I first got into this, maybe a year ago, all I knew were some of the basic names. Jim Beam, Heaven Hill, Wild Turkey, etc. Your best bet is to just try various bourbons, or whiskies, and see which ones appeal more than others, then research them on here or elsewhere, to figure out what it is about them that grabs you. For example, maybe you prefer the 'wheater' taste (more wheat than corn in the recipe), or the ryes (more rye than the standard recipe, or all rye), etc. when you figure that out, you can kind of just figure out which ones are similar recipes and experiment in that range. So, for example, lets say you figure out you like regular-recipe bourbons (the majority of them out there).....then you get to experiment and find what proof ranges you like (80 up to about 150 in rare cases), as well as age ranges (if its bourbons, it can be from 4 years until whatever.....younger ones tend to be 'harsher', while old ones tend to be 'woody'). Likely though, youll figure out a recipe style you like, and play around in that range in the cheaper categories....dont follow the sheep mentality and chase down what everyone else calls the 'best'....everyone is different. I came into this having practically zero experience with alcohol at all, yet surprised everyone that i tend to prefer regular recipes and high rye (but not straight ryes) bourbon, but that I preferred things in the 120 proof range. Most people tend to like the typical 80-100 proof stuff.
Plus, every distillery has its own distinctive taste. Some people pick up on that, others dont. For example, a lot of people on here will talk about the Jim Beam funk taste, or a HH eucalyptus/minty taste.....dont dismiss JB/HH just because you read this; you may not even notice it, or that 'funk'/mintiness' may be an appealing attribute to you.Try examples from each one. Youve already noticed that you thought Evan Williams was better than Jim Beam....EW is a Heaven Hill brand, so maybe try other HH stuff. If youre in areas that offer it, HH puts out a variety of stuff at prices far better than everyone else. But, dont rule Beam out because of that either. I dont like Jim Beam bourbon itself, but I love the upper level stuff FROM Beam, like 120 proof Knob Creek, 114 proof Old Grand Dad, and 125-130 proof Booker's.

Theres a LOT to learn, but for now, start with various cheaper stuff from different brands, and work your way through them. Youll quickly learn what stuff you like, as far as recipes, age, proof, and price.

Its not surprising you like Evan Williams, its one of the two best selling bourbons available. Its one of my friends' favorites, but does nothing for me...its proof is too low at 86. They do offer it in a white label 100 proof if youd like it with a bit more punch, and that one I dont mind.

Try some of the cheaper offerings such as these (that do offer upper level stuff should you decide that that style suits your tastes) to get a baseline:

Very Old Barton, available in 80, 90, and 100 proof.
Evan Williams, as 80, 86, and 100 proof (Heaven Hill is pretty much identical stuff at the same basic proofs)
Jim Beam white, or black
Ood Forester in 86 or 100 proof
Buffalo Trace in 90 proof
Four Roses in 80 or various 100 proofs
Wild Turkey 81 or 101
Makers Mark in 86 or 90 ( i think )

those are entry levels of several prominent distilleries. have fun!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Check these out:

Buffalo Trace
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Bulleit Frontier
Maker's Mark
Old Foresters Signature
Four Roses Small Batch
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 pm

A tip of the glass to both thomas15 and to 'fox for their excellent comments. And, for sharing their own learning experience, both similar to, and different from, my own experiences.

Thomas15 correctly points out that if you drink in moderation, drinking bourbon is cost effective vis-à-vis beer. I used to make beer, and still drink it occasionally, but now find it too filling (tastes great, but not less filling).

And 'fox hits the nail squarely on the head in saying that it is good to 'establish a baseline', especially if it is your intent to explore the variety that is bourbon. And he is certainly correct in saying that you have to find you own way through to what your own palate prefers.

A small correction in something 'fox said. A 'wheat' bourbon does not contain more wheat than corn, ALL bourbon must be at least 51% corn, and then can usually contain either wheat or rye (and, occasionally both) along with a small amount of barley to provide some fermentation enzymes (which can also be added artificially).

There is a wheat only whiskey (Bernheim) that is excellent and very distinctly soft. Unfortunately it sells for about $40 and may not be something one new to bourbon would want to purchase.
Last edited by Mike on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:13 pm

These would be some reasonably priced starter bourbons:

Evan Williams White label and Single Barrel
Wild Turkey 80 and 101
Elijah Craig 12YO
Old Weller 12YO
Four Roses
Buffalo Trace
Elmer T. Lee

RG
RandyG

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Mike wrote:
A small correction in something 'fox said. A 'wheat' bourbon does not contain more wheat than corn, ALL bourbon must be at least 51% corn, and then can usually contains either wheat or rye (and, occasionally both) along with a small amount of barley to provide some fermentation enzymes (which can also be added artificially).

There is a wheat only whiskey (Bernheim) that is excellent and very distinctly soft. Unfortunately it sells for about $40 and may not be something one new to bourbon would want to purchase.

absolutely correct....brain fart got me again!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby PollardsVision » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Welcome Johnny.
Agree with everything here about the rec's and reasons why bourbon makes a great alternative to beer. So much great, affordable bourbon out there, I think you can (and should) just grab whatever you can afford and see what you like.

I don't have the money to even explore the over $30 market, and I've still never had a bottle of anything labeled "straight bourbon" that I truly didn't like (Jack and Old Overholt are the only American whiskey's I don't like so far). For the most part, it's all pretty good. Just some you'll find you enjoy more than others. Even bottles you don't like at first, I've almost always found I grew to appreciate by the end of it.

So, definitely don't be afraid try some different bourbons and see what you like. They're all good and many are very inexpensive. Knowing you like EW Black (and I can understand that because it's fantastic) is a great thing. It's not a huge investment to always keep a bottle on hand (though, like others, I prefer EW White for essentially the same price).

The only specific recommendation I'd make is to just try to avoid most 80-proof bourbons. I'm, for the most part, fundamentally opposed to 80-proof whiskey, don't want to encourage distillers to make more of it, and in my experience, I'm almost always disappointed by them (though Four Roses Yellow Label's not bad).
PollardsVision

Unread postby Jonny D » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 am

Once this bottle of EW black label is finished off I'm thinking try Wild Turkey or the EW white label. Thank you guys for the great advise
Jonny D

Unread postby PollardsVision » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:31 am

Both outstanding choices.

I just started appreciating bourbon in it's pure form a few years ago and I remember being hesitant about Wild Turkey based on it's reputation (and I really hate that stupid "give'em the bird" marketing campaign which really does the brand no justice).

Turkey is simply outstanding though, and to me, is every thing bourbon should be.

I treat this $23 bourbon like it's some special, rare 20 year old single barrel. I'd never actually tell guests how to drink what they like, but if I've got guests coming over that I know will drown whatever I put out in coke, I don't put out my Turkey. I know that's probably a little ridiculous though.
PollardsVision

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:00 am

you dont mention where you live....is Heaven Hill on the shelves where you are? If so, I highly recommend grabbing the gold labeled 100 proof BIB (bottled in bond) or the white 100 proof BIB that is 6 years old. theyre about $10 and $11 here, respectively, and are about the best youll find among the cheap price range. I know several experienced people who routinely have that as their go to anyway. You'll have a hard time distinguishing those two from the EW white label. same company, different labels, different ages, same proof, slight differing costs.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Duewester » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Welcome Jonny D.

I got tuned in to Ancient Ancient Age by bourbonv and I think it is an excellent low cost drink. It has a 10 in the lable and I think it means 10 Star, not ten years. Anyway, it's an excellent inexpensive drink and probably available in the larger stores. I live in a relative bourbon wasteland on upstate SC and I can find it so you should be able to find it in a moderately sized urban area.

The key to bourbon, buy lots, try lots. But, drink responsibly.
Duewester

Unread postby GaryV » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:12 pm

[quote="Duewester"]Welcome Jonny D. I got tuned in to Ancient Ancient Age by bourbonv and I think it is an excellent low cost drink. It has a 10 in the lable and I think it means 10 Star, not ten years.[/quote

There are both 10 year and 10 Star versions of Ancient Ancient Age. The bottles are practically identical, but the front label spells out clearly which is which. I'm a big fan of the 10 year but unfortunately it isn't widely available. I had to make sure and pickup another 1.75L while in KY for the KBF since I can't buy it in Illinois
GaryV

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:17 am

AAA 10 year is practically gone. Theyve announced shortages over the summer and I think they stopped bottling 750's and only do 1.75's, but even those have been gone for months. Ive never tried it, just because its 86 proof, but i know its popular. I havent seen any in months, other than one small store where they have a few thatve been around forever.
393foureyedfox

Return to Bourbon, Straight