What foolish soul?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

What foolish soul?

Unread postby Mike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm

What foolish soul would equate sipping bourbon to a wider exploration of what it means to be a human being. Well, foolishly, I would.

I can claim little in the way of wisdom for myself, mostly because I have none. Nor can I claim an exquisite palate for bourbon, or indeed for any other gustatory experience.

What I might legitimately claim is a kind of curiosity. Curiosity that can quickly be dismissed as either unimportant, or worse, perverse, depending upon one's point of view.

Still, I claim it.

As I write, I sip a unique bourbon, the 10 year old Ancient Age. It strikes my palate as unique, containing elements that I find very hard to describe that set it somewhat apart. I am not the only one to find this particular bourbon exceptional. our own bunghole always found favor with it. And, he knows a lot about bourbon.

What a jump, from bourbon to human character, huh?

What I would like to know (in all honesty) is how anyone who loves bourbon, and loves life, could find room to separate them.

Bourbon, like life, offers great risks, neither is there to be conquered, in fact cannot be conquered. They lie in wait to be revealed, not to be owned, much less to be conquered. Leaving bourbon alone may be wise when it is your enemy, but it is not to be conquered. Life cannot be conquered, nor left alone, nor is it to be accommodated. It is merely to be lived.

Bourbon is to be tasted, like life, in its great variety, and managed.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: What foolish soul?

Unread postby JLH3 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:11 am

So many bourbons. So many subtle and simple differences. It takes time and patience to find what suits you. And what suits you may change from time to time and depending on the moment. Except for that one bottle or two that fits your every mood and occasion. And the journey and fun is finding that bottle.

Much like life

Don't know why, but this quote by Edward Abbey seems like it should be mentioned:

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am — a reluctant enthusiast... a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Wasatch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Might have to pick up some Ancient Age.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby barneshoward » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:17 am

Thanks for the nice sharing,i have never know about it.
Last edited by barneshoward on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
barneshoward

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 pm

It is not about living apart from reality or ignoring your troubles. It's not about going back on your promises or your responsibilities. And it's not about pretending you are what you are not. Rather it's reflecting on your accomplishments, your dreams, your goals and your accomplishments. It is all about making the complex simple and the simple meaningful.
Amen?
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Return to Bourbon, Straight