Stagg Jr. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Stagg Jr. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Unread postby gauze » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:32 pm

anyone tried this stuff yet? I just saw it on facebook today from semi-local liquor store. apparently same mashbill but 8-9 years old, still barrel strength, $50 for a 750 or so. (of course no stitzel juice ...)
gauze

Re: Stagg Jr. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Unread postby Bob Barker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 am

I havent tried it and i dont mean to be a buzzkill but a lot of the reviews i have read have been mediocre :(
Bob Barker

Unread postby gman58 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 am

I found it (and found out about it) by accident; saw a few bottles in a liquor store here in Ohio. I bought a bottle and by the next week they were all gone. Later the clerk said they won't get any more.

I tried it with a little water (remember it's barrel strength) and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to keep this on the shelf for special occasions (in part due to the price and scarcity). I noticed a lot of oak and also some cherry flavor in the background.

Glad I saw this post, I was going to post and ask what anyone knew about this stuff.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby jneyer05 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:00 pm

I also have tried it and enjoyed it very much. Definitely have it with a bit of water. I think most of the reviews for it that I have seen try to compare it to GTS. You won't enjoy it if you do. George T Stagg is better but they are much different to me. Think of it as its own.
jneyer05

Unread postby GaryV » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:23 pm

I like it quite a bit....as long as I bring it down to around 110 proof. To me it needs water to knock off some harshness and bring out all the flavors. Not as good as GTS, but definitely worth the $45.
GaryV

Unread postby vince » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:51 am

It needs some water but I liked it very much. As a previous post mentions if you are going to compare it to George t stagg you will be disappointed. I look at this bourbon as a barrel strength eagle rare. I think if you go in with that mindset you will really enjoy it

Cheers!
vince

Unread postby Squire » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:30 pm

$45.00 is a good price for well made, fully mature barrel proof Bourbon. You can pay a good deal more than that for a youngish bulk whisky in a fancy bottle. Plus the high proof means you are getting the equivalent of a liter of 100 proof goods.
Squire

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:37 am

We had a tasting at our house last Friday (day after Turkey Day...)

I supplied a good sampling of stuff

Woodford Reserve
Woodford Double Oaked
EH Taylor Small Batch
EH Taylor barrel proof
Four Roses single barrel OESK
Four Roses 125th
Town Branch
Willett Reserve
Basil Hayden
Angels Envy

My neighbor brought over a bottle of Stagg Jr.

Upon sampling all of these...even the EH Taylor Barrel Proof which is 135 proof...the Stagg Jr. was the only one to have to "force" down...

We tried adding ice and letting it dilute...it was still a chore for us to choke down...

Our palates were NOT conducive to Stagg Jr...we were unanimous in our non-like for it...even after hitting two higher proof bourbons (135 and 121) as well as a couple of 100 proofers and a 94+...

The EH Taylor Barrel Proof was much smoother even at 135 proof whereas the Stagg Jr at 134 proof was just downright harsh for us...YRMV...

BTW...the HANDS DOWN winner in taste of all of these was the Four Roses 125th followed by a LARGE gap to the EH Taylor Small Batch...followed closely by the AE...at least for the group at my house...

Unopened and on tap for next tasting are AE Cask Strength, WL Weller 12 yr, Bakers and Pappy 20yr...

Friends are bringing Bookers and Knob Creek and 3 to be named still...

Joe.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:39 am

crappie_fisherman wrote:Friends are bringing Bookers and Knob Creek and 3 to be named still...

Joe.

put the single barrel Knob Creek in the lineup (120 proof), and the Booker's (about 125 proof). those are both really good!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby DrBob » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I bought a bottle in Houston on a business trip a couple of months ago. Sipped it in the hotel, and drove back the next day for two more bottles. It is definitely hot, I like to drop a single 1 inch inch ice cub into mine. I think its exceptional that way.
DrBob

Unread postby Squire » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:37 pm

I remember some heat in this one as well but nothing that couldn't be managed.
Squire

Unread postby Mike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:03 pm

I venture into territory where I should not. The SR(?) Stagg bourbons were appealing to me for their incredible rich barrel flavors, which could tolerate a good deal of dilution (I sip a Stagg SR(?) reduced to 105 proof as I write). On some of the releases the tannins were borderline objectionable, but being one who has a love of older bourbons, it was not a problem for me. I have seen none of the Stagg Jr bourbon in Savannah, but based on the comparative reviews I have seen, I will not special order any. From this distance, it seems to be something hatched in the offices of the accountants...... a gimmick. I may very well be wrong about that, if Squire says it is worth the price then his opinion is one that carries a lot of weight. He is very knowledgeable about bourbon and so is Vince, who also liked it.

My desire to try everything new is limited by its availability here in Savannah...... and by experience, which finds very few new bourbons worth the expense or the effort..... Woodford Reserve Double Oaked being a recent notable exception.... it is, to my palate, a bourbon unto itself, extraordinarily complex. My bottle runneth under and I will buy another WRDO.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Vatted86 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:09 am

Worth every penny. I've had two bottles over the last few months. I had the chance to purchase five and and now am kicking myself in the ass for not doing so.This is a dense bourbon with complexity at the higher echelon of spirits. I consider it just as good as any BTAC while being a little more affordable. This bourbon gains
Weight with time open. First night I was somewhat disappointed. Two weeks later :)
Vatted86

Unread postby Bob Barker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I have to be honest I was disappointed. I would much rather choose bookers for the comparable price.
Bob Barker

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:16 am

can't go wrong with Booker's! Got one for X-mas!

What else can you walk into nearly any liquor store at any time and pick up, that is age stated, barrel proof, and mid $40's...AND is damn good?
393foureyedfox

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight