Changing flavor profile

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Changing flavor profile

Unread postby RaksAbijah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:50 pm

In your opinion, how does bottle volume (or lack thereof) and time affect whisky? I'm talking about open bottles here....Do some benefit from some extended shelf time? I realize that this would be a subjective quality as the evolution of flavor may or may not be to your liking.....Just curious - I've heard this topic tickled a little bit, but nothing in depth.

Please - No abbreviations. I know you can spell it out for me.

Abijah
RaksAbijah

Re: Changing flavor profile

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:14 am

When they get less than half full, I try to get them finished in short order. I think too much air can change the flavor, but I have no evidence to support my opinion.

An employee at a distiller who represented himself as an expert said you shoul finish a bottle within a year of opening it if it has a cork or synthetic cork. Screw tops seal better and can go longer. Not a problem, an open bottle doesn't last more than 2-3 months at my house unless I hate it.

I'll also tell you I am not the most discerning consumer of bourbon, I pretty much like what I like, and it drinks. Most of my bourbon comes with screw caps. Think of a 750ml bottle of whiskey as nothing more than a 12 pack of beer, it's for drinking, not saving.
Birdo

Re: Changing flavor profile

Unread postby jaycamm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Considering that bourbon can be exposed to air for decades in the barrel, it is my opinion that time in an open bottle will have relatively little detrimental effect.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Return to Bourbon, Straight