EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT - SEE INSIDE

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT - SEE INSIDE

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:42 pm

In a slugfest that went the full 15 rounds, Fighting Cock managed to win a decision on points over the old man of bourbon, Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. Fighting Cock utilized that well-known Heaven Hill rich sweetness, to land some punches against the Jim Beam sweet oilyness in a split decision.

In the ring both relied on the rye and danced a spicy jig to the tune of 'Born in the USA'. The judge who broke the tie reported, in a rather sheepish admission, that he thought the FC was the more 'polished' of the two, and said that he thought the Dad had a tad too much 'bite' and subtracted points from Dad for being a bit oily. He was quick to point out, however, that not once did he see the Dad bite the ear of the Cock.

It was a good clean fight, with a rematch bound to be in the works, possibly at another venue (hint, hint).

The Cock strutted and fretted his time upon the stage, full of sound and fury, and the crowd, ever in need of new stimulation, grew bored and asked for a 'wheater'.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT - SEE INSIDE

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Rofl brilliant!
Bob Barker

Unread postby RaksAbijah » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Oooh. I have a bottle of Fighting Cock. Now I'm pissed that I got the Old Grand Dad 86 instead of the Bottled in Bond. Now I can't sic them equitably against each other. (BIB is a little hard to come across in my area). Who can I sic my Fighting Cock on and who can I sic my OGD 86 on?
RaksAbijah

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:22 pm

RaksAbijah wrote: Who can I sic my Fighting Cock on and who can I sic my OGD 86 on?

you could sic the OGD 86 against a glass of water....

id bet on the water

the OGD 114 is a whole different beast though, which id put up against nearly anything. especially dollar-for-dollar value, it will win every time!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:34 am

Brilliant post as always Mike. I think that Old Grand Dad 114 would have been the more equal match with the extra age and proof on the bonded Old Grand Dad.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby JPBoston » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm

bourbonv wrote:Brilliant post as always Mike. I think that Old Grand Dad 114 would have been the more equal match with the extra age and proof on the bonded Old Grand Dad.

But the Bonded version is much more on par on both proof and price... at least in my neck of the woods.

Fighting Cock 103 proof - $16.99

OGD Bonded 100 proof - $18.99

OGD 114 proof - $24.99

OGD 114, while an excellent value... is in a different 'weight class' (to stay within the theme of the op).
JPBoston

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 pm

JPBoston wrote:
bourbonv wrote:Brilliant post as always Mike. I think that Old Grand Dad 114 would have been the more equal match with the extra age and proof on the bonded Old Grand Dad.

But the Bonded version is much more on par on both proof and price... at least in my neck of the woods.

Fighting Cock 103 proof - $16.99

OGD Bonded 100 proof - $18.99

OGD 114 proof - $24.99

OGD 114, while an excellent value... is in a different 'weight class' (to stay within the theme of the op).

Come to PA. They're closing the 114 out at 17.99.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Bourbon, Straight