Jim Beam Devil's Cut

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Jim Beam Devil's Cut

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Why no review's? Why no place to review it? I'm having some right now and would like to review it.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Re: Jim Beam Devil's Cut

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Wasatch wrote:Why no review's? Why no place to review it? I'm having some right now and would like to review it.

In your honor, Wasatch, I just tasted it again after finding it 'wanting' in the past. It has that Beam sweetness that I like and is better than I remembered. The finish is reliable and decent. Compared it to the vastly overrated Larceny............ Larceny is cheap bourbon at a higher than worthy cost, with a nasty finish. Only my opinions, of course.

Try Larceny at about $20 against Four Roses Single Barrel (I bought a bottle today for $26). If you think Larceny is within $6 of FRSB, my suggestion to you is to drink even cheaper bourbon.......... Only my opinions, of course.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:41 pm

I picked up the DC in Vegas a couple of weeks ago for $20 (750ml), it's pretty good for that price. Larcency is not around here. I would like to put a formal review of it, but it's not available here on this site.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:32 am

I poured a nice Larceny over ice last night as part of this study. It's quite a bit better than some of the cheap stuff I have had recently, but it has a simple profile, the finish is nice though.

That said it is only good at the right price and Mike is correct, it' is not within $6 of Four Roses Single Barrel. My thought is that its overpriced at $22/750 here in Louisvilee, but at $39/1.75 it is a good value. I will say that Larceny is better than Makers Mark for less money. Nice Mid-grade stuff that is not hugely engaging.

Who knows, maybe Old Fitz is the same stuff for less money, I haven't had Old Fitz so I would claim that I have. Distillers have been known to put the same stuff in different bottles and jack up the price.

As For Devils Cut, I have had a little, and liked it, but I still think better stuff is available at similar prices, including Knob Creek and Beam Black. Devils Cut is a bit of a gimmick. I thought it gave me head ache, but it might have been something else, maybe God was going to give me a headache that evening regardless of what I drank.
Birdo

Unread postby ebo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:17 am

I've had one bottle of Devil's Cut. It isn't great and it isn't bad. I do like the finish. The only thing keeping me from purchasing another bottle is the price. If it was $10.00 cheaper, I'd keep it around.
ebo

Unread postby Squire » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Yeah, I can't figure that, why is the leftover Bourbon more expensive?
Squire

Unread postby ethangsmith » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 pm

It seems the bad reviews on the Devil's Cut go in two directions- People either think it's vile, disgusting liquid or they simply believe it is overpriced but still decent bourbon. My opinion is this- We must keep in mind this is a unique product. Not only is the profile going to be much different than what the seasoned bourbon drinker is going to expect, but the extraction process of the whiskey does take a little more time and manpower. Not to mention it's bottled at 90 proof instead of the 80 of the white label or 86 of the black label. I think people hear it's 4 year old white label bourbon and expect simple, grainy, and sweet. Grainy and sweet it is, but it brings a woody tannin flavor with it too. It's like pouring white label and knob creek together. You get a bourbon with all sorts of flavors and a very non-traditional flavor profile. It has elements of young and old whiskey. You can't let this throw you off, you must understand what you are actually drinking. Does the extra extraction time and equipment add up to the asking price? Tough to say. This is a product being marketed by Beam to a younger, less price-conscious crowd- therefore, Beam is naturally going to milk it for what it's worth (Sorta like that brown water called Jack Daniel's....). Do I like it? Yes. I find it a nice difference from the norm now and then. Do I like the price? I, too would keep it around more often if it was a tad cheaper. I feel it is a bit expensive too, but if they're selling bottles, there's certainly lots of people that don't think it's too out of line!
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I paid $20 for a 750ml. What is the going price for it?
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby ethangsmith » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Here in PA- the land of government controlled liquor- it's about $25 per bottle.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:51 pm

Devils cut is good for the price it is a slightly woody version of Jim beam black. Pretty straightforward. Nothing unbelievable but solid bourbon for the $20~ price tag
Bob Barker

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Mike wrote:
Wasatch wrote:Why no review's? Why no place to review it? I'm having some right now and would like to review it.

In your honor, Wasatch, I just tasted it again after finding it 'wanting' in the past. It has that Beam sweetness that I like and is better than I remembered. The finish is reliable and decent. Compared it to the vastly overrated Larceny............ Larceny is cheap bourbon at a higher than worthy cost, with a nasty finish. Only my opinions, of course.

Try Larceny at about $20 against Four Roses Single Barrel (I bought a bottle today for $26). If you think Larceny is within $6 of FRSB, my suggestion to you is to drink even cheaper bourbon.......... Only my opinions, of course.

Where the heck are you buying Four Roses Single Barrel for $26? Good lord.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby MauiSon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Yeah, I don't think using a $26 price tag on FRSB to compare with other bourbons is very realistic - our price in HI is $45. Admittedly, I won't pay that price and prefer supporting UPS and FedEx rather than price-gouging distributors/retailers.
MauiSon

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 pm

The bottle I bought was absolute garbage. But, then again, I'm not a Beam fan.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:16 pm

WhiskeyBro wrote:
Where the heck are you buying Four Roses Single Barrel for $26? Good lord.

My sentiment exactly. FRSB is $36.99 in one big chain store here, the other has it for $42.99. Not exactly in the same pricing league as Larceny.

I think the most fair comparison is MM. Both wheaters, both within two proof points of each other, and both in the low $20's for price (though Maker's has really dipped in price the last year or two --- it used to be more mid-to-high $20's if I remember correctly). I find Larceny to be the more interesting of the two, by far. Not a revelation, but I enjoy it enough to want to purchase it again.
JPBoston

Unread postby Eggman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:44 am

Howdy,

Yuck.
Eggman

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight