Bourbon for best man

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon for best man

Unread postby Raczkowski » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:34 am

Just signed up for this site but looking to get my best man a nice bottle of bourbon as one of his gifts, or a couple bottles of great bourbon. Just want some advice here. I wanna spend about 125 for the bourbons. He loves wofford reserve. That's his staple bourbon when he wants something decent but I want to get him something a little better than that. Any recommendations would be helpful. I've been to the store and they have 4roses, WT Kentucky spirit, and they have one In a glass case called Jefferson's I think? Any input would be greatly appreciated guys!
Raczkowski

Re: Bourbon for best man

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 am

Definately the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Their Rare Breed would be a nice addition as well (two turkeys are better than one :mrgreen: ). If that Jefferson's is an 18 year old, or better yet, a 17 year old, that would be special indeed. It will say Jefferson's Presidential. Four Roses is good stuff too.

Cheers.
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Raczkowski » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 pm

The Jefferson is 21 year old and is 150.00. I think I'd rather get him two nice bottles rather than just 1 super nice. I think they have all the ones that the abover poster listed so ill pick out two from there unless the unanimous verdict is splurge and get him the Jefferson.
Raczkowski

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Wow, a Jefferson's 21. That's what they go for unfortunately. Others he will likely be partial to, seeing he likes Woodford, which is a spicey bourbon (to me at least) would be Rowans Creek, Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, and maybe Willet's. If they have a bottle of Woodford Double Oak, that would make an interesting choice as well.

If they have Blanton's, I'd pair that one with the Kentucky Spirit. The Rare Breed is more cost consious so he can get one of those later without stretching his comfort zone as it's the same price as Woodford.

RG

Oh, and congratulations on the engagement and subsequent wedding.
RandyG

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:21 pm

depends on HIS tastes. everyone is different. if someone gave me some 4R or some WT, id appreciate the gesture far more than that bourbon. if he, as you said, "loves" Woodford, give him a woodford and something else one of these guys are mentioning.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bob Barker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:09 pm

I love woodford personally so I would Highly Recommend the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It's fantastic for $50~. Other suggestions given his taste would be Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit if u can find it. I would also throw in maybe Eagle rare 10yo or Johnny Drum Private Stock if u have $25~ left in the budget that u need to fill.
Bob Barker

Unread postby PaulO » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:41 pm

I think if your friend likes Woodford, he might not necessarily like an extra aged bourbon. I second the nomination for Blanton's. :D
PaulO

Unread postby Bob Barker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 pm

I third the blantons reccommendation it is a great dram!
Bob Barker

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:53 pm

guess it depends on where you live.....around here in KY, $125 would get you a woodford, a blantons, and a good WT. who wouldnt like all that?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:57 pm

4RSB

WTRB

EVSB 2003

Weller 12.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Edward Ronald » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:26 am

Bourbon and Woodford Double Oak are best to use. The cost is normal for these both brands.
Edward Ronald

Unread postby Squire » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:59 pm

When gifting I like to choose something they will appreciate but not necessarily buy for themselves, so in this case I would look hard at Parker's Heritage Collection, BT's Antique Collection, Four Roses Limited Editions, or, if you have access to them, some dustys like the Bourbon Heritage Collection.
Squire

Unread postby carddoug » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd go with the Jefferson's 21 (it's amazing!).

Or maybe rock hill farms (my favorite) If you can find it there!
carddoug

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:15 am

Squire wrote:When gifting I like to choose something they will appreciate but not necessarily buy for themselves, so in this case I would look hard at Parker's Heritage Collection, BT's Antique Collection, Four Roses Limited Editions, or, if you have access to them, some dustys like the Bourbon Heritage Collection.

Squire has a point but be forewarned about how hard it can be to find bottles of the buffalo trace antique collection and Parker's heritage collection. Incredible drams but also very hard to find...
Bob Barker

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 pm

There might still be some 2012 Four Roses Small Batch Ltd. Ed. on the shelves. Really good stuff!

RG
RandyG

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight