Decanters

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Decanters

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi as the title states i have been tempted by some JIm Beam collectible decanters from the 1970's, what is your view on these are you able to store bourbon or other whiskies in them or are they just there for looks.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: Decanters

Unread postby PaulO » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:20 pm

I have heard of people drinking the bourbon from the old Jim Beam collectable bottles. If the JB decanter is empty, then I would consider it a decoration. I think that most people would use a clear glass decanter to store something to serve.
PaulO

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Okay damn shame, my grandpa had a fighting cock one that is stuck in my memory.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Bob Barker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:23 pm

I agree with Paulo I think if they are empty the best thing to do would be to use a newer decanter as the old bottles could really throw some unexpected funk in the whiskey.
Bob Barker

Unread postby stresssolutions » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 am

My question is: why use one at all? Unless you're disguising an Old Crow or Cabin Still for a party; or if you only ever drink one type of bourbon...but you run the risk of spilling when transferring from the orig bottle to the decanter, and a smooth glass bottle is a lot easier to wipe off the dust....

One store here has dozens of very old decanters on display, and they are very neat....but I just can't see using one....and I've been wrong before....
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:05 pm

I like novelty but i agree its why i got a flask easier to transport and i can put whatever i want into it.
GBrough

Unread postby Squire » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I inherited a set which we used for years but I doubt I would have ever bought any.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Squire wrote:I inherited a set which we used for years but I doubt I would have ever bought any.

pouring from bottle to decanter to glass would seriously cut down on the time for your hourly VOB/OGD pours too!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:50 am

A determined man will find a way Doug.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight