Favorite Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Favorite Bourbon

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm a member of several different bourbon sites, and this question has come up before elsewhere. Most times, I've been half kidding and half serious when I reply with, "The one in my hand." I say half kidding/serious, because I believe that ones tastes change over time. At least mine does. What I really like today, I might not care as much for six months down the road. That being said.....

My two favorite "categories" of bourbon are wheaters and BIB's. Love 'em both, with the wheaters coming out on top by a narrow margin. Weller 12 was the first bourbon that turned my head and made me go "Hmmmmm." I'd have to say that my favorite semi-regular/everyday pour would be Weller 12. My favorite "special" pour would be the 2007 WLW. I switch things up every so often, but it seems I always come back around to my beloved Wellers. :D YMMV.

Cheers! Joe
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, the creamy dryness and the spice is to appetizing that i am trying to find a replacement.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Some years ago I was tolt by experienced bourbon drinkers that to pick, or even try to pick, a favorite bourbon is a foolish enterprise. There is nothing to be gained by that. They were right, choose the one for your particular mood or taste on that day, it won't be the same one every day or you will be depriving yoself.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 pm

That is true, most days i want a rye punch in my whiskey other days the lightness of macallan directors sounds good.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:20 pm

If I could drink anything? PVW20.

Other than that it's a toss-up between Lot B, 4RSmB and Rare Breed.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby carddoug » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:55 pm

My favorite is Rock Hil Farms.... I also really like William Larue Weller from the buffalo trace antique collection.
carddoug

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:09 pm

carddoug wrote:My favorite is Rock Hil Farms.... I also really like William Larue Weller from the buffalo trace antique collection.

Is rockhill that good, i had blanton's and i found it to be rather upsetting.
GBrough

Unread postby Squire » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Yes, Rock Hill Farms is very good. What is it about Blanton's that you found upsetting?
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:11 am

Squire wrote:Yes, Rock Hill Farms is very good. What is it about Blanton's that you found upsetting?

I don't know overall i heard so much about how good it was that when i had it i was let down, it had no pizzazz is the only way i can put it, the bourbon felt flat if it didn't cost upwards of 40 bucks i would consider giving it a second chance.
GBrough

Unread postby carddoug » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:49 am

Yeah, rock hills is the best man! I like it a lot more than blantons.... Although I like blantons too though.
carddoug

Unread postby Squire » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes, Blantons was designed to be a crowd pleaser rather than a knock your socks off heavyweight.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Squire wrote:Yes, Blantons was designed to be a crowd pleaser rather than a knock your socks off heavyweight.

And it shows, the profile is very run of the mill when i compare it with Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit or other single barrels i have had the pleasure of tasting.
GBrough

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:29 am

fishnbowljoe wrote:I'm a member of several different bourbon sites, and this question has come up before elsewhere. Most times, I've been half kidding and half serious when I reply with, "The one in my hand."

Very well said. I find that 'different but equal' applies to many bourbons I've tried, and any one of a large (and growing) number of 'favorites' will make me shake my head wondering why I don't drink more of it, at any given time, when I give it a chance.

That said -- I guess the bourbons that I gravitate to most would be KC, BT, OGD 100/114 and a 60/40 blend of OWA and Weller 12yr.
JPBoston

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight